Dead battery after sitting for 4 days

sddale2001

Buick
After our car was sitting for a long weekend the battery was drained. I jumped it and tried to look for something that was left on but I could not find anything and it's been fine for a week. When I called the dealer the service person said that it "could be" normal for a car to drain the battery after sitting for even a day unused if it normally is driven daily. I cannot believe that this has any truth to it.

Has anyone experienced this? How long have you gone without driving the car?

Thanks

Foursoors

2014 Buick Encore Convenience
People leave cars at airports all the time and expect them to start up when they get back. Definitely not the norm.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
1. How old is the battery?
2. Using a voltmeter what is the battery voltage with the engine running?
3. what is the battery voltage immediately after shutting off the vehicle?
4. what is the battery voltage after the vehicle has sat for 24 hours?

sddale2001

Buick
1. How old is the battery?
2. Using a voltmeter what is the battery voltage with the engine running?
3. what is the battery voltage immediately after shutting off the vehicle?
4. what is the battery voltage after the vehicle has sat for 24 hours?
Bought the car 11 months ago. I did not take the voltage readings. The dealer should be able to figure out if it is a bad battery/alternator. I am more worried that the voltage will come up fine and they will say everything is ok without investigating further to find something causing a slow drain while the car is off. Since we drive the car daily it would not die on us till we take a trip and leave the car over the weekend.

The Pool Man

Buick
When I called the dealer the service person said that it "could be" normal for a car to drain the battery after sitting for even a day unused if it normally is driven daily. I cannot believe that this has any truth to it.
Because that's likely horse-shinola.

Unless he meant, "Even if you use a car daily the battery can die in a day IF YOU LEAVE A LIGHT ON inside the car." Then that statement makes perfect sense.

What bugs me (and now I don't need to ask) is if the Encore has that feature that turns the car electrics off if it suspects the car has been parked for more than an hour. On Facebook I complained to my friends that IF we must endure cars that can drive themselves how about a car that can turn off it's own lights if left on and parked. A friend said, "My Ford already does that."

Last edited:

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
I did leave Encore for three weeks last year when in vacation, and the battery was OK. Same as on my previous cars, so I don't think there is anything specific about Encore's battery. Just make sure you turn off everything possible when you leave it for extended time. If you still worry, disconnect battery from the ground so even small discharge current is gone.

ljmattox

St. Louis Metro USA
Encore
Not normal behavior for our Encore, it's our "3rd car" and often sits a week or more without being driven. Starts right up.

Just to rule things out, I assume there's nothing plugged into a 12v outlet? Some GM cars have those "live" even with key off, I don't know if the Encore is that way for sure, however.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
Yes the dealer should be able to figure that out but you have to make an appointment and bring the car in and ignore what they told you on the phone. Tell them it happened again and they have to load test the battery, check the charging system, and check for a parasitic drain.

sddale2001

Buick
There was nothing plugged into the usb or 12v outlet. After jumping it I looked around to see if any light switches were on and they were all off.

The dealer called me yesterday afternoon and said that the battery, alternator and charging system checked out fine so I could come and pick the car up. I asked if they were able to check for any parasitic draw and she just said anything that might be drawing on the system would have shown up during their testing. They kept the car overnight to test it after it sits for a longer period of time.

Detroit, USA
There was nothing plugged into the usb or 12v outlet. After jumping it I looked around to see if any light switches were on and they were all off.

The dealer called me yesterday afternoon and said that the battery, alternator and charging system checked out fine so I could come and pick the car up. I asked if they were able to check for any parasitic draw and she just said anything that might be drawing on the system would have shown up during their testing. They kept the car overnight to test it after it sits for a longer period of time.
Hi sddale2001,

We're sorry to hear that your Encore is experiencing battery issues, but we're glad that you're working with your dealer to resolve it. Please keep us updated on how the tests go and feel free to send us a private message if you would like any further assistance. We'd be happy to contact your dealer on your behalf to provide an additional layer of support.

Regards,
Vivian K.
Buick Customer Care

sddale2001

Buick
The dealership was not able to find anything wrong with the car. If the problem occurs again I will update this thread.

CarbonBlackCXS

After our car was sitting for a long weekend the battery was drained. I jumped it and tried to look for something that was left on but I could not find anything and it's been fine for a week. When I called the dealer the service person said that it "could be" normal for a car to drain the battery after sitting for even a day unused if it normally is driven daily. I cannot believe that this has any truth to it.

Thanks
My own experience is GM is putting batteries in that are too small in capacity for the vehicle. Many new vehicles have a high key-off current draw just to keep the electronics alive and will drain the batteries faster than what is considered 'normal'. A few manufacturers like Mercedes are even supplying battery maintainers with their cars to help owners keep them charged for times when they are not driven frequently. Since new I was having similar issues with my LaCrosse where the battery would be dead after being parked in the garage for a few days. I've since put in a higher capacity battery and no longer have such issues. Keep in mind the high key-off current draw remains and the battery will still eventually be depleted but a larger capacity battery will last longer. Check the CCA on the battery in your car and compare it with what's available. You'll likely find yours is at the smaller end. If like me you frequently leave your car parked for extended times a small battery maintainer would help as well. I use a Battery Tender Jr.

G-684477

Thanks
I have a 2014 Encore that I bought new. I had no problems at all for almost 5 years. Then I was stranded with a dead battery. The battery was replaced. All was fine for 6 months. Then after a long weekend without driving it, the battery was completely dead. The dealer charged it up but could not say why it died. They also gave me the “you don’t drive it enough” excuse. I have left this car undriven for a week while traveling on business and never had an issue with the battery.
They also said that using the Bluetooth could drain the battery. What a crock. My driving habits are no different now than the first 5 years. The only difference is the new battery!!

poncho167

2019 Essence
I have a 2014 Encore that I bought new. I had no problems at all for almost 5 years. Then I was stranded with a dead battery. The battery was replaced. All was fine for 6 months. Then after a long weekend without driving it, the battery was completely dead. The dealer charged it up but could not say why it died. They also gave me the “you don’t drive it enough” excuse. I have left this car undriven for a week while traveling on business and never had an issue with the battery.
They also said that using the Bluetooth could drain the battery. What a crock. My driving habits are no different now than the first 5 years. The only difference is the new battery!!
It sounds like something is draining the battery such as a frayed wire? Interior lights if left on automatically turn off after 10-minutes. Is the radio going off after you shut the door?

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
These vehicles have a sensor on the ground wire that should stop this from happening. Did you add any accessories like a remote start? I've actually did not tried this on my Encore but on my Trax and it really works, the system some how knows you left something on and it shuts everything down when the battery reaches 12.0 volts. Now I never tried on my Buick but they have the exact same circuitry and service manual which I own. So I'm assuming they work the same since they have the same ground sensor at the exact same place near the battery. Further proof was when I added to my Trax the Fog lights and forgot to run the ground wire through the sensor, it was giving me codes.

poncho167

2019 Essence
These vehicles have a sensor on the ground wire that should stop this from happening. Did you add any accessories like a remote start? I've actually did not tried this on my Encore but on my Trax and it really works, the system some how knows you left something on and it shuts everything down when the battery reaches 12.0 volts. Now I never tried on my Buick but they have the exact same circuitry and service manual which I own. So I'm assuming they work the same since they have the same ground sensor at the exact same place near the battery. Further proof was when I added to my Trax the Fog lights and forgot to run the ground wire through the sensor, it was giving me codes.
I would like to get my hands on a late model service manual for the Encore but neither Clymer/Haynes doesn't sell one. The OEM ones cost a couple hundred bucks.

HotZ28

1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
If a car battery ever goes down to 12v, it is DOA and will not start the car!! Normal battery voltage whith engine not running should be 12.67v+. When first starting the engine, you should see up to 14v+ on the battery with a meter if the alternator/regulator is working as designed.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
12.67 is a bit precise. lol. Nominal voltage on a Lead Acid is 12.3Volts and for your info you could lose a cell be at 10.25V and your car would still start. Some sensors on newer vehicle need a regulated 11V to work properly but the vehicle would still run. Including our Buicks.

Last edited:
Turbo Buick Badge