Dealer installed trailer hitch for the GX - weight limit question . . .

reicher

Buick Ownership
2017 Regal Sport Touring, 2021 Encore GX
We had the dealer install the trailer hitch on our 2021 GX and I cannot find much info about it.
Does anyone know the weight limit for this hitch?

I admit it looks sharp, but sadly it's a 1 1/4 inch receiver - I would have much preferred a 2 inch - does the factory make a 2 inch version?

We did not have them install any wiring as we do not intend to tow with it - we just wanted it for a bike rack.

reicher

Buick Ownership
Looking at the receipt is says;

600003508 Hitch pkg - I have googled for it to no avail.

they also removed the trim and replaced it with the bumper trim for the hitch.
As I mentioned, it looks excellent, I just don't have any specs on the hitch - overall weight and tongue weight are not listed anywhere.

Thanks for any assistance

reicher

Buick Ownership
AHA!

I think I found it listed;

1,000-lb.-Capacity Hitch - no indication of the tongue weight though.

Since we will be using it to carry two bikes, and the bike rack is ~100 pounds and each bike ~30 pounds I should be fine.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
We had the dealer install the trailer hitch on our 2021 GX and I cannot find much info about it.
Does anyone know the weight limit for this hitch?

I admit it looks sharp, but sadly it's a 1 1/4 inch receiver - I would have much preferred a 2 inch - does the factory make a 2 inch version?

We did not have them install any wiring as we do not intend to tow with it - we just wanted it for a bike rack.
No one makes a 2" receiver for this car, or most small cars with such a small limited towing capacity.

Have you considered a hitch adaptor?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Brophy/hes6.html

reicher

Buick Ownership
No one makes a 2" receiver for this car, or most small cars with such a small limited towing capacity.

Have you considered a hitch adaptor?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Brophy/hes6.html

DocBrown - yes, I have considered that option to use our old bike rack, but, I think I will get the wife a shiny new one for the GX - our old one is heavy and kind of a piece of junk quite frankly -

Thanks - I am glad to know the base specs of the hitch at least

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
DocBrown - yes, I have considered that option to use our old bike rack, but, I think I will get the wife a shiny new one for the GX - our old one is heavy and kind of a piece of junk quite frankly -

Thanks - I am glad to know the base specs of the hitch at least

I know the feeling. I just bought a new to me truck that's never had anything in the receiver. The paint in it is still shiny. Our bike rack is a 14 year old Swagman but built better than any of the over priced plastic junk that Thule or Yakima sells. I repainted it over last weekend. Looks like new.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!