• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Dealers push service

hotshot

Buick Ownership
2017 Regal AWD
Hello: I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom on this forum about dealers that try to push additional service when a car is brought in for routine maintenance as per the Owner's Manual. I have a 2017 Regal with 13,000 Kms (Around 8120 miles),
which I brought to the dealer for a tire rotation and oil change. He tried to tell me that the front and rear brakes need to be serviced. I asked why? On the invoice it stated that at the next service I'd also need to have Emission Control System service, Injector cleaning and throttle cleaning service. I've had this car since March 2018, and put few miles (kms) on it yearly. On all
my previous cars, I did most of the maintenance myself, but now I'm getting too old and am letting the dealer do it, but I don't like getting ripped off with service that is unneeded. The Owner's Manual doesn't mention any of the services that the dealer is pushing. My last Regal I had from 2011 to 2017, with a tire puncture being the only problem. What do you all think
Thank you.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Why exactly would the brakes need to be serviced at 8,120 miles, do you drive with two feet and ride the brake?
Concerning the other services at the rate you are putting miles on you wont need any of that done for years.
I've had mine since February of 2018 and just coming up on the second oil change per the OLM, with less than 12k miles.
Nothing else done or needs to be done.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Some service terms used are designed to make it sound more important than what may or may not be done or really needed. This will be on a dealer, service writer or tech basis as not all are the same, some good and of course some bad.

What you can do as a consumer is start by asking "why", "show me", "where is that written", "how did that get determined", "please return my used parts", "what will be done", any or all will apply. I'm sure more questions can be included, but the idea is to start asking for the proof not just some terms on a service sheet.

If have basic automotive knowledge you ahead of most, but I sorry to say for others it's a easy profit margin for the service department. It used to be that if you found a one eldely owner Buick more than likely it was over serviced, which is a shame.

hotshot

Buick Ownership
2017 Regal AWD
MelsRegal and 2007LucerneCXL: Thank you for your replies. With regard to the brake service, the advisor claimed it was needed not because of the mileage, but because I'd had the car for 18 months, and if the brakes get little use, they need service. What a load of BS! As to the other stuff recommended for the next service, I'm going to ignore their suggestion. In all the cars I've owner over the last 50 years, I don't recall ever having to clean the injectors, throttle body or service the emission control system, even on the cars that had them! :)Thanks again for your wisdom.
Regards

Pedal Commander