• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Dealership Scam

LLC

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hello fellow TourX-ers Can you give me some advice? I took my 2018 TourX to the dealership for an oil change (only). (Big mistake). The service advisor told me I needed a "major service" consisting of air filter, cabin filter and fuel system service. The car has 28K miles on it. I reluctantly agreed, thinking they know the car and what it needs. $474 later I check the owners manual and I realized NONE of those services are recommended until 45K miles. I feel taken advantage of. Any recommendations other than never returning to that dealership?

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
I would just avoid that dealership in question, they upselled and you bought it. The 2 filters + a bottle of fuel additive is probably all that was done and could be done in your driveway for about $40. Nothing you can really do now.

I usually recommend people take their cars to small independent mechanics for routine maintenance. Dealership is only for warranty related or special service stuff.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
On a 2019 the cabin filter is listed to be replaced at 22,500 miles, dealers always overcharge for changing them.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Depending on driving conditions some items may need replacement before the maintenance schedule information. It's a guideline on suggest time frame and is usually a mileage and/or years with notes on type of driving service or environmental conditions. Logic and common sense needs to be applied on all the services.

Ask for the cost and documentation / reason for the recommended service then you have the option to proceed or decline to do additional research. Unfortunately I know individuals who say "OK if you think I need it" which have been taken advantage of by service shops, dealers and independent, which can result in unnecessary parts or a excessive cost. If you know someone who may have more automotive knowledge ask them about what is being presented.

LLC

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I would just avoid that dealership in question, they upselled and you bought it. The 2 filters + a bottle of fuel additive is probably all that was done and could be done in your driveway for about $40. Nothing you can really do now.

I usually recommend people take their cars to small independent mechanics for routine maintenance. Dealership is only for warranty related or special service stuff.
Appreciate your reply. Thank you.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
Oil change, air filter, cabin filter seem reasonable to change after 2+ years in service, so the services seem ok. The price seems high though.

I live in an area with several good reputable dealers to choose from. If you are not satisfied with the Buick dealer keep in mind Chevy dealers will be happy to work on the Tourx as well - any GM dealer can perform warranty work for you when needed.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
The price is outrageous. The fuel service is total BS, the cabin filter is routine at 25k and the air filter isn’t a big deal. My Buick dealer would charge 49.95 for the oil change and 100.00 for the two filters. The Owners Manual is a great guide for what you do and do not need. You will notice that the page is pretty blank as not much is needed until 100k. I would take this up with the General Manager of the dealership and ask for a credit of half of the bill.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I change my own cabin and air filters, each takes about 5-7 minutes. I found a guy on Youtube changing those on a Malibu, our cars are very similar. I use K&N for engine filter, just had it replaced at 50,000 miles. I could've also had it cleaned and re-oiled, but I figured since it lasts 50k miles I am saving a lot of money vs changing paper filters every 7-10k miles anyway. It is available on Amazon and Walmart.com.
Cabin filters - I get ACDelco charcoal from rockauto.com.
My dealer tried to upsell induction service, I am still wondering if I need it at 53,000 miles.
Big service items you need: transmission fluid change at 45,000 miles if you drive a lot and spark plugs at 60,000 miles. Brake fluid replaced at 3 years, but ask if they bleed the lines. Many dealers don't even do it.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Ask the price BEFORE you say yes to any work. Better yet, say
NO, then check around, (owners manual, this forum, etc) before you consent to any extra work.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Engine Air Filter is EASY to change. So easy, I sometimes remove it and “back” vacuum clean it using either my home vacuum or the powerful one at local car wash. Philips Screwdriver. Screws will not fall out. (Good design).

Cabin filter a little harder to change. Drop Glove Box door (clips hold door up) Filter sits back there. Although I’ve not changed it on my Tour-XI’ve changed others that are located in the same area. In my opinion, changing this filter is a complete waste of time and money. I had a Continental that I finally checked the cabin filter at 90+k miles. Good airflow but I wanted to check it. Lots of tree leaves and dirt. Shook the loose dirt off, back vacuumed and put it back in. Still had same cabin filter when I traded car at 130+K miles.

Fuel line injector cleaner another rip off. Today’s fuel contains 10% Ethanol which keeps the fuel system clean.

Sorry, but you got “took”. 🤬😤

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Fuel system service is so mething that's usually an additive in the tank and a throttle body cleaning. At least it was when I worked at the VW dealer 12 years ago...some writers would sell the crap outs the service, they got perks for it. Most cars needed the throttle cleaned anyway. But yeah, for the work done, it's an overcharge. Your paying full tilt for the parts to start, then it's a flat raye to change the filters, figure the labor rate is at least 100 an hour too.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Hello fellow TourX-ers Can you give me some advice? I took my 2018 TourX to the dealership for an oil change (only). (Big mistake). The service advisor told me I needed a "major service" consisting of air filter, cabin filter and fuel system service. The car has 28K miles on it. I reluctantly agreed, thinking they know the car and what it needs. $474 later I check the owners manual and I realized NONE of those services are recommended until 45K miles. I feel taken advantage of. Any recommendations other than never returning to that dealership?
If it makes you feel any better I change those filters at least every 20,000 miles anyway.
The fuel system service was probably the bigger cost and likely unnecessary at that mileage.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The OP had the dealer install the navigation SD card and considered that a scam, so doubtful all the "I" posts on doing the filter are of any use. So the OP will either ask on the service and cost before authorizing or will spend money and ask on the forum later if it's a scam.

Sorry for the OP's experiences.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Also for a lot of more expensive repairs I will get a 2nd opinion/estimate. Can save you lots of money.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Engine air filter is spec'd to be changed every 45k miles and shouldn't be touched before that. I doubt this car is different, but I have been taught that those are one-time seals. Open that box and you risk never getting that seal 100% again. Hello dirty turbo air!

Dunno why people bother with K&N snake oil as well. Paper filters are cheap and provide more flow than is needed for this 2.0.

I guess I'm just a Paper Filter ASS man.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Engine air filter is spec'd to be changed every 45k miles and shouldn't be touched before that. I doubt this car is different, but I have been taught that those are one-time seals. Open that box and you risk never getting that seal 100% again. Hello dirty turbo air!

Dunno why people bother with K&N snake oil as well. Paper filters are cheap and provide more flow than is needed for this 2.0.

I guess I'm just a Paper Filter ASS man.
Engine air filter box is opened by service techs every time I change oil at the dealer, so there is no dirt that gets there. As far as K&N goes, it has around 300% more area for the air flow vs standard paper filter. I like mine and I don't think $60 is that much of an investment. K&N can also last a lifetime of the car if you choose to clean it every 50,000 miles. I actually love my car the way it is, I did not do any mods on it at all besides K&N filter and noico sound insulation.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Engine Air Filter is EASY to change. So easy, I sometimes remove it and “back” vacuum clean it using either my home vacuum or the powerful one at local car wash. Philips Screwdriver. Screws will not fall out. (Good design).

Cabin filter a little harder to change. Drop Glove Box door (clips hold door up) Filter sits back there. Although I’ve not changed it on my Tour-XI’ve changed others that are located in the same area. In my opinion, changing this filter is a complete waste of time and money. I had a Continental that I finally checked the cabin filter at 90+k miles. Good airflow but I wanted to check it. Lots of tree leaves and dirt. Shook the loose dirt off, back vacuumed and put it back in. Still had same cabin filter when I traded car at 130+K miles.

Fuel line injector cleaner another rip off. Today’s fuel contains 10% Ethanol which keeps the fuel system clean.

Sorry, but you got “took”. 🤬😤
While you technically don't need to change your cabin air filter, it starts to smell after a year or two and since it gets wet and full of dust there will be tons of germs, mold and bacteria growing there. These reasons are good enough for me to spend that $19 every 25,000 miles or so. But you can always vacuum the old filter and put it back.
RockAuto has these ACDelco CF184 for $14.29 + shipping and they also have cheaper options for charcoal filters starting from $5.32.

Last edited:

1500cc

Ontario
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
The manual for my 2018 GS says to change the cabin filter every 36,000 km. I just had the dealer change the oil a couple of weeks ago and they recommended changing the cabin filter, I said no, but now I wish I'd looked at the owner's manual so I could have called them out on trying to sell services that aren't recommended by GM.

As for the engine air filter, back in my 4th gen F-body days, I recall someone doing a dyno test with the factory filter, K&N, and no filter, and I'm pretty sure the K&N came in last, and even no filter had a meaningless difference from the factory paper filter. With something like this that can have significant impacts on the life of your engine, I wouldn't chance anything but what the factory says. Regarding when to change it, the manual says 72,000 km, so unless you drive in dusty conditions, I see no reason to do it any sooner. It's not like the days of carburetors where a dirty filter affected fuel economy; with fuel injection it makes no difference.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Engine air filter box is opened by service techs every time I change oil at the dealer, so there is no dirt that gets there. As far as K&N goes, it has around 300% more area for the air flow vs standard paper filter. I like mine and I don't think $60 is that much of an investment. K&N can also last a lifetime of the car if you choose to clean it every 50,000 miles. I actually love my car the way it is, I did not do any mods on it at all besides K&N filter and noico sound insulation.
To each their own. Paper filters are cheap. $60 in paper filters would get me 141k miles doing the 45k mile change interval. If you are concerned that they are plugging up early, put a filter minder on it like the big rig truck guys or insane TDI guys do so you can watch it without opening that box. The turbo puts a lot of pressure on that little air filter seal, so I will stick to not touching it until the 45k mile interval hits.

300% more surface area does nothing when the car is tuned for the paper filter and stock air box. Even with a tune the air filter is one of the last "mods" I would even worry about due to how much flow stock air boxes can support. Plus oil and MAFs do not get along from my experience.

But, I digress. I changed my cabin filter at the recommended interval and found it was mildly dirty with some bugs. New filter took 5 mins to install and was cheap.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Environmental conditions are a variable that will affect all filters. In Northern states during the winter little if anything is in the air, but summer months is when it's the heavier with material in the air. Pollen, dust, construction, farming, etc can all wind up in the filter so mileage really isn't a true measurement, visual inspection can determine if it's required or can be extended. Unfortunately depending on vehicle it may not always be that easy.