• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Decladding with new from bumper and rocker trim

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
For those of us thinking about removing the plastic cladding and replacing the bumper and rocker pillar trim I though a dedicated thread would be helpful. I've seen these items touched on in other threads but let's consolidate.

My main question is - what parts can be reused with the factory TourX parts and what needs to be replaced? I know Rori has gone through this process, but with a donor car. Has anyone started from scratch (like I'm considering)? Below are the images from GM Parts Direct for the Regal Sportback (Essence trim), and a link to the bumper page. Bumper & Components - Front for 2018 Buick Regal Sportback | GMPartsDirect.com

Again, just wondering what's required and what can we reuse? Curious what this project will cost. The rear will require Opel parts and I can live the cladding behind the rear wheels so think just focuses on the front and sides of the car. Thanks!

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Yeah - I do wish this forum were organized by categories vs just open, as the many posts covering it get sorta lost...sticky's would help too.

I've done a fair amount of research on it, but in full disclosure I have NOT ordered anything as I just don't want to spend the dough right now. So this is only based on my personal side by side comparison of exploded views (as seen in OP post) on "sportback" vs "TourX" on a few different GM parts websites.

FRONT BUMPER - Regular Sportback to TourX:

First off the TourX front bumper skin is really two pieces (upper and lower) whereas the regular sportback is one. The underneath bits are shared (fairings and fastener hardware) as are the fastener hardware for the bumper skin itself.

What appears unique (based on visual reference AND part #) are the bumper skin (#1), fog light bezels (#5 on this diagram), the fog light brightwork trim pieces (#8) the little trim strips connecting edge of fog light and the lower grille (#9) and the tow eye cap (#4).

I do know the TourX brightwork trim will not work on the sportback bumper skin (I actually went to the Buick dealer and looked at the sportback bumper as well). The sportback skin does not have the brightwork on the bottom (instead it's on the top) - as the bottom part is painted (and looks much better IMO). It does appear the sportback skin will fit on the TourX fog light bezel, but the bottom chrome piece from TourX will definitely go away. So - there would be no chrome anywhere in it after mounting the sportback bumper if TourX bezels were left as is. Not sure if it might look a little too stark - as the sportback bezel also has grille fins on the top (whereas TourX bezel is flat up top).

The grilles also need to be considered (not pictured here). The upper grille for the sportback has chrome surround, whereas the TourX is all black. The lower grille is shared. Yep - that means those silver bits on the TourX are tacked on - I'm gonna remove them once I can find the time to figure out how!

SIDE SKIRTS - GS to TourX

These are unique to the Sportback GS and would also need the rear insert (part #6 in diagram). Apparently there is NO front insert as seen in diagram (#5) - I haven't crawled under a GS (need to find one first - they're rare in these parts) to confirm. As I understand it from Rori - the mounting hardware is shared - and there are clips built into the side skirt to hang off the welded posts on the lower rockers.

That's what I was able to dig up. If someone wants to hand me $1k I will buy them and get 'em installed ;)

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback, Zaxer. I really don't want to spend that much. As much as I like this car, it's my wife's car and she could care less. I still have the urge to make it the sport wagon we all should have been able to purchase. Most of the front doesn't bother me. It's mainly the massive cladding over the wheels. I wonder it a bodyshop could fill in the area on the front bumper in the pic below and blend it to look correct. Then I could just buy the rocker sills and spend the savings on springs and wheels/tires. Thoughts on how fill-able the front is?

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback, Zaxer. I really don't want to spend that much. As much as I like this car, it's my wife's car and she could care less. I still have the urge to make it the sport wagon we all should have been able to purchase. Most of the front doesn't bother me. It's mainly the massive cladding over the wheels. I wonder it a bodyshop could fill in the area on the front bumper in the pic below and blend it to look correct. Then I could just buy the rocker sills and spend the savings on springs and wheels/tires. Thoughts on how fill-able the front is?
View attachment 16990
I agree with your direction - actually the front skin with the existing black sideskirts is ok for me. At least the black band is continuous on the bottom of the car from front to back. I am working on a mold for this section - my first attempt didn’t go so well - so I’m working up a much better solution to cast it. I will post an update once I figure that out...

stembridge

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
I bought the bumper cover and side skirts from GMpartsdirect and had them painted already. Also already installed an Opel grille in the cover. Waiting on Blitz Parts to figure out shipping from Germany for the rest of the items needed (also doing the rear bumper as part of decladding). Will eventually post photos when it’s all done.

es

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I bought the bumper cover and side skirts from GMpartsdirect and had them painted already. Also already installed an Opel grille in the cover. Waiting on Blitz Parts to figure out shipping from Germany for the rest of the items needed (also doing the rear bumper as part of decladding). Will eventually post photos when it’s all done.

es
So we can all be better informed, would you please share the cost to paint both the front skin and the side skirts?

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
So we can all be better informed, would you please share the cost to paint both the front skin and the side skirts?
Also curious exactly which parts were required for the bumper and rockers? Or did Zaxer nail it in his previous post?

stembridge

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Right around $900. It’s a tri-coat paint (SPM), which is a bit more expensive.

es