Defective Weatherstripping On Driver's Side Front Door

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
I have come across another (minor issue) with my lacrosse. During a steady rain and when i'm driving i noticed my driver's side door's weatherstripping was leaking water into the interior today. I ran my finger along the edge of the door/body seal and felt some moisture. Once home, i opened the door and inspected the seal and found a trail of water along the top of the seal and down some near the B pillar. The seal isn't broken, cracked, or dry rotted/torn. My door is in perfect alignment. My guess is the seal has collapsed over time and isn't effectively keeping out water and i've noticed more wind noise from this particular door while cruising at 45-60 mph. What could i do next? Replace it?? Tia!

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Replacing would resolve it as the best choice, you could try and wipe it down with silicone and it may plump up a little.

The other method would be using RTV silicone, pull the seal away, put a bead behind it and let it set up. Put the seal back on and it may push the seal to seat against the frame. I did this on a old pickup truck so the finish wasn't a concern only function.

Used seals on Ebay will need to be off a car with less years and or milage then yours otherwise it may be the same problem, new may be pricey(?) and there are some bulk rolls of make your own seal which I have never used.

BIG ROCCO

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav
Just a few ideas that occur to me:

You could try moving to Phoenix where it doesn't rain:D Just kidding, it does rain here a few times a year.

I know you wrote the alignment is perfect, but maybe the door latch just needs to be adjusted for a tighter close? Can you get this door to move further in than the others by pressing or leaning on it when closed?

If the seal has become compressed, I guess replacement is your only option. If you can get behind the seal, you could try temporarily shimming it (paper or cardboard?) to see if that addresses the issue.

You could try putting a layer of grease on the weatherstripping and then closing the door and look to see where it transfers/does not transfer - you might see the offending area right away.

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
I haven't tried pushing the door further towards the striker but it doesn't appear to be sticking out, but really i think my option is to go ahead and replace the seal. It's just odd how it compressed and isn't exactly an "air tight" and "water tight" seal against the elements.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.