• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Deployable hood

RavenRandt

Buick Ownership
18 TourX essence
Hello!
I am new to the forum an am on the hunt for my first Buick.
Searching for the perfect used tourx!
In my research for this car I have found that it uses a pedestrian safety system that raises the hood to cushion an impact.

Is this system resettable?
Some can be reset by opening, then closing the hood.

Thank you!

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
You would have to replace explosive components from the active hinges mechanisms in order to reset.

MHoyt

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tour X Essence
It's resettable as in you can push the pistons back down and reconnect the hinge so you can fully close your hood again, but the module is a one time use only like an airbag and needs to be replaced. You will also have a message on the dashboard saying the hood needs to be reset and the pedestrian collision module needs servicing. I hit a deer last month and didn't know the vehicle had the option until that time. once I was able to close the hood the damage didn't look bad, however way different story after taking it into the collision shop. First off they had never heard of seen it before and after contacting GM they found out GM wants you to replace not just the module (gas ejector thing) but the hood and hinges as well, add that to a $1200 adaptive headlight and that minor deer collision did $6k worth of damage and it didn't even work, deer was still dead lol. Also currently going on almost 4 weeks waiting for the hinge at the collision shop, just opened a case with GM last Friday to find out what's going on with the delay and hopefully get them to cover the rental after my insurance 30 day max is hit, still waiting to hear from them.

Photo Aug 29, 9 33 39 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Aug 29, 9 31 47 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 9 31 47 AM.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 29

MHoyt

Buick Ownership
Are you planning on ramming pedestrians?
LOL no plans as of yet :) .... but it needs to be serviced after it goes off, the resetting instructions in the manual basically says it's a temporary fix so you can see to drive to the service center. I guess it would still drive fine, just always have the messages on the display if never was serviced.

RavenRandt

Buick Ownership
18 TourX essence
Thank you for your responses.
I don’t plan on ramming any pedestrians. I just was thinking it would be yet another expensive part to replace in the event of a collision. Sounds like it is.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
It's resettable as in you can push the pistons back down and reconnect the hinge so you can fully close your hood again, but the module is a one time use only like an airbag and needs to be replaced. You will also have a message on the dashboard saying the hood needs to be reset and the pedestrian collision module needs servicing. I hit a deer last month and didn't know the vehicle had the option until that time. once I was able to close the hood the damage didn't look bad, however way different story after taking it into the collision shop. First off they had never heard of seen it before and after contacting GM they found out GM wants you to replace not just the module (gas ejector thing) but the hood and hinges as well, add that to a $1200 adaptive headlight and that minor deer collision did $6k worth of damage and it didn't even work, deer was still dead lol. Also currently going on almost 4 weeks waiting for the hinge at the collision shop, just opened a case with GM last Friday to find out what's going on with the delay and hopefully get them to cover the rental after my insurance 30 day max is hit, still waiting to hear from them.

View attachment 25950
Ouch!
Poor Bambi!!

bloomer

Stillwater Mn.
Buick Ownership
TourX (Red Needle)
I keep getting service pedestrian protection message. Need an appointment to fix apparently. No frontal contact with anything.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
oh crap, looks like a new strike against buying out this lease. Dangit, I really like this car!

thanks for posting this info, interested to see how it all shakes out

MHoyt

Buick Ownership
Here is a good article I found that explains the Pedestrian Protection feature New Pedestrian Impact Detection System – TechLink. I am going on 30 days now waiting to get my TourX back, the shop just finally got the hood hinge they needed yesterday, so hopefully I will be back in it in a few days. Hoping to get GM to cover my rental now that I am over the 30 day mark for insurance coverage, but there customer service has been terrible (2 weeks of unreturned messages with no updates on my case). According to the article you can disable the feature by removing a fuse, I am thinking about doing that, just not sure if that is the only thing on that fuse. All said what looks like some minor body work from a low speed deer collision will be up near $7k in repairs.

Jee7600

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
I keep getting service pedestrian protection message. Need an appointment to fix apparently. No frontal contact with anything.

Did you ever figure this out? It wasn't on prefer then just randomly came on? What did you do to fix it?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!