Dexron 11E equivalent ATF?

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Going to change ATF in 93 Buick PA and 2000 Century. Drop pan replace filter clean replace no flush! Both use same size filter and gasket. OM says to use Dexron 11E or 2E. Is that still sold? What is the latest equivalent of that? You smart people will know. Like BGFM yes? Thanks!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Use this, closet you will get to Dexron Ii

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
STP's Dex/Merc fluid is Dexron III equivalent as well. Don't go to Dexron VI.
All Dexron is backwards compatible.
Dexron says VI supersedes old use, but just like motor oil that comes with a *

Motor oil wise, ZZP is still very helpful and needed in flat-tappet cams.

To my understanding, the friction modifiers in DEX VI doesnt mesh well with worn trans/old fluids so unless its a fresh build/not old its not a great idea but can be done. Same with Ford type F and MERC etc.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Dexron is Automatic Transmission Fluid. ZDDP is a high pressure additive that was added to Motor Oil for flat tappet camshafts/lifters. While there may be some Zinc in ATF, it is way lower than oil.

I use the Dexron 6 in both my cars. The 1970 GS uses the same Valvoline Dex 6 in the THM400 transmission. I used it in my switch pitch 400, after using an earlier Dexron, and my new fixed pitch 400 has had Dex 6 since it was freshly rebuilt. My 98 Riviera which currently has over 200K miles on the original transmission has used a variety of Dexron formulation. I have changed the ATF every 20K miles since I bought the car in 2004 with 86K. The last 3 changes have been Dex 6. The transmission still shifts flawlessly.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Dexron is Automatic Transmission Fluid. ZDDP is a high pressure additive that was added to Motor Oil for flat tappet camshafts/lifters. While there may be some Zinc in ATF, it is way lower than oil.

I use the Dexron 6 in both my cars. The 1970 GS uses the same Valvoline Dex 6 in the THM400 transmission. I used it in my switch pitch 400, after using an earlier Dexron, and my new fixed pitch 400 has had Dex 6 since it was freshly rebuilt. My 98 Riviera which currently has over 200K miles on the original transmission has used a variety of Dexron formulation. I have changed the ATF every 20K miles since I bought the car in 2004 with 86K. The last 3 changes have been Dex 6. The transmission still shifts flawlessly.
i wasnt using zddp as reference to trans, it was a reference to how engine oils SN+ are retroactive, but in an older engine with flat tappet motors, its best to run an additive to not wear more.even tho the fluid says its retroactive for that application, it protects it far less.

in trans fluid, your TH400 is rebuilt at some point, yes? That would explain why. Unless you mean it was like 80k miles and DEX 1(or 2 in that year, idk), and you took it, fixed leaky seals and have since ran DEX VI on only a pan drop, I would be very surprised but congrats im glad it worked.

DEX VI in a 98 I dont see causing issues in DEX III applications such as your riviera because it was the direct replacement and dex III was used in rather recent vehicles. gm would be dumb as hell to make it that obsolete quickly. I would use dex vi if i didnt have an uknown leaks to fix(cheaper to get dex III/uni). I used a high mileage ATF, which presumably has some synthetics. Although, my shifting being crisp on a 6 year rebuild and my pan magent wasnt too icky, I might go dex vi when i do a fluid cooler.flush it out at the mean time.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership

the OP Has DEX II which had whale oil in it. so its actually understandable how fluids with animal byproducts as bases would need more fluid property consideration than mineral/petroleum once the first one became illegal and unethical to create

reminds me of supercharger oil... why cant they ban animal fat from being used for lubricants? :sick:

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Going to change ATF in 93 Buick PA and 2000 Century. Drop pan replace filter clean replace no flush! Both use same size filter and gasket. OM says to use Dexron 11E or 2E. Is that still sold? What is the latest equivalent of that? You smart people will know. Like BGFM yes? Thanks!
How many miles do these cars have? There are obviously different opinions as to using the Dex VI in an old transmission but I like to err on the side of caution. Do you know when or if the fluid had ever been changed?

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
How many miles do these cars have? There are obviously different opinions as to using the Dex VI in an old transmission but I like to err on the side of caution. Do you know when or if the fluid had ever been changed?
85000 on the 2000 Century. Last changed 42000. PA 176000 last changed probably at around 100000. The fluid in both is still pinkish but somewhat dirty. Not brown.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Please let us know what you decide to go with.
I have like 6 quarts of old unopened Sams club ATF type 2. I used it before. They still sell it in a case of 24 or 12 if you can find. It was hidden in my garage. I think Warren Distrubution makes it? Like Sams oil. Supposedly decent? Thanks!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!