DIC display suddenly went blank

niceguypmp3

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
on our '05 lacrosse that we just purchased for my Mother-in-law recently, i had it running today after changing fluids and got in it to shut it off and noticed the DIC display is now blank. Nothing on it whatsoever. i pushed the DIC buttons and nothing. i turned on and off the headlights and nothing still. could it possibly be a fuse? or did the display go bad out of the blue? It was working perfectly fine 10 mins before that when i started the car and reset the oil life monitor. This isn't gonna work for her if the DIC doesn't work.... Or do these things go bad like this and then have to fix or replace the instrument cluster? By the way, all of the gauges and other lights are working fine, it's just the DIC display. Or do you think unhooking the battery for a bit and then hooking it back up may fix it? any ideas guys? thanks!

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I would definitely try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes.

Smith1000

Buick Ownership
Buick
The screen in my '13 has gone dark now and then, but it always comes back fairly quickly. Does the on/off button work for the radio and does the radio come on, or is eveyrthing just dead? Can it otherwise be driven?

niceguypmp3

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
ok, I unhooked the battery for about 15 mins or so and still no DIC display. it is the only thing not working. the rest of the gauges and lights work. I just can't understand why it just suddenly stopped working while it was running. It didnt go dim first or go haywire, it just went blank! Yes it can still be driven normally, but you just can't see anything displayed on the DIC display readout like odometer, mpg, oil life monitor, settings, etc :( . I just have no idea where to check next.

FD611V

A spot somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
ok, I unhooked the battery for about 15 mins or so and still no DIC display. it is the only thing not working. the rest of the gauges and lights work. I just can't understand why it just suddenly stopped working while it was running. It didnt go dim first or go haywire, it just went blank! Yes it can still be driven normally, but you just can't see anything displayed on the DIC display readout like odometer, mpg, oil life monitor, settings, etc :( . I just have no idea where to check next.
I thought this was a common thing that occurs on all Lacrosse models.
My .06 Lacrosse with the 3.8 L from the day drove it from the showroom, has had basic the same dash light failures Sometimes when I start the car...all lights on the dash are lit, other times when I start the car, some of the lights are out, but, driving a few miles they all appear and light up.
Take the car for a long drive and see if the DIC light come back on. If they do, you probably open up the can of worms like I have on my Lacrosse

I will never take it to a dealer to fit the problem, as I know there will be many others that will occur from their shop people that claim to be so-called "experienced" Mr. Goodwrench.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's the possible solution as it's a capacitor that may need replacement on the instrument board. If you are not able to do the repair there are services that can do but would require the panel removed and shipped.

niceguypmp3

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
wow, thanks for the video's! I'll just drive it and see if it starts working again, but given it's age and 160k on it, it is probably that darn capacitor!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
There's other posts on dash panels where it's a simple part repair, the pain is getting the panels out and back in which for some it may be beyond their skill set.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
It is unfortunate that this didn't work but it was definitely worth a try, software can glitch and does. I hope you can get this fixed...

Red Grant

Buick Newbie
USA
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse CXL Past-1983 Buick Regal
Same here.

We inherited a low mileage '05 Lacrosse CXL some months back. It has a similar problem.

I've noticed for a while that the DIC will suddenly dim and become almost unreadable, along with the radio display simultaneously.

This morning, while driving, I heard a loud click and the DIC and radio went out completely this time. I pulled onto a side street and began playing with the DIC buttons, the radio, headlight and interior light controls. Suddenly, everything started working again. The only thing I noticed before this happened was an irritating electronic buzzing sound in the dash, in the vicinity of the steering wheel.

Last edited:

FD611V

Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
Same here.

We inherited a low mileage '05 Lacrosse CXL some months back. It has a similar problem.

I've noticed for a while that the DIC will suddenly dim and become almost unreadable, along with the radio display simultaneously.

This morning, while driving, I heard a loud click and the DIC and radio went out completely this time. I pulled onto a side street and began playing with the DIC buttons, the radio, headlight and interior light controls. Suddenly, everything started working again. The only thing I noticed before this happened was an irritating electronic buzzing sound in the dash in the vicinity of the steering wheel.
Why there never been a Recall on this problem with the Buick Lacrosse model, is something not in the best interest of General Motors. This, disappearing dash lights is considered a driving hazard. That is if you are on a highway at night.
My '06 Lacrosse had the dash light disappear from day one.
On day, probably in 2008 or 2009 I was driving and that happen. Just happen there was a Buick dealer couple blocks ahead. I pulled into the service door and the lady service manager ask me what I needed done. I shown her that I had no dash lights, other than the tachometer, speedometer, and oil and fuel gauges. Her remarks were, "you and several thousand other Lacrosse owners have the same problem." She ask me to leave the car and they would or hope to have the lights fixed in couple weeks., as they had to remove the complete instrument panel and have a service firm to make the repairs. I decided I could live with the light failure and forgo the weeks and the labor costs. As of today, they still fail at times... no certain time of day or when the lights will fade or completely go out and return in a new minutes or miles of driving. So, I will live with this and when I die, the wife can give the car away to the person that might want to fix the problem.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Hmm you had a car from day one with the dash problem and which would have been covered by warranty but elected to not do anything? Doesn't make sense, most people would have gotten the repairs under warranty at no cost, but then there's people who don't bother to get a recall repair even when it's free.

1000's of owners, NHTSA has 88 electronic issues reported for the 2006 and not that many for the dashboard lights so I'm guessing your source may not have been accurate on her numbers.

Unless it gets reported to NHTSA and a investigation is conducted on the problem nothing will happen! A post on a forum or any other social media is just another problem rant post with no action to actually follow through.

FD611V

Buick Ownership
Hmm you had a car from day one with the dash problem and which would have been covered by warranty but elected to not do anything? Doesn't make sense, most people would have gotten the repairs under warranty at no cost, but then there's people who don't bother to get a recall repair even when it's free.
Okay, all hat, no cattle! Many of us old automobile owners...like my two older brothers and brother-in-law who have taken their cars to the dealer only to find the so-called Mr. Goodwrench shop repairman didn't know how, what, or where to work on one. Ever been to a dealer and ask how many of those shop personnel just started a few days before. Anyone can buy a tool cabinet and $260.00 set of tools and slow up at a dealer to apply for a job....without any experience. Been There Twice.

I bought a new 1978 Mercury Cougar XR7. Had the car about 2 months when one day I drove from Denver, Co to Shreveport, La. about 967 miles and only used 19 gallons of gas. Average 51 miles per gallon. Took the car to the Mercury dealer and they wanted to buy the car back or give me a new one. Why I ask. It seems the fuel solenoids (2) on the engine firewall malfunction and made the car run like it was a V-6. Ford Motor Co kept after me to return the car. I sold it to a lady what work in our office, and she brag that she had a car that would get over 50 miles to a gallon. Now, would I be stupid to get warranty work as you suggested.?

BTW: Never taken one of my 28 cars to a dealer for warranty work.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Your choice to ignore TSB, recalls or free warranty service, the manufacturers love customers like you.

So the dashboard lights are a safety hazard, you want a recall but you won't take it in and you are not going to repair it yourself but you do all your own repairs. Thanks that's much clearer now, have a safe and special day.

niceguypmp3

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I drove the car yesterday and the first bump i hit, the DIC started working again, so i'm assuming its the solder point on that capacitor from the youtube videos. i'll have to remove the cluster and resolder that point!

Red Grant

Buick Newbie
USA
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse CXL Past-1983 Buick Regal
Mine has progressed in the last two days. Now, every time I start the car, the odometer, compass, temp, and radio display are gone. I have to turn the far right headlight switch all the way to the left ( the "on/off" setting that then springs back to "auto") and then it will the display a "headlamps suggested" message. After which I have to press the 'back arrow' button on the DIC row of buttons. Problem solved temporarily. The missing displays (odom, temp, radio) return until it clicks and goes out again or the next time I have to start the car.

niceguypmp3

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I removed the instrument cluster today and resoldered the pins for the capacitor that it showed was the problem on the youtube videos and so far so good! thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Good to hear, if it is successful for awhile feel free to follow-up. Unfortunately it's a unknown on some posts if the solution works long term, short term and not working seems more common to show up LOL.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!