Did they put extra oil cooler in AWD Regals ?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Noticed in my TourX owners manual that capacities for engine oil was one qt. less for non AWD models? May be incorrect like many other things in manual. Of course no non AWD TourX?
Assuming additional cooler and/or plumbing differences.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
GM online parts catalogs don’t show any different part numbers between the the base regal sportback and the TourX.

But there is an upper and lower pan - the online catalog looks incomplete. The lower pan might be bigger for AWD.

I would like a little more oil capacity anyway for the turbo even if I didn’t have all wheel drive. That turbo gets hot and the oil around the turbo bearings cooks the life out of oil quickly.

The last turbo engine I had was a late ‘80s Chrysler 2.2. Head gasket went at 135k and I replaced the head with a new loaded one. I always used M1 in it and the engine and turbo were still super clean. Engine was still good at 200k when I sold the car.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I’m hoping more parts diagrams (and a service manual) become available soon so I can dig deeper into this car.

I wouldn’t worry about oil cooking in the turbo with a good synthetic oil unless you’re running some insanely high EGTs... and even then I bet the ECU adjusts bits when it sees high EGTs.

In the diesel world we’d melt pistons before oil would cook out of the turbos.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
An engine oil cooler is standard on all turbo LTG's and it helps maintain optimum oil temperatures. It has a heat exchanger incorporated into the oil filter housing. Coolant to the heat exchanger is provided by the engine’s coolant circuit. The design optimizes oil cooling with a minimal pressure loss. During cold starts, the system also enables faster heating of the engine oil for an earlier reduction of internal engine friction.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I just got done reading a post on another forum by a Kia Optima turbo lessee who thought he was being scammed into using synthetic oil just so they could make more money off him. But now he was about at the end of his lease and his car was lacking power at 30k miles, what additives could he use!

The other posters were telling him he should have been able to go 7500 miles on conventional oil in that 2.0 Turbo with no ill effects.

People ARE still baking oil inside their turbo charged engines by using conventional oil and using it for too long an interval. I bet that engine is absolute goo inside.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I just got done reading a post on another forum by a Kia Optima turbo lessee who thought he was being scammed into using synthetic oil just so they could make more money off him. But now he was about at the end of his lease and his car was lacking power at 30k miles, what additives could he use!

The other posters were telling him he should have been able to go 7500 miles on conventional oil in that 2.0 Turbo with no ill effects.

People ARE still baking oil inside their turbo charged engines by using conventional oil and using it for too long an interval. I bet that engine is absolute goo inside.
Conventional oil @ 7500 miles? Woof. Did anyone in the Kia thread do UOA to prove their hypothesis with regards to oil change intervals or turbo damage? I'd never run a conventional oil in a modern turbo engine.

gobluetwo

A Regular
IL
Buick Ownership
none
Conventional oil @ 7500 miles? Woof. Did anyone in the Kia thread do UOA to prove their hypothesis with regards to oil change intervals or turbo damage? I'd never run a conventional oil in a modern turbo engine.
UOA? Are you are BITOG guy?? :)

Sure, conventional for 7500 miles works in a non-turbo engine under most normal conditions, but yeah - I'd hate to chance that in any turbo engine!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
There's only a few primary areas OEM's can add additional oil capacity, larger oil pan, larger oil filter or a cooler as part of the radiator. One other option is the data is wrong from the manufacturer, but that never happens LOL.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
UOA? Are you are BITOG guy?? :)

Sure, conventional for 7500 miles works in a non-turbo engine under most normal conditions, but yeah - I'd hate to chance that in any turbo engine!
Nope. I'm a TDI guy that has been doing 10-12k oil changes for 300k miles. Agree that 7500 using conventional in a non-turbo engine is more than acceptable. I hit the jackpot when I got Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w-40 for $4/gallon after sale and rebate... stocked up for years to come.

Anywho... some poking around on a Terrain forum also showed that engines with AWD got a larger oil capacity. They didn't have an explanation, but it also exists in that realm of GM.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Nope. I'm a TDI guy that has been doing 10-12k oil changes for 300k miles. Agree that 7500 using conventional in a non-turbo engine is more than acceptable. I hit the jackpot when I got Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w-40 for $4/gallon after sale and rebate... stocked up for years to come.

Anywho... some poking around on a Terrain forum also showed that engines with AWD got a larger oil capacity. They didn't have an explanation, but it also exists in that realm of GM.
The Cadillac ATS 2.0T with AWD got an extra quart over the RWD version too.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
From a logical standpoint we can concur the AWD system puts more of a load on the motor than a FWD system. So obviously GM made the oil pan larger so the oil cooler can cool the oil more effectively, that way the oil lubricates the motor adequately under the increased load of the AWD system.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
WOT has same load on FWD as AWD. I think GM logic is AWD will be at more of an angle so deeper pan insures oil supply.
Plus added bonus of cooling effects and durability.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Again you are wrong, and quit posting bogus information. Come back here to post when you learn more about cars.

Gary N

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX

Larger capacity oil for towing.... oh wait.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Again you are wrong, and quit posting bogus information. Come back here to post when you learn more about cars.
I forgot more about cars then you will ever know.
Your stupid
AWD does not put any more load on engine. WOT is same either way. they are afraid people like you will get it in oil starvation while thinking its a Hummer.
Like saying they have more friction loses on autos so have to beef engine up for non man. trans cars.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
This is from an article on the internet and it proves that you are wrong:

In general, cars equipped with 2-wheel drive get better gas mileage than models that use all-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive. There's a reason: AWD or 4WD cars have to send power to each of the vehicle's wheels, which requires extra energy.

AWD cars also offer worse gas mileage than 2WD rivals because they're heavier. AWD and 4WD drive systems can add hundreds of pounds to a car's curb weight, and that extra bulk can have a big impact on fuel economy. That's because an engine has to work harder to move a heavier car, which means more fuel is used to move an AWD car the same distance as one with 2WD.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Let me make sure I understand your lack of logic.
I never disputed AWD has more friction losses so of course not as fast or fuel efficient as 2 WD.
With your logic all 4 WD trucks should have more oil capacity and beefed up engine for increased load.
The only reason they put deeper pan in AWD, is pan not deep enough with most passenger cars.
13874Here is picture of capacities on my Sierra , note no difference between 2WD 4WD or AWD.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
You're comparing apples to oranges now, if you look closely you will see the article I posted is referring to a car not a truck. The truck has a 6 liter motor that is 3 times larger than the 2 liter motor in the Regal. The large V8 in the truck can easily power all 4 wheels and over come the added weight of the 4 wheel drive system, but it puts a strain on the small 4 cylinder motor in the Regal.

So take your lack of logic and try to convince someone else that you are right and I am wrong, I'm done here.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.