Did you buy a leftover?

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I’m thinking about negotiating on a leftover 2018 GS that the dealer has had on the lot for almost 300 days.
Any suggestions as to how low to begin?

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I usually work with rebates, incentives, etc to get my price down. Raw negotiation will require a desperate dealer.

I would tell them up front you know how long the car has sat. If you have a decent car now that might help you, since it's not like you're eager to move. Casual interest on your part puts the burden of the sale on them. But if you're trading in, then that likely hurts you either on the tradein value or what they'll want to move off the sticker knowing they may have a financial boat anchor sent to auction in a few months. The aftermarket on previously loved Buicks isn't very strong, hence the depreciation.

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
There are quite a few 2018 GS's still out there. I see at least one that is a demo and another that is part of the dealerships Courtesy Transportation Program, too. Those two would probably go for a little less because it'd have up to a few thousand miles on them but they're still sold as new. There are 10 within 500 miles of me, outside of those two mentioned.

GM is still giving incentives on model year 2018 vehicles and they usually put a little more on the prior model year, but since we're just getting into fiscal 2019 you aren't going to get much additional off of the price just because it's last years car. You probably won't see that until the model year 2020 vehicles roll out later this summer or fall, but by then more of the GS's will have sold, too.

**I work for GM. I can look up where the vehicles are for sale, but the above about discounts you may or may not receive are purely my own opinion.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I just purchased a leftover TourX in the end of January, and was able to negotiate over $14k off msrp

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Ditto here, but no dealer in the Northeast would give less than $10K off.
I’m from NY. 😂
The car I purchased did have the highest msrp of any I looked at, every single package and option, that probably also helped the cause quite a bit.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
This car is loaded at 44500.00. Asking price is 37+
Same sticker as mine. I believe the incentives were quite a bit more aggressive in January vs February. Makes no sense why, like many things the General does.

If you’re anywhere near NY I am happy to put you in touch with my salesman. Good luck!

Cmoneymillz

Buick Ownership
TourX
Same sticker as mine. I believe the incentives were quite a bit more aggressive in January vs February. Makes no sense why, like many things the General does.

If you’re anywhere near NY I am happy to put you in touch with my salesman. Good luck!
Any essence in stock?
Looking at $40,600 sticker in CT.
Want $30k OTD but $14k off seems a bit better!
Have gotten cars from NY before - please lmk!

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Any essence in stock?
Looking at $40,600 sticker in CT.
Want $30k OTD but $14k off seems a bit better!
Have gotten cars from NY before - please lmk!
We live on Long Island, but went two hours upstate to buy the car because no one would touch the deal. We purchased from Billy at Hudson Buick:
Hudson Buick GMC in Poughkeepsie, NY | Serving Newburgh, Carmel, NY & Kingston, NY Buick and GMC Drivers

They were incredibly upfront, honest and played no games with us. I kept waiting for the fast one. You can certainly let him know that Nicole and Derek are your friends/ referred you.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm from north of Albany NY, but went to a dealer in Bristol CT (2+ hours away) to get my Darkmoon blue Tourx. Great price advertised online, I did the deal over the phone, picked it up and drove home. Found them thru cars.com filtering on the color & options I wanted.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
GM wants the cars sold. Dealers pretend that the incentive money is coming from them, and raise prices. This is economically inefficent -- a fair price for the dealer to sell out doesn't depend on where the money is coming from. If they're willing to sell the car for $35K, it doesn't matter if I am putting that up, or if I'm putting $30K up and GM is putting up $5, or if the tooth fairy is paying for all of it. What they like to do is say they'll sell it for 37, and make GM give them higher profits.

Taking the incentives away makes it harder to sell the cars, and the threat of doing so (and actually doing it, when it's threatened), gives the dealer an incentive to sell the car now, not next month. Making the dealers take a bath from time to time is good for them. It encourages them to sell cars and make money doing it, not make money by taking it from GM.

It's not entirely the dealer's fault the cars aren't selling, but most of the dealers I talked with (dozens!) didn't want to sell the car. They were willing to go $500 or $1000 over the fake invoice price. (that's before incentives, of course. Incentives is the buyer's money, not the seller's.) On car that had been sitting for 8 months. That's dealers sucking at selling. (my local dealer raised the price of their cars between when I test drove and when I came back to talk money. Then their jag off sales manager told me he'd be doing a favor selling it for $500 more than what the website said... I bought the same car somewhere else, for several thousand dollars less. They still have seven 2018 tourx on the lot...)

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
GM wants the cars sold. Dealers pretend that the incentive money is coming from them, and raise prices. This is economically inefficent -- a fair price for the dealer to sell out doesn't depend on where the money is coming from. If they're willing to sell the car for $35K, it doesn't matter if I am putting that up, or if I'm putting $30K up and GM is putting up $5, or if the tooth fairy is paying for all of it. What they like to do is say they'll sell it for 37, and make GM give them higher profits.

Taking the incentives away makes it harder to sell the cars, and the threat of doing so (and actually doing it, when it's threatened), gives the dealer an incentive to sell the car now, not next month. Making the dealers take a bath from time to time is good for them. It encourages them to sell cars and make money doing it, not make money by taking it from GM.

It's not entirely the dealer's fault the cars aren't selling, but most of the dealers I talked with (dozens!) didn't want to sell the car. They were willing to go $500 or $1000 over the fake invoice price. (that's before incentives, of course. Incentives is the buyer's money, not the seller's.) On car that had been sitting for 8 months. That's dealers sucking at selling. (my local dealer raised the price of their cars between when I test drove and when I came back to talk money. Then their jag off sales manager told me he'd be doing a favor selling it for $500 more than what the website said... I bought the same car somewhere else, for several thousand dollars less. They still have seven 2018 tourx on the lot...)
I suppose we are conditioned to expect such from a car dealer, however several posts on this thread indicate there are straight shooters selling these cars, and I can say my experience was one of those good ones.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
I suppose we are conditioned to expect such from a car dealer, however several posts on this thread indicate there are straight shooters selling these cars, and I can say my experience was one of those good ones.
I am reasonably happy with the deal I eventually got at the end of January. I did get a lot of calls and texts last week from dealers who were suddenly willing to deal.

Cmoneymillz

Buick Ownership
TourX
I'm from north of Albany NY, but went to a dealer in Bristol CT (2+ hours away) to get my Darkmoon blue Tourx. Great price advertised online, I did the deal over the phone, picked it up and drove home. Found them thru cars.com filtering on the color & options I wanted.
Drove an hour here, dealt w Mike Collins.
Advertised price $27,888 - show up, they said incentives dont apply, Would sell for $31k + TTT. Walked away. Wonder if it was the same dealer?

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Drove an hour here, dealt w Mike Collins.
Advertised price $27,888 - show up, they said incentives dont apply, Would sell for $31k + TTT. Walked away. Wonder if it was the same dealer?
Yup. Same dealer same guy. He walked me thru the various discounts to see what applied - I don't have Costco, didn't have competitive lease, but the end price was still better than anywhere else within 2 hours, even for my second-choice color. Last new car I bought was in 1998 so I wasn't prepared for several hours dealing with paperwork with their finance guy, but still, not upset with the outcome. I didn't drive there until the deal was sealed with a deposit.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
^^ This. (@mooooo )

TLDR: see last paragraph. Yeah, I bought an '18 about 10 days ago.

I don't try to rake dealers over the coals like I used to do. I don't overpay, either. I gave my dealer a mildly aggressive offer on my heavily optioned TourX (below the GM incentive pricing that I qualified for) and they whined and moaned that I "beat them up on price" even after agreeing to said price. I let them make it up on what I took for my trade vs. what it was actually worth (even wholesale), also more than fairly.

Lest we forget, one of the sales guys there pointed a GMC truck out to me that retails for $70k+. I daresay they're able to make some decent money not on every sale, but certainly on more than a few.

The car buying strategy that works best for me is typically to ask a couple of [preferably local] dealers for their lowest price on xyz vehicle. In my counter, which is IT for me — all I'll offer — and I make that clear...hey, this is a fair price, and if you agree to it, I will buy it right now, but know that I'm also talking to other dealers, too, right now...I point out that I can get the exact same optioned car from xyz dealer up the road (and that may involve a road trip) for x amount.

And I point out that the price I'm offering is fair, it's the going rate + a few more bills, etc. I tacked on $400 to that "lowest price" on my TourX to admittedly, save me the hassle of having to take a cheap flight and drive it home. My dealer respected that I was respecting them...although there was that "beating us up" (said with a smile) comment from a higher up. Car dealers gonna be car dealers.

Bottom line: You have to be willing to walk away from the deal, but to also be fair to all, including yourself. I'd rather have everyone pretty happy then feel like one of us got the sh*t end of the stick.

Last edited:

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Same here. My dealer even delivered the car to me and drove away my trade. Have not had that level of service before despite buying several high end brands over the years.