disable auto door locks

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
Lacrosse 2013, how do I disable all automatic door locking in my car.

I have a simple question to ask of you. But first, I need to make sure that our terminologies are clear. In automobiles, the door "locks" do not in fact lock the door; they simply disengage the interior and exterior door handles from the latching mechanism. The doors, when closed, are always latched to hold them shut.

My question then is, "Why would you NOT want the doors 'locked'?" An accidental pull on the unlocked interior door handle could spill your child onto the street while the vehicle is in motion. An unlocked exterior door handle could allow a thief to open the door at an intersection stopping point and snatch a purse, a child, or even take the car by force.

Are you pessimistically assuming that you will inevitably be involved in a severe accident where you would be disabled and unable to unlock the doors by yourself? And, then, do you optimistically assume that a bystander will be available and willing to open the door to get you out?

I believe that most if not all cars today automatically unlock the doors in an accident severe enough to trigger the deployment of the air bags.

So again, I ask, "Why would you NOT want the doors 'locked' when the vehicle begins to move?" I am not trying to challenge your choice but rather simply trying to understand your concern. Thank you.

h2os

N Syracuse NY
Buick Ownership
Buick
In my Camry, I simply deselected the option to have the automatic door lock feature to be disabled. I am not worried about robberies, thugs. When I want to lock a door, I simlply do it. Dealer says check the manual which of course has no info.

h2os

N Syracuse NY
Buick Ownership
Buick
Cannot find anywhere where locks are disabled automatically, etc. Maybe not correct term though. Dealer no help either.

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'18 BMW M550
On my '11 it auto locks when moving forward & unlocks when put in park (like yours I think). I sometimes like to open the door while stopping to get my mail (and I'm impatient) & don't want to wait to put it in park, etc. A quick work-around is to pull the inside door handle twice, it will unlock & open your door immediately before coming to a full stop/put in park, blah blah....

h2os

N Syracuse NY
Buick Ownership
Buick
good idea, maybe if I stand on my head first, I will only have to hit switch 1x, good try though...

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'18 BMW M550
good idea, maybe if I stand on my head first, I will only have to hit switch 1x, good try though...

Not the lock switch, the actual door handle to open the door. It says something (somewhere) in the owner's manual too about opening/unlocking the door that way.

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
So again, I ask, "Why would you NOT want the doors 'locked' when the vehicle begins to move?" I am not trying to challenge your choice but rather simply trying to understand your concern. Thank you.

Personally, I find the clunk of the doors locking and unlocking to be unpleasant and detracts from the driving experience. I am not pessimisticly assuming some brat hasn't been disciplined properly or that some thug will try to open my door when driving.

Also, it is a matter of control. I prefer to decide for myself when the doors are locked and unlocked, I drive a manual tranmission because I prefer to select my own gear to drive, I turn my headlights on and off, I never use the auto climate function preferring to set and change settings manually...

G-992756

I have a simple question to ask of you. But first, I need to make sure that our terminologies are clear. In automobiles, the door "locks" do not in fact lock the door; they simply disengage the interior and exterior door handles from the latching mechanism. The doors, when closed, are always latched to hold them shut.

My question then is, "Why would you NOT want the doors 'locked'?" An accidental pull on the unlocked interior door handle could spill your child onto the street while the vehicle is in motion. An unlocked exterior door handle could allow a thief to open the door at an intersection stopping point and snatch a purse, a child, or even take the car by force.

Are you pessimistically assuming that you will inevitably be involved in a severe accident where you would be disabled and unable to unlock the doors by yourself? And, then, do you optimistically assume that a bystander will be available and willing to open the door to get you out?

I believe that most if not all cars today automatically unlock the doors in an accident severe enough to trigger the deployment of the air bags.

I didn’t ask the question but also want the doors to only lock when I lock them. Evidently in your attempt to understand you failed to realize the pompousness of your statements. I personally have had many times when I’ve parked and turned the car off, then went to get something out of the back seat only to find the door still locked. Huge pain in the rear when it’s the back passenger side. As an EMS Pilot I've seen more than one accident with the battery destroyed in the accident and the doors still locked. So yes there are people who don’t want the doors to automatically lock!

G-352142

Haha.....there have been instances when these auto locks have failed leaving driver and passenger unable to get out....I too want to lock my doors myself...

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
I must admit, I have trouble accepting your assertion. There is the electrical unlock switch. If the fuse is open, there is also the physical knob which can be pulled up to unlock. And if all else fails, simply lower the window and climb out.

bison412

Buick Ownership
2014 LaCrosse

No, ASSHEAD! We don't want the babies rolling out the door. We don't want the doors to lock when the car is in the GARAGE and we need to go get something out of it without running back into the house to get to the keys, which are in our pants pocket in the furthest room in the house.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!