• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Disable Automatic Stop/Start

hunterwh

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
Hi all! Just bought my Tourx and love it! The only thing is I want to disable the automatic stop/start. I saw this is available aftermarket. Would this void any warranty though?

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Short answer, no.

(Assumption is that you're talking about the 'SmartStopStart' module.)

There may be some (although none have been spotted on this forum) who will argue that since this module attaches to wires that run to the body control module, and that the body control module is attached to the GM-LAN bus, which also connects to the engine control module, the transmission control module and sundry other modules; therefore its installation will void the warranty for everything on the car with the exception of the front license plate bracket--and then only for those states that don't require it.

Further info can be found by searching this forum.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Hi all! Just bought my Tourx and love it! The only thing is I want to disable the automatic stop/start. I saw this is available aftermarket. Would this void any warranty though?
You will have no GM coverage on the module, that disables your ASS !
Just pretend you lived over 100 years ago, and instead of turning crank to start car.... just open hood.
PS The module is worth it, puts you in control.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The warranty can not be voided. They can deny coverage of a repair if they can prove an aftermarket part caused a part to fail.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Buick dealers are making money installing the same module, it is easy to remove without a trace if needed.
Now if you disabled ASS thru a tune, that is different ....on possiible problems with GM.

hunterwh

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
Buick dealers are making money installing the same module, it is easy to remove without a trace if needed.
Now if you disabled ASS thru a tune, that is different ....on possiible problems with GM.
Who would I ask to do this? A mechanic at a Buick dealer?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Who would I ask to do this? A mechanic at a Buick dealer?
I put in myself, but service manager at delivery dealer said they had installed them. No doubt for 5 min of time, they get minimum of hour labor.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
$140 so I don't need to pump the brake pedal when I stop ?

SS-Stealth

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal Tourx Preferred
I was told that all you need to do to disable it is to pop the shifter into manual mode. Does that not work on some trim levels?

hunterwh

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
I was told that all you need to do to disable it is to pop the shifter into manual mode. Does that not work on some trim levels?
it does work on all trim levels. For me I just want it off permanently with everything else on the car working normally. It’s a silly feature that has no value.

rjw

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
Actually, rangetechnology offers a device that plugs into the OBD port underneath the steering wheel. It's $190, which is a little more than the start/stop device, but it is much simpler to install - just plug it into the port. I have had mine for about a month now and I love it. And it does NOT affect remote start like the start/stop device does. Better yet, you can just unplug it before you go to the dealer to avoid any possible warranty issues.

hunterwh

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
Actually, rangetechnology offers a device that plugs into the OBD port underneath the steering wheel. It's $190, which is a little more than the start/stop device, but it is much simpler to install - just plug it into the port. I have had mine for about a month now and I love it. And it does NOT affect remote start like the start/stop device does. Better yet, you can just unplug it before you go to the dealer to avoid any possible warranty issues.
awesome! I am going to check this out. My major concern was with the warranty

Pedal Commander