• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Disable the Engine stop at Stop-light

G-49472

Understanding in 2019 Buick added a dashboard feature for disabling the "Engine Off", wanting to up-grade my 2018 with this option.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence

sevarg

Buick Ownership
TourX
Wait, so the 2019 TourX has a button to disable the start/stop?

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Every single market except the North American market has the Stop/Start disable button from the factory. All Insignias, Commodores, and China Regals have this. For whatever reason, the option was not afforded to us.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 1985 Skyhawk T-Type, 1982 Regal Coupe, 1970 Skylark sedan
Every single market except the North American market has the Stop/Start disable button from the factory. All Insignias, Commodores, and China Regals have this. For whatever reason, the option was not afforded to us.
I think the "reasons" for this are known

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Another option that is free I to put the car into manual mode and use the shifter +/- to disables your ASS, but with 8 gears, I find it somewhat cumbersome to be in the right gear. And I come from always buying manual transmission cars with a real clutch.plus, you end up looking at your DIC a lot to figure out which gear you are in.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
This conversation goes the same way every time.

Can I disable it? Yes, here are the handfull of ways......

Why would you want to do that? Just put in Manual mode when you come to a stop....

No, I don't want to put it in manual mode.

But why not? It's free.

So is Herpes sometimes, I don't want that either....

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
Sigh… another ASS complaint. I’m so glad I disabled mine. No shifting back and forth between manual and automatic, no shutting off as I’m inching forward while parking, no steering wheel jerking. Y’all keep on enjoying it!

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
Sigh… another ASS complaint. I’m so glad I disabled mine. No shifting back and forth between manual and automatic, no shutting off as I’m inching forward while parking, no steering wheel jerking. Y’all keep on enjoying it!
Steering wheel jerk comes from a bad battery. I already posted about it in another thread. When dealer replaced OEM battery with ACDelco AGM the jerk went away. But I agree, start-stop is annoying and it feels more rough on our Regals vs newer Buicks.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
Steering wheel jerk comes from a bad battery. I already posted about it in another thread. When dealer replaced OEM battery with ACDelco AGM the jerk went away. But I agree, start-stop is annoying and it feels more rough on our Regals vs newer Buicks.
And the heavy duty battery is needed why?

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
The stop\start system requires it
I was just trying to make a point that Auto Start/Stop indirectly causes the steering wheel jerk. The reason the battery goes bad so quickly is due to the strain from constantly starting the engine. I’m actually interested to see how long my OEM battery lasts now that I’ve disabled ASS. These cars seem to do a number of strange things once the battery starts declining.

Aside from the annoyance factor, I couldn’t see any benefit from keeping ASS once my sound system is installed. I was concerned about the possibility of damaging my amps.

DrFaustus

Denver
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I replaced the heavy duty AGM battery in my VW last spring. When I fished out the receipt for the pro-rated warranty I found I was years beyond the date. I know I'll always run the best battery I can. But that's because of cold starts. I tend to take ski trips. I've had to start my car after it has sit in -10 F for several days. You want all the battery you can get in those situations.