• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Disable the Engine stop at Stop-light

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Steering wheel jerk comes from a bad battery. I already posted about it in another thread. When dealer replaced OEM battery with ACDelco AGM the jerk went away. But I agree, start-stop is annoying and it feels more rough on our Regals vs newer Buicks.
I can second that about the steering wheel jerk from experience of driving a lot of different cars.
Anyone can try that on a vehicle equipped with EPS and a dead battery. Jump start it and then turn the wheel quickly, you will feel the jerk.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
I had RT module, prior going to Trifecta.
ASS is annoying 😒, but with Trifecta you can still turn it back on.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
And the heavy duty battery is needed why?
Our OEM battery seems to be somewhat low quality. When mine got replaced ASS feels much better with smoother starts and no weird malfunctions, such as steering jerk or headlight self-leveling readjustment with every traffic stop. I would've even replaced OEM battery on my own if I lived somewhere up north.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Sigh… another ASS complaint. I’m so glad I disabled mine. No shifting back and forth between manual and automatic, no shutting off as I’m inching forward while parking, no steering wheel jerking. Y’all keep on enjoying it!
I like getting jerked once in awhile…. Though inching forward while parking is one of my complaints. I wish there were a button I could push to force ASS as there are times when the line at a stop light moves and once the engine starts, it won’t shut off again. Then I’m sure others would like another button or switch to just disable ASS.

RSE

Buick Ownership
2019 Sortback Essence
If you start the car with the hood open, ASS will be disabled until the car is turned off. At a stop, flip the shifter to any position other than drive for more than 2 seconds, and ASS will be disabled for that stop. Most annoying is when you pull into a parking spot, an it shuts off faster than you can get it into park.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Red needle TourX
In a longer stop even if you move the shifter to the left and then back into D, after a while the car engine will shut off.

I do wonder how much of a win it was for the bean counters...

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
ASS is absurd. Doesn’t save fuel and makes stopping an event. My module that was installed a week or two after buying the car has completely solved the problem.
My next car must come with a disable button.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
ASS is absurd. Doesn’t save fuel and makes stopping an event. My module that was installed a week or two after buying the car has completely solved the problem.
My next car must come with a disable button.
It does save fuel if you sit at a lot of stoplights. Might be a relatively small amount but it for sure saves fuel.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
I have always been told that the most wear and tear on an engine occurs when it’s being started. I know that applies mostly to a cold engine where oil has been sitting in the pan instead of being circulated by the pump, but the wear and tear on other parts, like the battery, alternator, pulleys, etc. is the same regardless of engine temperature.

I know GM used a special battery and alternator to support ASS and it seems like the batteries are requiring replacement after about 3 years, not to mention they’re pretty expensive. I’m just wondering if the savings in fuel use offset the cost and replacement timeline for the battery and other parts?

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I have always been told that the most wear and tear on an engine occurs when it’s being started. I know that applies mostly to a cold engine where oil has been sitting in the pan instead of being circulated by the pump, but the wear and tear on other parts, like the battery, alternator, pulleys, etc. is the same regardless of engine temperature.

I know GM used a special battery and alternator to support ASS and it seems like the batteries are requiring replacement after about 3 years, not to mention they’re pretty expensive. I’m just wondering if the savings in fuel use offset the cost and replacement timeline for the battery and other parts?
It is not the fuel savings to us.
It is the CAFE rating for them! That is why we don't even get a kill switch, let alone a latching one.
And then WE as consumers are paying for the battery after warranty. Another win for them as the manufacturer.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I hated start stop...module to disable was easy to installl so was a nobrainer. Been driving TourX for last couple weeks on a movement permit, the plan was to switch to G8 as my DD but got a month movement permit for Sierra for a buck online, so delayed plate cost of $140 for GXP tilll next year.... not crazy about going over 2000 miles on it. Been using buddys dealer plate, but kinda paranoid about someone stealing it. I am on a fixed income so spending almost $500 to get TourX a plate for a year is still too high.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
It is not the fuel savings to us.
It is the CAFE rating for them! That is why we don't even get a kill switch, let alone a latching one.
And then WE as consumers are paying for the battery after warranty. Another win for them as the manufacturer.
I disabled my ASS and I’m still running on the original battery. I have a 2018 red needle that hit the lot on 12/18/2017, so its got almost 4 years on the original battery. I also know my car was used as a company vehicle for long trips, so ASS didn’t engage much. I’m kinda curious to see if I can get 5 years on the original battery, which is what you could expect from a standard battery.

I don’t blame the manufacturers as much as I do the govt. They put these ridiculous fuel efficiency mandates in place for 2025.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
I disabled my ASS and I’m still running on the original battery. I have a 2018 red needle that hit the lot on 12/18/2017, so its got almost 4 years on the original battery. I also know my car was used as a company vehicle for long trips, so ASS didn’t engage much. I’m kinda curious to see if I can get 5 years on the original battery, which is what you could expect from a standard battery.

I don’t blame the manufacturers as much as I do the govt. They put these ridiculous fuel efficiency mandates in place for 2025.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't mind the ASS (sounds like an LL Ninja thread title). It's my 3rd car with it though, so I'm used to it and do like the fuel savings. I do agree it would be nice to have an off switch though. Especially for parking.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence

I got my battery tester ordered and will check to see how bad is it now, since she is still a garage queen due to this enslave, I mean work from home thingy.
I do connect the trickle charger regularly to make sure the state of charge does not go too low.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
Most annoying is when you pull into a parking spot, an it shuts off faster than you can get it into park.
Absolutely drove me bonkers. Or I'd swing out to back in, and the car shuts off for that 0.2 seconds before I shifted to reverse. Stupid system in all but traffic with extended stops.

Also, after getting the Buick, I now notice how many other cars do this stuff too. Walking into the grocery store, someone pulls in a parking spot, car shuts off, then restarts as they goto park, then they shut it off.

Trifefta for the win....

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Absolutely drove me bonkers. Or I'd swing out to back in, and the car shuts off for that 0.2 seconds before I shifted to reverse. Stupid system in all but traffic with extended stops.

Also, after getting the Buick, I now notice how many other cars do this stuff too. Walking into the grocery store, someone pulls in a parking spot, car shuts off, then restarts as they goto park, then they shut it off.

Trifefta for the win....
That is the only time I like the stupid push button/pull trigger shifters, where I can turn off the vehicle while still in D and the vehicle will shift to P on its own.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
I got my battery tester ordered and will check to see how bad is it now, since she is still a garage queen due to this enslave, I mean work from home thingy.
I do connect the trickle charger regularly to make sure the state of charge does not go too low.
After installing my sound system the voltage reads between 13.6 and 13.9 with the volume wide open. I’ve allowed for 120 Amps and my max draw is probably 75% of that.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
As I head into winter in MN curious to find out at what temperature the ASS stops. On my 2016 Cruze it won't work under 40F but I can already tell it's at least under 30F for the Regal. High temp tomorrow is 12F so we shall see....

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
As I head into winter in MN curious to find out at what temperature the ASS stops. On my 2016 Cruze it won't work under 40F but I can already tell it's at least under 30F for the Regal. High temp tomorrow is 12F so we shall see....
Winter in Florida is rarely below 40F. Since putting in the Range Tech module about 2 years ago my curiosity was was cured. the Auto Start Stop never engages.