Disappointed with Buick Encore Purchase

neilmman

Buick Newbie
Buick
Vehicle road tested wonderful during the dealer visit, but has been a huge disappointment after taking it home. We already exchanged the vehicle (so we're on our second one) and really appreciate the dealership's cooperation with doing their best to make the situation right for us. Both vehicles have the same problem, in fact the 2nd one is worse and I wish I had kept the 1st one.

While entering and exiting our driveway (with the steering turned left or right) which has a normal dip (water canal) between the road and driveway, there are thumping noises coming from the suspension. Of course as is typical...the problem could not be duplicated at the dealership.

I have driven many many cars on my driveway and never heard this type of noise from any other car. I owned 4 GM cars over a 20 year period through 2009, and finally gave up due to the consistent need to pour money into repairs after about 4 - 5 years of ownership.

I thought things may have improved and gave it another shot, but I guess I was dead wrong. I feel terribly let down and like I made a huge mistake. The classic definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I must be insane for falling for the same mistake over and over.

Pros:
Luxury ride (except for the cheap thumping noted above) and features, great technology, peppy engine (I drive a 382 hp MB E550), memory seat, rain sensing wipers, beautiful design which my 18 yr old daughter loves (car is for her), great fuel economy, nice Bose sound system.

Cons:
Cheap thumping noises which feel like the wheels could fly off in an emergency maneuver, engine a bit loud while accelerating with a constant low level droning noise from the transmission (which was not on the 1st vehicle) which increases in volume with acceleration. It is assembled in Korea with 51% Korean parts, and I wonder if that contributes to the quality problems I am experiencing. I did not know it was made in Korea...and may not have purchased it if I did. The dealership did not seem to know either...as during the negotiations I was told the vehicles were coming from Europe. I did not realize until after the purchase that the window sticker shows where the car is made.

I am posting this as I want others to be aware of my experience before making a decision to purchase this vehicle (which is not cheap).

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
FWD or AWD? Did you pre-order it or find one on the lot that you liked?

We're considering one for my wife who would like a black/black AWD Premium. Cars.com says there's only one with that trim in the whole country at this point. She'll probably have to wait until next year, I prefer more competition than that :)

Good luck with the car, I hope you'll consider coming back and updating us from time to time. Appreciate your insight- and yeah, the made in Korea thing is a stinker.

Last edited:

neilmman

Buick Newbie
Buick
FWD, chosen from the dealer lot. There wasn't much to choose from, but my daughter liked the white diamond color with chrome wheels.

I am working with GM and the dealer for them to inspect the vehicle next week.

A heck of a lot of time has been spent on this process, which has totally sucked the pleasure out of the car buying experience. Of the 10 cars I have purchased (including other GM vehicles) this one is definitely the worst.

During a 9 day period from the time we first road tested the vehicle to the time we returned the original one and got a replacement we made a total of 7 visits to the dealer.

I do appreciate the steps GM and the dealer are taking to assist. We'll see where it all ends up.

DonP

VA
2017 Buick LaCrosse.
Early production before the model has been fully shaken out. Sounds kind of like buying the 1.0.0 release of software (before the first service pack is released). Ran into that with a 1980 Skylark - lovely car but problem prone in the first few years.

I plan to look at an Encore one in the next week or two, if I can find one, but suspect it is a bit too early to buy with confidence.

Almost all cars start to need maintenance and some repair after 5 years 75K miles. The issue these days is the cost of labor (shop rates) to have the repairs done.

(Some people extoll the "reliability" of their big ticket foreign prestige name plates. But they are cars that get babied at the dealerships at least twice a year for $2000 a visit. In reality no better than the non-babied (abused) common garden variety daily driver when the lifecycle costs are added up)

neilmman

Buick Newbie
Buick
My experience with the imports I kept long term has been fantastic.

Nissan Maxima went 9 years with $0 repairs and nominal maintenance costs. Only had to replace it with a minivan as our family grew.

Lexus RX 330 which my wife drives is now 7 years old, also with $0 repair costs so far, and averaging $500 to $600 per year in maintenance costs. I don't fall for the $500 dealer service recommendations, I have them follow the owner's manual recommendations exactly. Funny thing is the Lexus didn't cost me a whole lot more than the Encore. I got a deep discount for the Lexus which was an outgoing model year, and paid top dollar for the Encore as it is a brand new model.

MB E550 is still kinda new, but prepaid maintenance for 5 yrs worked out to $2000, which averages $400 per year as they only require 1 visit per 12 months or 10k miles. Even if I hadn't bought the prepaid service which essentially provides a 20% - 25% discount, annual maintenance for first 5 years would be approx $500. Of course it's too early to tell how the long term MB experience will turn out.

On the other hand, the 3 GMs I kept over 5 years consistently cost me $1000 - $1500 per year in repairs on top of maintenance expenses. I got rid of them after 6 - 7 years as it did not make sense to keep pouring money into them. One needed $2k - $3k in repairs and I just gave up. That was almost what the entire car was worth.

neilmman

Buick Newbie
Buick
Today is the 4th day the vehicle has been with the dealer. Looks like it will be another 3 to 4 days before we (maybe) find out what is going on. They suspect the popping noise may be coming from the engine cradle.

adrunk

Silicon Valley
1-16-1992
Leased a glacier blue 2WD base yesterday and noticed the test drive demo, probably a 4WD model made a front suspension thud sound during a slow speed u turn.

We leased the never driven model from the showroom floor and have not experienced it yet.

I was surprised to see that the fuel filler door does not lock when the vehicle is locked ... the dealer says this is normal, although the manual says it should lock.

It's the wife's car and it was love at first sight for her and the lease deal was simply the best I've ever seen.

more later ...

Detroit, USA
adrunk,

Congratulations on your purchase! I am glad to hear your are enjoying your vehicle. For anyone experiencing a concern, feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

kheatherly

Buick Encore, Convenience Package
Purchased my Encore 2wd Convenience Package model yesterday. So far I absolutely love it! Traded my 2011 GMC Terrain in for it. I loved the Terrain as well, but I had that in the base model with few "perks". My new Encore has everything I want.

Sorry to hear about the issues. We have been a GM family since 2006 and have had no problems at all. The 2006 Pontiac G6 has 120K miles on it and is just now needing a few repairs, and those were covered with recalls. Hope your issues can be resolved and you are ultimately happy!

neilmman

Buick Newbie
Buick
Sorry for the delay in providing an update. Luckily we were able to return the vehicle and get our money back. GM and the dealer were very accommodating and cooperative throughout the process. I would say it was the best service I have experienced from all dealers of various brands I have done business with over many years. They actually put MB, Acura, Lexus to shame.

Too bad...my kids really loved the Encore. Maybe down the road when the bugs have been worked out and the cars are made in the US we'll give it another try.

dickencorenut

Buick
Sorry for the delay in providing an update. Luckily we were able to return the vehicle and get our money back. GM and the dealer were very accommodating and cooperative throughout the process. I would say it was the best service I have experienced from all dealers of various brands I have done business with over many years. They actually put MB, Acura, Lexus to shame.

Too bad...my kids really loved the Encore. Maybe down the road when the bugs have been worked out and the cars are made in the US we'll give it another try.
I'm sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience. I've had my Encore for 3 weeks now and so far it's as perfect as an automobile can be. You can bad mouth Korean assembly (I have in the past), but the fit and finish and overall quality of this vehicle is the best I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of cars (Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, etc.). I went over the interior and exterior with great care (but no magnifying glass) and I couldn't find one flaw. My son, who notices the slightest flaw, also hasn't found even one tiny flaw. I really like this vehicle so far. Perhaps I'm just lucky to get a good one. We'll see how I feel about it after a year and 12,000 plus miles.
But, for now, I would recommend the Encore to anyone. It's quality exceeds any US, Canadian, Mexican or Japanese built vehicle I've ever owned.

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
Same old stories. Domestic cars are bad, Japanese cars are perfect. It's a popular misconception. Go to different forums. You will find horror stories on Lexus and Mercedes. If you want a real fun read, just google M5 oil pump.

I have owned vehicles built in the US, Japan, Germany, Canada, and Mexico. I have had repairs (warranty and otherwise) on all of them.

Sorry you didn't like your Encore.

Detroit, USA
Thank you for sharing your love for your Encore, dickencorenut! We greatly appreciate the time you took to let everyone know how much you’re enjoying the vehicle. Please, don’t hesitate to contact us in the future with comments, questions and/or concerns. We’ll be happy to help where we can.

Michelle, Buick Customer Service assisting Tricia

rrail

ottawa
Buick allure
I'm looking at the 2 of them , Encore and Trax, I'm just wondering why such a tiny engine, that is the only thing holding me back from getting rid of my Allure, maybe in a few yrs they will bump that up to a 2.4

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
I think they are phasing out the 2.4. They seem to be (supposedly) replacing it with the 1.6L turbo.

kheatherly

Buick Encore, Convenience Package
I would recommend the Encore. Have had mine for about 2 weeks and am very pleased with it! The engine is small, but I find it peppy around town! Great gas mileage as well.

Milehighassassin

Buick
I'm looking at the 2 of them , Encore and Trax, I'm just wondering why such a tiny engine, that is the only thing holding me back from getting rid of my Allure, maybe in a few yrs they will bump that up to a 2.4
Don't let the motor scare you away from a great vehicle. The 1.4 turbo does a great job. I do suspect that next year it will get the direct injection (compared to port injection of the 1.4t) 1.6l turbo.

The 2.4 is going away. The new normally aspirated motor will be the 2.5 but I doubt the encore sees it.

DonP

VA
2017 Buick LaCrosse.
Small engine blues. I fear that federally mandated fuel economy standards, and the urban tilt of the current political power (Hunger Games anyone?) indictates that smaller engines are the wave of the future.

As to vehicle quality - it is as much the luck of the draw these days as it is the name plate. And some high end models whose owners swear by their "quality": are also spending several thousand a year on "routine dealer maintenance" - a far cry from a couple oil changes a year.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!