Disappointed with Buick Encore Purchase

rqjoe

3.8L Member
2000 Regal LS, 2003 Regal GS
My mother is thinking of an Encore. She is switching from a Forrester that has given me nothing but problems when I work on it (things break constantly.) I agree with the post on 'luck of the draw.' Some cars of every brand will give problems. Overall I am hooked on the Buicks though. I can work on them fairly easily. We will not hesitate to but an Encore.............

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
I like Buicks too but I'm not super jazzed about the lack of a start button, the single arm rest, or the non touch-screen radio.

Maybe not an issue for your mother but my 5'2" wife can just barely reach the grab point to close the rear hatch. Power lift gate? Nope. Seems like they left out some decent features.

adrunk

Silicon Valley
1-16-1992
I like Buicks too but I'm not super jazzed about the lack of a start button, the single arm rest, or the non touch-screen radio.

Maybe not an issue for your mother but my 5'2" wife can just barely reach the grab point to close the rear hatch. Power lift gate? Nope. Seems like they left out some decent features.
Datapoint:

None of the above are issues for me (us).

Been my daily driver for 2 months now and she's performed as designed with no problems of any kind.

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
My mother is thinking of an Encore. She is switching from a Forrester that has given me nothing but problems when I work on it (things break constantly.) I agree with the post on 'luck of the draw.' Some cars of every brand will give problems. Overall I am hooked on the Buicks though. I can work on them fairly easily. We will not hesitate to but an Encore.............
Exactly. Foresters are supposed to be among the most reliable cars out there.

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Datapoint:

None of the above are issues for me (us).

Been my daily driver for 2 months now and she's performed as designed with no problems of any kind.
Glad to hear you're happy with your Encore. Now if they could just design it more to my liking- since that's what matters to me (us) :D

dickencorenut

Buick
Glad to hear you're happy with your Encore. Now if they could just design it more to my liking- since that's what matters to me (us) :D
I too was disappointed that there wasn't a Start button, but I no longer care. It's no big deal for me. The single arm rest? I never use an arm rest so no issue for me. As far as the non-touch screen goes, the distance from the driver and the height obviously make touch impractical. I had touch in my Ford and I thought I'd hate the dial approach, but find I actually prefer it. No ugly fingerprints dirtying up my beautiful Buick. Imho, it's a non issue unless you're doing something like entering a destination in the Nav system. That's a pain. So...OnStar to the rescue. No more pokey entry. So there are pros and cons, but I sure prefer having the screen up high because I believe it's safer. Just mho.

Detroit, USA
Hey rgjoe,
Thanks for your support of Buick!! If you need any help locating a vehicle for your Mom just let me know, I would be happy to look for exactly what she wants. Happy and safe travels! :icon:
Kelly J. -Buick Customer Care

Encore Girl

San Francisco, CA
Buick Encore Leather, Navi, Sun & Bose

Lack of a power liftgate is a total bomb... Epic Fail for Buick but not enough to derail my purchase. & the (non) touch screen system is surprisingly simple to use.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
I am not particularly disappointed with my Encore thus far, except maybe the armrest. This vehicle has very low ground clearance, like 6-8". I am worried that if we have much of a snow, even with front wheel drive, it won't go. I have noticed I have to really slow down and be careful going over bumps, so that is probably why your Encore makes noises going over the ditch you report. I would have them put it up on a rack and check for bottom damage.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
Lack of a power liftgate is a total bomb... Epic Fail for Buick but not enough to derail my purchase. & the (non) touch screen system is surprisingly simple to use.
The liftgates move too slowly is one of the complaints i seen while researching aftermarket options. I'll end up yanking open like i do my parents minivan.

The hatch has a touch pad and could be operated with a single finger and lifted. The same way,

adrunk

Silicon Valley
1-16-1992
Same old stories. Domestic cars are bad, Japanese cars are perfect. It's a popular misconception. Go to different forums. You will find horror stories on Lexus and Mercedes. If you want a real fun read, just google M5 oil pump.

I have owned vehicles built in the US, Japan, Germany, Canada, and Mexico. I have had repairs (warranty and otherwise) on all of them.

Very true !

Get your turbo buick badge right here!