• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

DMV are Goverment sponsored Pirates

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
I always take 0-60 times with a grain of salt as different testers will get different numbers. But where does zero60times.com get their numbers from? Probably just pulling from magazines and other websites. So one year they pulled from Car and Driver and one year from who knows where. Car and Driver tends to have a little quicker 0-60 times....maybe they do their tests more aggressively?

Also, I've seen 6.5 to 6.7sec posted for my 2020 Traverse. The Regal is noticeably faster so a sub 6.0 sec 0-60 seems reasonable.
also something as simple as trans programming and calibrations can affect this, modern cars have a issue with transmissions shifting on point and those extra miliseconds and time spent not reacting to an input can trash a 0-60. For example. if im driving my gmas jeep cherokee(piece of shit) 2017 model, in sport mode, from dead stop, I would bet its sub 6 seconds, but in the same situation, at a random time, I could probably have almost a second delay before the thing even registers youre pressing the pedal and then it may even just slip and hesitate once it has realized this.

That time would be significantly worse, in my experience.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
no idea what trifecta is but if its a OBD to USB then I bet any generic OBD reader on a computer could but that depends on if the cable can be used by the program. you can get really cheap ELM327 or whatever its called cables for cheap and then they have Wifi and bluetooth ones for barely more. when i was in high school I bought a generic USB type cable and still have it, and it was 10-20 dollars, in 2017.
so i would try it and if it doesnt work, then its barely more for a new type online. if you have a smart phone, i know the lower end OBD2 softwares arent that expensive.
Trifecta, as in Trifecta Performance. It’s the company that wrote the tune for my Sportback. When you purchase the tune they ship you a USB flash cable. I figured as long as Windows recognizes the device and creates a COM port, it can be used by any OBD app.

I had planned on getting a wifi or Bluetooth OBD dongle once I finished my iPad integration. I wish there was some way I could develop an OBD diagnostics module for the Intellilink system, but I think it’s completely closed off. I’d have a better chance with the Harman HMI, since it runs on Android.

Thanks for the info!

Did I read that correctly? You were in high school in 2017? My 30-year high school reunion is this summer. Now I’m feeling old! 🤪

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I’d be really surprised if my Trifecta 0-60 was more than 5.0s. It pulls so hard and there’s a lunge into 3rd gear.
Really surprised Trifecta does not give people an idea of what performance increase they can expect from their tune. The increase must be modest at best if they aren't letting people know what they can expect.
Surprised your not getting more input from other people that have the tune on their Regal, and how they are beating performance cars with sub 5 second 0 to 60 times.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
Really surprised Trifecta does not give people an idea of what performance increase they can expect from their tune. The increase must be modest at best if they aren't letting people know what they can expect.
Surprised your not getting more input from other people that have the tune on their Regal, and how they are beating performance cars with sub 5 second 0 to 60 times.
Trifecta does list the expected gains in horsepower and torque, but nothing related to 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. This is from the Advantage Tune description…

“2.0L gains: up to +48 ft-lbs torque, +49 horsepower (peak gains of up to 43 ft-lbs torque, +42 horsepower)”

Theres a guy on YouTube that posted videos of his before and after 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I’m too lazy to look them up right now, but they’re easy to find.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Trifecta does list the expected gains in horsepower and torque, but nothing related to 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. This is from the Advantage Tune description…

“2.0L gains: up to +48 ft-lbs torque, +49 horsepower (peak gains of up to 43 ft-lbs torque, +42 horsepower)”

Theres a guy on YouTube that posted videos of his before and after 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I’m too lazy to look them up right now, but they’re easy to find.
I guess I better not race any tuned Regals with my 303 horse LS4 GP.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I love that every time I go to the DMV there's a different procedure to get something done. I picked up a 62 Corvair rampside that have been sitting since 1984. I remember how long it takes but basically it was out of the system in California. No big deal I thought I know I'll have to take the truck down there I know I'm going to have to get it weighed I will just get it put back in the system. I did call the DMV, and actually got a hold of somebody couldn't believe it. I asked what forms I was going to need and whether I was going to need to get the truck weighed or not. He said you weren't going to need to get away these are the forms you need etc etc. So I was like cool I went down there they looked it over, said you have to get it weighed... Okay and said I'm going to have to take it to the CHP to get VIN inspected because the VIN is only in one location and it's just a stamped metal tag riveted to the car. I was like yeah that's how they are. They responded their books don't go back that far so they can't verify the VIN. Okay fine schedule a trip to the CHP, takes them 45 minutes to verify the VIN, but they did sign off on it. Back to the DMV I talked to the lady and they said I needed other paperwork. I'm like this is the second time I've been back I've been standing in line for a total of like 7 hours at this point to talk to a manager and pushed it through. But for some reason I remember not getting the tag at that point, I had to come back one more time to actually get the tags.

When I went to put my grandmother's Porsche in hers and my name, I went to AAA because they offered DMV services for California. One guy said I needed all this paperwork because my grandfather's name was still on the pink slip. It was Grandma or Grandpa, not and. And I pointed that out I said why do I need any paperwork that says an or not an aunt. He said well because your grandfather has passed we need a copy of the death certificate we need this we need that blah blah blah etc etc, it was like five forms. Okay fine I got all the forms together went back and the person I saw I said why do you have all this. I said because the last guy said I needed all this. She said this pink slip says or you don't need any of this stuff but I'll take it anyway and that was that. We don't need to talk about how much registration costs in California because it's kind of ridiculous. We get taxed at 10%, there's a gas tax and all the other taxes tax tax. So I don't know why things have to be so expensive but I guess for having a balmy 70 degree day most of the year is what warrants all the extra charges. When I brought my tourx into the state, The dealership I bought it from accidentally went through a DMV registration service instead of the actual DMV because of the name of the service was very close to the name of the DMV. I don't know how that happened but whatever it was a much more pleasant experience I dealt with one person and they took care of all the paperwork I showed up showed in the car they went okay they went back to the DMV for me I showed up three days later I had paperwork and tags it was effing done. So I would almost recommend a registration service for this kind of stuff because they just take care of everything and it's done. Especially if you have a car that's been off the road for a long time.

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Trifecta, as in Trifecta Performance. It’s the company that wrote the tune for my Sportback. When you purchase the tune they ship you a USB flash cable. I figured as long as Windows recognizes the device and creates a COM port, it can be used by any OBD app.

I had planned on getting a wifi or Bluetooth OBD dongle once I finished my iPad integration. I wish there was some way I could develop an OBD diagnostics module for the Intellilink system, but I think it’s completely closed off. I’d have a better chance with the Harman HMI, since it runs on Android.

Thanks for the info!

Did I read that correctly? You were in high school in 2017? My 30-year high school reunion is this summer. Now I’m feeling old! 🤪
yes, I started elementary in 2004 and I was born the year of the presidential BJ

times are very different indeed
My car was made the summer I was born

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I
I love that every time I go to the DMV there's a different procedure to get something done. I picked up a 62 Corvair rampside that have been sitting since 1984. I remember how long it takes but basically it was out of the system in California. No big deal I thought I know I'll have to take the truck down there I know I'm going to have to get it weighed I will just get it put back in the system. I did call the DMV, and actually got a hold of somebody couldn't believe it. I asked what forms I was going to need and whether I was going to need to get the truck weighed or not. He said you weren't going to need to get away these are the forms you need etc etc. So I was like cool I went down there they looked it over, said you have to get it weighed... Okay and said I'm going to have to take it to the CHP to get VIN inspected because the VIN is only in one location and it's just a stamped metal tag riveted to the car. I was like yeah that's how they are. They responded their books don't go back that far so they can't verify the VIN. Okay fine schedule a trip to the CHP, takes them 45 minutes to verify the VIN, but they did sign off on it. Back to the DMV I talked to the lady and they said I needed other paperwork. I'm like this is the second time I've been back I've been standing in line for a total of like 7 hours at this point to talk to a manager and pushed it through. But for some reason I remember not getting the tag at that point, I had to come back one more time to actually get the tags.

When I went to put my grandmother's Porsche in hers and my name, I went to AAA because they offered DMV services for California. One guy said I needed all this paperwork because my grandfather's name was still on the pink slip. It was Grandma or Grandpa, not and. And I pointed that out I said why do I need any paperwork that says an or not an aunt. He said well because your grandfather has passed we need a copy of the death certificate we need this we need that blah blah blah etc etc, it was like five forms. Okay fine I got all the forms together went back and the person I saw I said why do you have all this. I said because the last guy said I needed all this. She said this pink slip says or you don't need any of this stuff but I'll take it anyway and that was that. We don't need to talk about how much registration costs in California because it's kind of ridiculous. We get taxed at 10%, there's a gas tax and all the other taxes tax tax. So I don't know why things have to be so expensive but I guess for having a balmy 70 degree day most of the year is what warrants all the extra charges. When I brought my tourx into the state, The dealership I bought it from accidentally went through a DMV registration service instead of the actual DMV because of the name of the service was very close to the name of the DMV. I don't know how that happened but whatever it was a much more pleasant experience I dealt with one person and they took care of all the paperwork I showed up showed in the car they went okay they went back to the DMV for me I showed up three days later I had paperwork and tags it was effing done. So I would almost recommend a registration service for this kind of stuff because they just take care of everything and it's done. Especially if you have a car that's been off the road for a long time.
I bought my car from a widow whos husband was on the title
Being that marriage was in wisconsin, the husband has death with the state, she has never moved, marital status making things equal, especially as the surviving person you get those rights..... Nope.
needed her to fill out a form that established her as being the rightful person to sign it over, because she was, that meant mailing her that(thank god she was good about it)

then Im told it needs to be done online for the rest of it.

Go online, denied.

"Theres a lien on the title"
Wisconsin law before 2012 ish had rules that if the dealer owned the car, for example, they put your name on the title issued it, but they had to release it by handwriting a release portion on the front and some on back , I think, and then you were fine, you just kept on living, but if you wanted to have a clear title, for example, you needed to get a new one with that one.

Well, they changed that. Wisconsin law now requires the lien holder to have a title essentially ordered from the DMV and sent to the owner which would have the lien no where.

Well, this car was released before that, since they paid it off and that was not law. So the DMV system tells me i cant do it online, after being told i had to do that part online.

I sorta forgot, and now 3 years later I still havent.. RIP.. but Ive been pulled over 4 times, 5. Speeding and unjustified times, 2 of those unjustified, only 2 tickets. 2 were outdated registration. I made it to december 2_ 2020 with august expired plates, I was impressed. The other one followed literally 2 days and It was a weekend :( he made it for less tho

Anyway, thank god a green 1998 Park avenue is pretty close to a earth tone brown 1999 park avenue
and the green one went to the scrap cab of death, presumably, after its drivetrain were taken by the scrapper guy who bought it for his wifes car. he didnt get the aluminum hood tho, i sold that for enough to recoup the money put into that car. win.

anyway, no messing with success right
its insured
I keep the papers. shameless.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership

Thanks for the info!

They may have made their cable proprietary if you bought a cable +small box or just a cable with an electronic tune. Older obd tuners were notorious for being able to use their device X amount of times before they would lock out of it, and im not sure how yours was like. at least its cheap if you need something else.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
As a former gasman I would appreciate you not bad mouthing pilot lights, they are not guttering or spent unless something is amiss..... Ms.
  1. a small gas burner kept continuously burning to light a larger burner when needed, especially on a gas stove or water heater.

2. an electric indicator light or control light.

I found that the definition makes sense better with the second one, think like a EXIT sign flickering

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
  1. a small gas burner kept continuously burning to light a larger burner when needed, especially on a gas stove or water heater.

Does that mean you were referring to guttering and spent to a electric type pilot?
You sound really smart and interesting, not many ladies are interested in the inner workings of vehicles. Unless they stop working... and then they would probably not dream about working on their vehicle, or even have a nightmare about dropping oil pan and getting drenched with oil.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
The other one followed literally 2 days and It was a weekend :( he made it for less tho
Traffic tickets always seem to come in pairs, at least that’s been my experience. I pretty much gave up driving like a d-bag in 2002, after getting back-to-back speeding tickets on Mother’s Day and Father’s Day.

My car insurance went from $140/mo. to $299/mo. and since Paul Walker had already been cast for the lead role in The Fast and Furious, I decided to give up speeding.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

I found that the definition makes sense better with the second one, think like a EXIT sign...
Thanks for adding the part about the exit sign!
Been having terrible nitemares.... back when I was a service tech, and trying to deal with the guttering and spent pilot lights. Maybe will be able to sleep without waking up in a cold sweat after not being able to fix the guttering and spent condition after cleaning the pilot assembly and checking for pressure problems.
LJ

Last edited:

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
I guess I better not race any tuned Regals with my 303 horse LS4 GP.
I love eating up 6-cylinder Camaros, Mustangs and Chargers! Their drivers are really easy to lure into a street race. I haven’t had an opportunity to line up with a worthy opponent yet. I’ll probably end up getting smoked by a Kia or an Audi or something like that.

The Sportback is truly a pleasure to drive!

DrFaustus

Denver
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I bought my car from a widow whos husband was on the title
Being that marriage was in wisconsin, the husband has death with the state, she has never moved, marital status making things equal, especially as the surviving person you get those rights..... Nope.
needed her to fill out a form that established her as being the rightful person to sign it over, because she was, that meant mailing her that(thank god she was good about it)
That reminds me of when I bought my Triumph Spitfire. I bought it in what was a divorce fire sale. The guy I bought it from had never registered it in state and the paperwork I had was not valid. I ended up needing to get a hold of the previous owner. He had to get a duplicate title and send it to me from several states away. All pre-internet days and required a visit to the DMV. I'm just lucky we was willing to do it. He did wait until he had to renew his car's registration a few months later. I just kept the "For Sale" sign on the car and ran it without plates. When I was pulled over I just claimed it was a test drive.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
That reminds me of when I bought my Triumph Spitfire. I bought it in what was a divorce fire sale. The guy I bought it from had never registered it in state and the paperwork I had was not valid. I ended up needing to get a hold of the previous owner. He had to get a duplicate title and send it to me from several states away. All pre-internet days and required a visit to the DMV. I'm just lucky we was willing to do it. He did wait until he had to renew his car's registration a few months later. I just kept the "For Sale" sign on the car and ran it without plates. When I was pulled over I just claimed it was a test drive.
Ahh memories :)

Here that kind of activity would get your house no-knocked at 1am for maintaining a drug trafficking place and a good healthy bit about car chopping in the garage, and probably harboring a fugitive(without ever getting stopped)

Amct15

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
I love eating up 6-cylinder Camaros, Mustangs and Chargers! Their drivers are really easy to lure into a street race. I haven’t had an opportunity to line up with a worthy opponent yet. I’ll probably end up getting smoked by a Kia or an Audi or something like that.

The Sportback is truly a pleasure to drive!
…..But didn’t you say you gave up speeding 2 posts ago? :unsure:;)

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
You can race without speeding. 0 to 55
This is true! And yes for the most part I don’t speed. I haven’t had a ticket in 20 years. The two tickets I referred to in my post were received on the Interstate within 15 miles of each other. So, I set cruise control for 5 mph over the limit and that’s it. I also do not speed in my city.