Do GM employees get the best pricing?

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
My father worked for General Motors for his entire career. Back when the MSRP was marked way up, the GM Employee discount was pretty significant. Now, and this post 9/11, it seems like the GM Employee discount is barely anything.

As an example, a Regal CXL RL3 has an MSRP of $28065 and it looks like the employee price is $27378. That's not much of a discount. I can't see the LaCrosse price at the moment as I'm waiting on a password reset. But my question is, what are people paying for their cars and are they really getting a better deal than the GM employee price?

I'm not in front of my paperwork from my LaCrosse at the moment but my vehicle is a CSX with the nav system and spoiler. I did not get the rear entertainment system, a sunroof or big wheels. But other than those three items, I believe it's fully loaded.

I'm curious what others have paid so I can figure out if the GM employee discount is really even worth it.

Does anyone recall what they paid and what the MSRP was on their vehicle? It sure seems like you can get better deals negotiating than you can just taking the employee discount.

I also did my financing through an outside lender so I didn't use the dealership or GMAC for that.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
Employee prices vary based upon the car.
Hot sellers get less discount, slow movers get more.
Dealers are free to sell cars for as much (or little) as they want.
They do not have to honor employee pricing.
You certainly COULD get better than employee pricing but why would they want to discount a vehicle that they know they'll sell tomorrow to someone else at a higher price?
In July last year there were no deals for Lacrosse's anywhere,
I tried 15+ dealers covering 3 states and they were within $200 of each other and no budging.
Sometimes you'll get a better price using their financing over your own or even cash because they usually get a 'kickback' from their lenders.
That's why they always ask you up front about the financing.

freelancer

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
They have adjusted the pricing structure for Employee Discounting. Supplier and Employee discount is the same number but Employees get an EVA, currently $1,000 on LaCrosse. This is basically a rebate and is used regionally on vehicles to move the high inventory models by getting employees to purchase via an incentive.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
Back in the day the employee could get a certain reduction off the best price that they could negotiate with a dealer or instead choose a certain percentage off the invoice.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
I didn't get any employee discount, but I'm very happy with the price I got. I don't have the paperwork here with me but between the discount I was able to haggle on the car itself, GM incentives offered at that time (existing customer loyalty discount of $1,500 (I was able to take advantage of the fact that my dad had a Saturn), one other incentive I believe and the discount I got on the extended warranty (50% off or so?), I ended up with over $8,000 off the posted price.

This was right near the end of the model year so I had to take what was on the lot but I got almost exactly what I wanted in terms of color and features (didn't get the side blind zone warning I wanted and I did get the rear air bags I didn't want).

At the time I was reading articles on negotiating car deals and they said that you can expect to haggle down between 5 and 10% of the asking price, and on "in-demand" models, 3-5%. I ended up with about 7% off as I recall.

Worked out well overall.

beez

Buick Ownership
Buick
I bought my 2011 CSX in March. It has everything but the rear dvd's and the touring package. The MSRP on the vehicle was $39,350 if I recall correctly. I did get the GM employee price plus an extra conquest incentive for $1500. The final price paid was just a hair over $36,000. It's not exactly $8,000 but it was the best I could do! haha

Jos Fas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Employee prices vary based upon the car.
Hot sellers get less discount, slow movers get more.
Dealers are free to sell cars for as much (or little) as they want.
They do not have to honor employee pricing.
You certainly COULD get better than employee pricing but why would they want to discount a vehicle that they know they'll sell tomorrow to someone else at a higher price?
In July last year there were no deals for Lacrosse's anywhere,
I tried 15+ dealers covering 3 states and they were within $200 of each other and no budging.
Sometimes you'll get a better price using their financing over your own or even cash because they usually get a 'kickback' from their lenders.
That's why they always ask you up front about the financing.
I'm a 'GM retiree and I'll tell you, you hit the nail right on the head every word you said is exactly CORRECT You do know what you are talking about. Basically, there are no more GM employee discounts. Everyone gets treated equal.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!