Do hood ornaments typically come loose with time?

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Wondering what gives with my hood ornament. Earlier while out I realized it was missing. Upon reviewing dash cam footage it was on the car when I left and fell off at a spot on the road when someone cut me off and I hit the brakes. When I drove back to where I saw it fell off, it was ruined from being driven over for 4 hours on the busy road. I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced them loosening after say 30 years or if something more nefarious might have happened in my case. Where it was parked overnight a spring and cotter pin sort of item were found. Not enough of the emblem left to tell if it was ripped out and put back in place or anything. Am thinking the hose down I did of the car last night must have been enough pressure to somehow loosen the old pin? Just something for people with hood ornaments to keep in mind I guess; check that they’re secure! Local guy thinks he has a new one in storage for me.

187F6316-3C04-426D-87F0-126997870D26.jpeg

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited 148k miles
Considering that the car is nearly 30 years old you're lucky that's all that's falling off. They ain't getting any younger. We do the best we can with what we have as the quality of the newer stuff seems to be questionable at best. :D

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
I’ve fixed almost everything else that could or should break so if anything’s going to fall off it’ll be something like this I haven’t touched. Just shitty I have to throw away money for this part now when it could go into something else on the car, not that it really needs much. Is actually tempting to completely remove the hood ornament but would probably cost just as much to properly fill in and paint the area. This should cost me no more than $20 to replace but will probably be more like $50-100 or more if I’m lucky.

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
$50 every 30 years for a hood ornament isn't that bad.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
I actually think I like the look of it better without the ornament. Shame the steel was drilled into for it. I’d be lucky to get one shipped to me for $50, that would probably be for a used one. Guy locally has one with a different base, not sure if I could just take the top part and make it work with the existing base. It’s money I don’t want to spend on something so stupid. If you could only see the video of it all happening.

Last edited:

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Did end up finding one locally.. $20, got lucky on this one. Going to use the new (slightly longer) spring and the existing clip from the old ornament which is in better shape. Still not sure how the old one could have came loose given the hardware was present. The lower part with the hole where the clip loops into must have just broke? Hardly seems the weakest point of the setup so it’s strange.

EA78CCD8-602B-4F2E-B8C7-58FBA67BB054.jpeg

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners