Do you have a spare tire?

Do you have a spare?

• Total voters

pogster

Alberta
I was just reading an article where more than 10% of new cars don't come with a jack and spare - LaCrosse included. Instead some manufactures are opting to replace the spare with a tire sealant and compressor kit. What came with your new LaCrosse?

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Mine has it. It's a 125/70/17, inflate to 60 psi. Does the eAssist still have the well? If so I'd probably buy a spare to put in there. I realize Buick's come with On-Star & several years of roadside service but the thought of not having my own means of getting out of a bad spot gives me the creeps. Yeah it's some extra weight to lug around, but to me it's insurance. I leave a couple hundred bucks in the car and figure my wife could get someone to change it for her in a pinch. The manual states that the included compact spare is good for 3000 miles and up to 65 mph, that'll get you home from almost anywhere in the country.

Last edited:

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
We have the compact spare. Back in 2011 you could order the spare or the tire inflator kit. If you opted for the kit you got a $100 CREDIT.
Seems like that changed in 2012. I tried to build one at the Buick site and it looks like if you get the 4 banger = inflator kit and V6 = spare tire.
In hindsight I think I'd rather have the $100. Was just trying to remember the last time I actually used a spare tire, any spare tire, and I think it was my Father-in-laws car perhaps 5 years ago. Prior to that I can't remember using a spare for at least 10 years.
I've put inflator kits in my daughters vehicles as they are unlikely to be able to actually swap a tire anyway. This way they can squirt in some fix-a-flat and pump it up.
The manufacturers are removing them to save weight. Weight = fuel economy. You'll probably see a lot less of spare tires as we get closer to those new MPG regs and the vehicles get smaller and smaller.

pogster

Alberta
Before I purchased my Lacrosse I had downloaded a copy of the owners manual and it was then that I became aware of the no spare option. From what I understand is if you use the sealant to fill your flat to get you going again you've pretty much ruined the tire. While I might have saved a hundred bucks at time of purchase its going to cost me a lot more to replace it for the sake of a simple patch. Plus if you get a side wall puncture or cut you're hooped and stuck on the side of the road and where I live a flat in the country could mean a long wait for a tow truck. No thanks. I'd rather have the spare tire. When I buy my next car, and it has a sealant kit with no space for a spare it will be a make-or-break deal.

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
I feel like "maximize fuel economy/weight saving" for you really equals "cost savings" for the manufacturer. Just one more thing to skimp on. My mother's leasing a small Hyundai, I think it's an Elantra. Here's their 'How To' video, I assume she'll be calling for help :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-epw8Ej6-U[/ame]

Last edited:

gorgerit

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2011 Enclave and a 2010 LaCrosse
My 2010 CXL AWD has a spare. Beyond the sealant impact on the tire, what about the pressure sensors? I've carried my own little compressor and a plug kit for years in each vehicle. Good insurance that doesn't take up much space. I have these along with jumper cables, a tarp, rope, gloves, and a few bungees tucked around the spare tire.

Chris

BIG ROCCO

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav
No spare, 2012 e-Assist

Same here - there is not even a damn jack in the well! I am going to track down the spare and jack at a salvage yard at some point - we drive long distances through the desert sometimes, where there are no services and not even cell phone service...I wondering now, does On-Star still work where there is no cell phone service?

We had a flat/blowout one time, at night, on the way to Las Vegas in my wife's Grand Prix - would have been screwed with no mini spare. Even with the spare, we had to hunt down a tire dealer in LV with the same size and tire model in stock before we felt safe driving back.

I'm willing to give up .1 MPG or whatever it is to have a mini spare

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
This DOESN'T say it will fit a LaCrosse after 2009, but i'm wondering if you could find out the cross reference on your car and this thing I found on eBay. Maybe the seller can answer some questions. It has the same size tire as the one in my car but I have no way of knowing if the bolt pattern or other specifics would work for you. Good luck finding a spare!

Couple 2010 used jacks, always read eBay descriptions carefully! :) Jack 1 Jack 2

Last edited:

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
Before I purchased my Lacrosse I had downloaded a copy of the owners manual and it was then that I became aware of the no spare option. From what I understand is if you use the sealant to fill your flat to get you going again you've pretty much ruined the tire. While I might have saved a hundred bucks at time of purchase its going to cost me a lot more to replace it for the sake of a simple patch. Plus if you get a side wall puncture or cut you're hooped and stuck on the side of the road and where I live a flat in the country could mean a long wait for a tow truck. No thanks. I'd rather have the spare tire. When I buy my next car, and it has a sealant kit with no space for a spare it will be a make-or-break deal.
it doesn't ruin the tire, only the TPMS

A1A Rider

Buick Ownership
Buick
No spare on my LaCrosse. Last used a spare about 7 years ago, but was on the way to the airport and could not have waited for roadside assistance. Have never used a fix a flat. In the SUV, I have picked up a few screws, roofing nails and shards on my daily commutes, even with heavy offroad tires that needed patching. Not sure if the low resistance tires would have allowed me to drive it to the tire store for a patching, but I have no experience with this type of tire.

ADGM

AZ
Buick Ownership
Buick Lacross
My 2013 came with a spare. Would be cool to get the compressor kit just in case. Might check if its available, how much it would cost.

ADGM

AZ
Buick Ownership
Buick Lacross
Damn didnt see the date of post!

Geno

Central NY
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick LaCrosse
I have a temporary spare tire. I'm not sure that the tpms registers the air pressure in it though.W hat is nice is my '13 LaCrosse shows the air pressure in each tire. The TPMS in my '12 Camry Hybrid only shows if a tire is low not which one, which can be a pain trying to figure out which one is low and if all gauge ok then maybe the spare is low!
I miss the old days with no tpms nonsense.

2012lacrosse

St. Andrews, MB.
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
My 2010 CXL AWD has a spare. Beyond the sealant impact on the tire, what about the pressure sensors? I've carried my own little compressor and a plug kit for years in each vehicle. Good insurance that doesn't take up much space. I have these along with jumper cables, a tarp, rope, gloves, and a few bungees tucked around the spare tire.

Chris
In our cars we carry pretty much the same except no bungees but instead a collapsable shovel for snow, a blanket and snow boots. All for the most dangerous season, winter.

Spare tire is present. A jack is carried as is the correct socket, extension and ratchet for the lug nuts. I don't want to damage the finish with a cheap wheel wrench.