Do you regret buying a LaCrosse vs SUV?

budven

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #1
Do you ever wish you had the higher visibility of an SUV? It seems many car models are being discontinued do to lack of sales. Are you content with your LaCrosse?

PurpleHaze

3.9L Member :)
Buick Ownership
Buick
That is why I have both(SUV and sedan) in my home. A SUV for hauling crap and a nice comfortable car to cruise in when not hauling massive payloads. I learned long ago to own various type of cars.:)

However, if I had to own just one car or truck then I would buy an AWD wagon or crossover.

Mad*Max

Buick Ownership
2010 Lacrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2012 Chev Sonic
maybe because I am used to sitting on the ground (in my Corvette...lol)

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Roger that on the ground seating. Purposely bought a LaCrosse after wife closed her ceramics business. Always have somebody around with a truck and free delivery, shipping and nil sales tax always a plus. Now trunk is small (exterior design lines of coarse) but with seats that fold down...... Can easily put 8' Fluor light tubes right in car or a few 2x4's, very versatile. Talk about shiny car, don't know why actually but it's gleaming (for a few minutes before pollen coverage anyways). Wash often though and use wash 'n wax.

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Do you ever wish you had the higher visibility of an SUV?
Sometimes.

It seems many car models are being discontinued [due] to lack of sales.
Yes this is happening. SUVs suffered a similar fate when gas prices spiked in the late 2000s. Will history repeat itself and the same happen next time the prices go up significantly?

Are you content with your LaCrosse?
Hell yes. I never intended to get a SUV. Our second car is always something SUV-ish. We use that for hauling, etc like Purplehaze explained. This arrangement allows me to get something enjoyable for the commute and longer trips. She likes the SUV more anyway (although she has told me she "really likes" the LaCrosse as well).

Mad*Max

Buick Ownership
all the SUVs that I have ridden in (even fairly big ones) have less passenger space than my LaCrosse, the only difference is the SUV will have more trunk space but for me the cabin is priority

Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
I have an old Jeep XJ Cherokee knocking around that my wife likes to drive. Handy for hauling stuff around, too. And very, very handy indeed for keeping my beloved (but perpetually shedding) German Shepherd out of my Buick.

But when I bought my Buick (used) would I have contemplated an SUV? No. A big sedan car like a LaCrosse is elegant and refined. I guess, in all honesty, I bought the LaCrosse because it reminded me of a Jag, without taking on the headaches of owning a Jaguar. The styling on the first generation LaCrosse, to my eyes, is rather beautiful and quite Jaguar-esque.

SUVs are practical and unlovely. Crossovers are fugly, without even having the benefits of a proper SUV; their incredible popularity these days never ceases to amaze me.

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
I used to be a coupe man - drove large 2 door Caprices, and hated when all the manufacturers dropped that style of car (MonteCarlo, Riviera, Toronado, etc) in favor of sedans. Now I see domestic sedans going bye bye, and it bothers me, but what choice do I have? I will continue enjoying my 2016 Lacrosse as long as it keeps going, or at least until I get so fat and out of shape that I need to buy a truck like all of the other fat and out of shape Americans. :)

Mad*Max

Buick Ownership
I'm a big fan of those GM coupes, I almost bought a Monte Carlo but didn't work out, I wish they would come out with a Buick branded coupe!

Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Now I see domestic sedans going bye bye, and it bothers me, but what choice do I have?
I guess this is sacrilege on a Buick board, but yes, I foresee that happening, too, and I see Buick (in the US) going bye-bye with them.

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL

Mad*Max

Buick Ownership

PurpleHaze

Buick Ownership
Buick
all the SUVs that I have ridden in (even fairly big ones) have less passenger space than my LaCrosse, the only difference is the SUV will have more trunk space but for me the cabin is priority
LOL. I have a 2006 Cadillac Escalade and it has way more leg room than my 2014 Lacrosse in the second row reclining seats not to mention the third row seats. However, the Lacrosse rear seats are very roomy but not nearly as roomy as a full sized SUV.

Hell, passengers can nearly fold the second row seats flat and sleep on long trips in the Caddy while watching a movie. Passengers cannot do that in my Lacrosse.

Both of my rides has pros and cons, however passenger space is the pro for the Escalade. Smoother ride is the Lacrosse pro.

Mad*Max

Buick Ownership
LOL. I have a 2006 Cadillac Escalade and it has way more leg room than my 2014 Lacrosse in the second row reclining seats not to mention the third row seats. However, the Lacrosse rear seats are very roomy but not nearly as roomy as a full sized SUV.

Hell, passengers can nearly fold the second row seats flat and sleep on long trips in the Caddy while watching a movie. Passengers cannot do that in my Lacrosse.

Both of my rides has pros and cons, however passenger space is the pro for the Escalade. Smoother ride is the Lacrosse pro.
I would say that there probably aren't many SUVs in the price range of the LaCrosse that would be as spacious as the Esclade?

PurpleHaze

Buick Ownership
Buick
I would say that there probably aren't many SUVs in the price range of the LaCrosse that would be as spacious as the Esclade?
LOL. I did not know we had a price cap to the question.:)

However, my 2006 Escalade was only $8k used, however it did need some work to freshen it up.

My wife drives a 2011 Lexus RX350 AWD we owned since 2014 and it is still more roomy than the Lacrosse. However, not that much more to be honest even though it does have more cargo room overall.
Used Lexus RX350 are about the price of a Lacrosse, sort of. The used Caddy was way cheaper than my 2014 Lacrosse.

I just have the Cadillac for my own projects since the Lexus is too damn nice to load up with lumber and tow a trailer with. Plus, it is only has a V6 that is weaker than my Lacrosse V6. Still a very nice crossover even after being 7 years old with nice features like heat/cool seats and navigation. My wife like it so that is what matters. I find the Lexus boring as hell to drive, so I drive only the Buick or the Cadillac.

I learned the hard way that we need to have our own AWD and cargo vehicles during an ice storm we had here in Atlanta years ago where we both had to work; I ended up staying home since my car was not AWD and her crossover was.:(

And when I bought a 55in TV at Best Buy that would not fit in the car trunk with the box and my wife had the only crossover at the time (2006 Nissan Murano). Ever since I made sure we had a used spare SUV for such occasions. Plus, the spare SUV save us many of times when one of our cars break down so we did not have to carpool since we both work pretty far from each other.

Last edited:

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I learned the hard way that we need to have our own AWD and cargo vehicles during an ice storm we had here in Atlanta years ago where we both had to work; I ended up staying home since my car was not AWD and her crossover was.:(
This has long been a dilemma for us living in the northeast. While it helps sometimes to have awd/4wd for the winter, it's usually not more than a couple times a year it's *necessary*. In which case, I'll either stay home or wait for the plows to catch up and head in a bit later. I've had years where the biggest storms just happen to hit on the weekends and I never needed to even drive in any truly messy stuff without awd. For me the additional cost of AWD would be wasted, even though I live in a place where people traditionally flock to Subaru dealerships.

It's a tough cost/benefit analysis for those living in wintry areas, especially if they're say nurses and have to get to work to tend to bed ridden patients.

However, for most people I suspect what really happens is they get large trucks for hauling when they may actually use the capacity once or twice over the course of owning the vehicle, as well as awd/4wd for the very occasional (if ever) weather related need. Often I think it comes down to people wanting something and creating a list of reasons to justify the purchase, versus methodically working out how much that something costs and whether the benefit exists.

As far as full size SUVs having a lot of passenger space - I sure as hell hope they do, otherwise it seems like a terrible waste of space/poor fuel economy.

PurpleHaze

Buick Ownership
Buick
This has long been a dilemma for us living in the northeast. While it helps sometimes to have awd/4wd for the winter, it's usually not more than a couple times a year it's *necessary*. In which case, I'll either stay home or wait for the plows to catch up and head in a bit later. I've had years where the biggest storms just happen to hit on the weekends and I never needed to even drive in any truly messy stuff without awd. For me the additional cost of AWD would be wasted, even though I live in a place where people traditionally flock to Subaru dealerships.

It's a tough cost/benefit analysis for those living in wintry areas, especially if they're say nurses and have to get to work to tend to bed ridden patients.

However, for most people I suspect what really happens is they get large trucks for hauling when they may actually use the capacity once or twice over the course of owning the vehicle, as well as awd/4wd for the very occasional (if ever) weather related need. Often I think it comes down to people wanting something and creating a list of reasons to justify the purchase, versus methodically working out how much that something costs and whether the benefit exists.

As far as full size SUVs having a lot of passenger space - I sure as hell hope they do, otherwise it seems like a terrible waste of space/poor fuel economy.
LOL. So true. I really do not "need" the SUV, however I sure as hell love my Caddy.:) Yet, it had came in handy over the years and is fun as hell to drive especial on dirt roads.

My wife just like driving crossovers( Nissan Murano, Lexus Rx350,etc); not full SUV or cars.

You hit it on the nose about some jobs require you to come to work even in rough weather; my wife is a nurse so she still has to go in if at all possible regardless of the weather.

In regards to AWD. It is not needed much in the South, but due to Atlanta history of poor road clearing ; AWD is must for some down here. The back roads here can be covered with ice for days in my area so I make sure I have an AWD system and good all season tires which is usually enough for my area to get by safely when the roads are iced over.

However, it still safer to stay home when roads are iced over here because most other drivers do not have proper tires or AWD in Atlanta, and slide all over the road.:(

I had two cars nearly hit me during the last ice storm because they spun out if control due to loss of traction on hilly streets. My AWD Caddy handled the slippery hilly roads with no trouble at all.

Last year road condition during the last ice storm we had in my area. My FWD Lacrosse with the crappy 20in OEM AS tires was useless in this weather. The AWD SUV saved the day on my frosted work commute.

This long stretch of hilly road was just straight ice. The fellow Buick owner on the right could not pull the hill.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.