• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Do you use regular or premium? LTG engine.

Do you use regular or premium? If you switched from one to the other. Did you feel any difference?

• Premium

Votes: 57 87.7%
  • Regular

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Mid grade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

powermax

Buick Regal Sportback 2019
Do you use regular or premium? If you switched from one to the other. Did you feel any difference?

Ben Daigneault

2019 Regal GS
regular or super?? If manufacturers say regular, put regular. If you think that using super help fuel economy and power, that is totally false. Octane is a explosion retarder, high octane’s used into hi compression engineto avoid pre-explosion then engine knocking.

91 octane means 91 % of isooctane (very low explosion property) and 9% of Heptane (highly explosive). So regular 87 octane is 87% iso and 13 % Heptane.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
88 E15, because I can.

dont confuse required with recommended. Real life I see 2 degrees knock retard with 93E10 and 4 degrees with 88. Not worth the money.

Ben Daigneault

2019 Regal GS
88 E15, because I can.

dont confuse required with recommended. Real life I see 2 degrees knock retard with 93E10 and 4 degrees with 88. Not worth the money.
it said “use” not recommended in the 3.6 and recommended for the 2.0 of 93 and 87 can be use! Also Top Tier fuel is recommanded I.e Synergy fuel “Mobil, ESSO”.

Idano

Preferred Red Needle TourX
I use premium in all three of my vehicles, otherwise they will knock when I stick my foot in them during the summer.

FavaBean

DE
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I absolutely feel a difference running 93 vs 87. But I've been running 87 lately to save a few bucks. Yes, it runs fine with 87...but throttle response is slightly less responsive.

Economy was worse while using 93, but I attribute that to more aggressive driving.

BoostedRegal2.0

2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
88 E15, because I can.

If it's retarding timing, knock is occurring and it's damaging your engine. In other words, it's too late to apply the brakes once you have crashed into the car ahead of you, the damage is done.

I have always run 93 octane in my car, even before I tuned it.

Ben Daigneault

2019 Regal GS
I absolutely feel a difference running 93 vs 87. But I've been running 87 lately to save a few bucks. Yes, it runs fine with 87...but throttle response is slightly less responsive.

Economy was worse while using 93, but I attribute that to more aggressive driving.
Probably driving habit because octane have no incidence on power/fuel consumption.

BoostedRegal2.0

Octane does have an effect on power if the motor is tuned for 93 octane. It will pull timing and reduce boost if it's a turbo and you'll feel less power with 87 octane.

Ben Daigneault

2019 Regal GS
Octane does have an effect on power if the motor is tuned for 93 octane. It will pull timing and reduce boost if it's a turbo and you'll feel less power with 87 octane.
No, octane have an effect on knocking, nothing to do with power increase or decrease. If you not using the proper Octane, engine won’t work properly. The Only Power That you Will feel is the engine running at is original specs.

BoostedRegal2.0

Yes it does read this, and note the bold letters I highlighted that prove what I said in my last post:

The higher the octane rating, the more the fuel can withstand greater pressures without pre-igniting. This allows for a variety of options that can increase power and efficiency. These options include increasing the compression ratio, increasing boost pressure, changing the timing of spark ignition, injecting less fuel into the cylinder, and more. Additionally, engines designed to work with higher octane also burn the fuel more completely getting the most bang for the buck for each power stroke.

So, to summarize, the additional power that you get from a 93 octane tune allows for more aggressive tuning parameters because the fuel will not pre-ignite when compressed at higher levels. More compression = bigger bang/more power.

Ben Daigneault

2019 Regal GS
Yes it does read this, and note the bold letters I highlighted that prove what I said in my last post:

The higher the octane rating, the more the fuel can withstand greater pressures without pre-igniting. This allows for a variety of options that can increase power and efficiency. These options include increasing the compression ratio, increasing boost pressure, changing the timing of spark ignition, injecting less fuel into the cylinder, and more. Additionally, engines designed to work with higher octane also burn the fuel more completely getting the most bang for the buck for each power stroke.

So, to summarize, the additional power that you get from a 93 octane tune allows for more aggressive tuning parameters because the fuel will not pre-ignite when compressed at higher levels. More compression = bigger bang/more power.

the idea of octane is to
delay the explosion, we agree with that? So, when the gasoline air mixture enters the combustion chamber, after a determined time, a compression rate also determined, the mixture will ignite at the right time.

on the other hand if you use a lower octane, combustion will be choppy because the parameters are not adjusted for this purpose. so if you use an octane too low in a high compression engine, the
mixture will explode too quickly causing a knock due to the advance of this explosion.

It is also true that if you use a higher octane in an engine with a lower compression ratio, the explosion will be late, it will light up with the spark plug but will not be optimal due to low compression.

in either direction, use the octane prescribed by the manufacturer.

I repeat, the only reason why you could feel a power effect is because your engine will run according to its specifications is 100% with the specified octane.

believe me i know what i'm talking about, i've been in the oil/gas industry for a long time!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!