• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Does a k&n cold air intake 63-3097 give a CEL on a stock tune?

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
Just wondering if anyone who has installed one could confirm this for me... wanting to use one without tuning but I don't want a check engine light
Does you K&N cold air intake give you any check engine lights?

72buickgs

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sporthatch, 1972 Buick GS
I know that when K&N air filters were installed in ford 5 l. trucks, there was a check engine light which, if I remember correctly, was allowing too much air in the intake - too free air flow.

Thestryder555

Buick Ownership
TourX
Highly likely to throw a CEL at some point. Probably not right away but, it will likely throw things off enough to pop a CEL.

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
Highly likely to throw a CEL at some point. Probably not right away but, it will likely throw things off enough to pop a CEL.
That's kind of how I'm feeling at this point, considering how much they charge $$ for the kit it would be nice to have some kind of statement about it - "may cause CEL" or "won't cause CEL on replacement of stock air intake" guess I'll hold off my final judgement until I hear from someone who has one installed though. Appreciate your thoughts nonetheless

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
These cars have factory cold air intakes.

I have posted this at least 20 times here.
Thanks but that wasn't the question I asked. I'm quite aware most cars stock/oem filters have a "cold air duct" these days but there will always be people like me who want to replace them so they can hear that beautiful turbo sound. I'm just not willing to do that if it causes are codes - still waiting to hear from someone who actually has one installed 🍻

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I know this still isn't quite the answer you're looking for, but have you tried contacting K&N directly?

At first glance, the K&N kit in question accepts the factory MAF/IAT sensors and PCV tube. As long as the computer is getting data, it should recognise a change in the air flow/temp and adjust accordingly. My guess is that no CELs would pop up for this reason alone.

I fully support your cause. I was really hoping this video had more details (and some sweet intake noises) but it's just a tease.

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Thanks but that wasn't the question I asked. I'm quite aware most cars stock/oem filters have a "cold air duct" these days but there will always be people like me who want to replace them so they can hear that beautiful turbo sound. I'm just not willing to do that if it causes are codes - still waiting to hear from someone who actually has one installed 🍻
No need to thank me.

Do what VW does and add a speaker with engine noises in the dash. Whoosh and vroom away!

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
I know this still isn't quite the answer you're looking for, but have you tried contacting K&N directly?

At first glance, the K&N kit in question accepts the factory MAF/IAT sensors and PCV tube. As long as the computer is getting data, it should recognise a change in the air flow/temp and adjust accordingly. My guess is that no CELs would pop up for this reason alone.

I fully support your cause. I was really hoping this video had more details (and some sweet intake noises) but it's just a tease.
Yessir, have tried contacting them but as expected I've received no reply... Have searched multiple forums with different cars that have the 2.0 ltg turbo and haven't found a definitive answer sadly! Have also viewed that video and alot of install videos (the reason why I want to install one cause damn they sounded good 😁) appreciate you taking the time to link it and I'll msg you if I have any luck finding out more

Thestryder555

Buick Ownership
TourX
Yessir, have tried contacting them but as expected I've received no reply... Have searched multiple forums with different cars that have the 2.0 ltg turbo and haven't found a definitive answer sadly! Have also viewed that video and alot of install videos (the reason why I want to install one cause damn they sounded good 😁) appreciate you taking the time to link it and I'll msg you if I have any luck finding out more
They likely won't respond or if they do, they will likely refer to a statement somewhere that the intakes are for "offroad use only". That typically how aftermarket companies get away with this kind of crap.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Just pulling @Maddox_B's post into this already established thread...
So I just put in a K&N cold air intake for my 2018 Buick Regal sport back. I can definitely feel a difference which is good. But.... I was wondering why it made a pshhhh noise every time I shifted. The car also threw a code after 2 days of driving it. I haven’t pulled the code yet but I’m assuming it’s from the mass air flow sensor since it’s pulling in so much more air. Just wondering if clearing the code would help or how I need to go about this. Thanks.
This also means my assumptions were wrong. Though I'm still curious to know what caused the code.

As far as the "pshhhh" noise, is that not just added intake noise associated with installing CAI's in general? Are you hearing a bit more turbo or is it something else?

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
Just pulling @Maddox_B's post into this already established thread...

This also means my assumptions were wrong. Though I'm still curious to know what caused the code.

As far as the "pshhhh" noise, is that not just added intake noise associated with installing CAI's in general? Are you hearing a bit more turbo or is it something else?
Hmmm that makes me regret ordering the intake a few days ago 😂 I'm hoping he perhaps forgot to remove the negative battery wire to force an ecu relearn or maybe there's something loose? Either way, once mine arrives I will be sure to keep this thread updated for anyone else who's interested on if it legitimately causes issues or not. Also just to mention that I will be installing mine on a 2018 Holden zb commodore that is technically the same car but may possible have a different tune (unlikely, but possible) 2l ltg petrol engine

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Also just to mention that I will be installing mine on a 2018 Holden zb commodore that is technically the same car but may possible have a different tune (unlikely, but possible) 2l ltg petrol engine
I know you guys have NZ/Australia specific suspension tuning, but to my knowledge the powertrains are identical. Should be apples to apples but who knows. I look forward to seeing how it turns out regardless.

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
I know you guys have NZ/Australia specific suspension tuning, but to my knowledge the powertrains are identical. Should be apples to apples but who knows. I look forward to seeing how it turns out regardless.
Bit of an update for the thread. No photos yet but I installed the k&n air intake on my 2018 zb commodore and also ran the PCV line into an oil catch can then back to the air intake port on the k&n pipe. Been running for close to two weeks, zero codes or issues. Torque feels about the same but it sure makes some nice noises! After idling in traffic yes it heats up but after travelling for a few mins it cools down very quickly so far I've noticed no loss of low end torque, high end seems to pull harder and break the tyres

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Not being sarcastic - some people want to hear turbo noise?
Yeah!

It's especially common in the rural area I grew up in. Instead of Mustangs or Camaros, most high school kids were buying diesel pickups with big turbos. With a tune, and maybe larger injectors and a lift pump, those trucks were faster than most cars on the road. And no truck was complete without a set of pillar gauges to show that boost.

I never went that route, but trucks are still the "hotrods" in my hometown. Hearing the blow-off valve in friend's rides would make me giggle like a schoolgirl. The louder the turbo sang, the cooler it was.

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
Not being sarcastic - some people want to hear turbo noise?
Also lets you actually hear the engine, some people prefer hearing induction noises instead of going for aftermarket exhausts and hearing drone

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Turbo charged vehicles naturally lean toward "quiet" due to the exhaust being cycled through the turbo.

The sound of the vehicle should suit the vehicle. I prefer a little bit of a Q-ship vibe with my Buick. Don't know how fast I am until I'm pulling away from you.

You guys have reminded me of what one of my high school buddies used to say (his after school job was at a gas station): "You never hear a Harley Davidson with a stock exhaust or a Camaro with a stock stereo."

Get your turbo buick badge right here!