Does the TourX have automatic high beams?

dazedandconfused

Carolina
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal TourX
I am a novice at this GM stuff and cant figure out how to turn them on. Please help!

Edit: 2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence trim with every package

Last edited:

PoliPino

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Preferred; 2016 Enclave (wife's)
Edit: I thought it did, but I don't actually see it on the Buick website, so now I don't know.

My car, a preferred with the Driver Confidence I and Sights and sounds packages, does NOT have auto high beams

Last edited:

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
No capability for auto dimming headlights or wipers.
Should have been included at some level, this is 2004 technology.

benkel579

Buick Newbie
Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
The instrument cluster on the 2018.0 models (models with the old UI) appears to have a cutout for an auto-dimming indicator light next to the fuel gauge, but otherwise the TourX doesn't have auto-dimming.

bespinct

Buick Ownership
TourX
No capability for auto dimming headlights or wipers.
Should have been included at some level, this is 2004 technology.
Aside from the silly autoparking featuers, those are the only two features I think are missing compared to the Ford Escape Titanium I traded in for the TourX. I wasn't looking for them in the Escape, but appreciated them anyway. I've only had the TourX for a week, I'm wondering whether I will actually miss them.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
This is a feature that is even on sub-$20000 cars in China.

Not to mention both Opel and Chinese Regals have this. :(

PoliPino

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Preferred; 2016 Enclave (wife's)
That seems like such an odd oversight. My '16 Malibu had auto high beams (Intellibeam as they called it), and its the same vehicle architecture as the Regal.
I expected to lose the option going from a fully loaded Malibu to the low/mid-level Buick, but I never imagined it wouldn't be included on the high end models

Edit: Just checked the Chevy website and Intellibeam is still included in the Driver Confidence II package... :unsure:

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
in the settings under vehicle

there is an option that says forward lighting, it then has 2 options for "corner and curve" or "adaptive forward lighting"

anyone try this?

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
in the settings under vehicle

there is an option that says forward lighting, it then has 2 options for "corner and curve" or "adaptive forward lighting"

anyone try this?
Tried both but neither uses the LED matrix which the car has.

In an Opel video it could be seen the LED highbeams shutting off individual units to dodge the oncoming car - after several flashes on a rural road I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on the Buick :/

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
The Insignia's matrix LED system is able to detect oncoming traffic and shape the light beam to prevent blinding other cars while keeping the high beam on other sections of the road. That system is not legal in the US, but GM could have easily implemented a basic auto high beam system.

Based on the neat expanding light pattern that it does when you turn on the high beams, the matrix beam functionality seems to be there.

GM did a lot of cost cutting on the Regal and did not include many features that the Opel has. I think they needed to hit a certain price point and with the expected low sales volumes of the Regal the economies of scale were not in their favor and many features had to be excluded.

The adaptive forward lighting only turns the lights left and right at slower speeds when turning.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
^^^ If it's a law thing then I can live with that

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
The adaptive forward lighting only turns the lights left and right at slower speeds when turning.
Yes.

Then the next paragraph in the manual states the following:

LED Headlamp System - This system automatically controls the LED headlamps light intensity and distribution based on the lighting condition, road type, and driving situation. The vehicle adapts the headlamps automatically to enable optimal lighting while driving.

Confusing? Think so, given that the wording seems to indicate it could possibly modulate the output from hi beam to dipped beam automatically, but that just doesn't happen.

Then you have this to decide on:
20190106_120139.jpg
Does enabling the ILD function include corner/curve lighting? Think so.
Does enabling corner/curve lighting disable the ILD function? Who knows.
Is the owners manual worthless? You decide.

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Yes.

Then the next paragraph in the manual states the following:

LED Headlamp System - This system automatically controls the LED headlamps light intensity and distribution based on the lighting condition, road type, and driving situation. The vehicle adapts the headlamps automatically to enable optimal lighting while driving.

Confusing? Think so, given that the wording seems to indicate it could possibly modulate the output from hi beam to dipped beam automatically, but that just doesn't happen.

Then you have this to decide on:
View attachment 14470
Does enabling the ILD function include corner/curve lighting? Think so.
Does enabling corner/curve lighting disable the ILD function? Who knows.
Is the owners manual worthless? You decide.
Where in the UI is this screen. I have the TourX Essence Model

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
The adaptive forward lighting is supposed to do everything in this video other than the matrix function.

I know mine does the corner lighting but I've never been able to perceive a change in the beam while driving. There's definitely no auto high beam. I've driven on a pitch dark road with no other traffic around and it will stay on low beam.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.