Does the Turbo model offer "Sport" mode?

jborchel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #3
Thank you. My alternate plan is to have a 3rd party alter the shift points in my Verano as I am not happy with the ECO setup that the engineers programmed into my 14 Verano.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Thank you. My alternate plan is to have a 3rd party alter the shift points in my Verano as I am not happy with the ECO setup that the engineers programmed into my 14 Verano.
Shift manually. The 6 speed transmission is brilliant in manual mode.

jborchel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #5
I do that now and would much prefer that the automatic transmission shift in the manner that I do when I use the manual. All I am trying to do is eliminate the very irritating vibrations that emanate forth from the engine when it is running at 1400 rpm in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. I don't care about gas savings. I just want the great ride that this car offers to be complete and not left to some idiot Buick marketing guy who thought they couldn't sell the car if it offered 2 mpg less fuel economy.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I bounce back and forth between auto and manual modes, depending on my mood, but probably spend 2/3rd of the time in auto mode.
I agree that sometimes the automatic is a little weird.
I don't notice any vibrations with mine, but when "aggressively" accelerating from a dead stop, the shifting from 1st, 2nd, 3rd seems off. Not sure if it's shift points or what? I'm thinking it has more to do with the torque load increase from the Turbo kicking in quicker/harder than under "normal" driving conditions. Nothing I think that is necessarily wrong, just something that is probably inherently normal for this car.

jborchel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #7
The turbo may behave differently than my non-turbo but try accelerating slightly after it has shifted from 5th to 4th or 6th to 5th and the revs are showing around 1400 - 1500 rpm. On my car the engine will vibrate just enough to rattle something in the inards of the interior. It happens all the time and is very irritating. It probably wouldn't seem so bad but everything else is so nice that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
I will play around with mine to see if I can replicate that. But in all honesty, I've never had any vibration in this car that was severe enough to cause rattles in the interior. Could a torque converter cause that? Maybe some play in the CV joints?

jborchel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #9
I've owned and driven a lot of cars over the past fifty years. I don't think there is anything that could cause it except and old engine design that doesn't like low revs. The engine in the Verano is known to be antiquated. I believe that's one reason the mileage is so poor compared to its competition.

Michael121

Buick Ownership
2015 Verano Turbo
I notice the SAME vibration/resonance at 1400 RPM in my 2015 Turbo (automatic) - not enough to rattle anything, but is audible and I can feel it in my seats (like one of those 1970s movies with "Sensurround" sound").

Also, for the past 6 months, when I come down to idle after driving, I hear a "humming" sound from the engine compartment - goes away when I accelerate. Not sure if it's the turbo whining slowly or what. I didn't notice it for the first 2 years I had the car. Anybody else hear this hum?

Michael

MJ's V

Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
In my 2013 Turbo, the three traction control modes have different shift points in the transmission. With traction control on, the car's shift points are short and as you go from TC off to TC and stabilitrak off the shift points get longer or the gears are held longer. That is pretty much the aka "Sport" and "Sport Plus" modes for this car. The car is quicker with TC on but faster with TC and stabilitrak off. TC off gives you the happy medium.

MJ's V

Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
I notice the SAME vibration/resonance at 1400 RPM in my 2015 Turbo (automatic) - not enough to rattle anything, but is audible and I can feel it in my seats (like one of those 1970s movies with "Sensurround" sound").

Also, for the past 6 months, when I come down to idle after driving, I hear a "humming" sound from the engine compartment - goes away when I accelerate. Not sure if it's the turbo whining slowly or what. I didn't notice it for the first 2 years I had the car. Anybody else hear this hum?

Michael
I get the occasional vibration and I feel it on the brake and gas pedals but I have not heard any humming.

jborchel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #14
I tried that TC and stabletrak off once before. I think it works as you describe but as I remember it wasn't enough and it did make the car seem sluggish. However, I will try it again.

Incidentally, in one of my quotes above my description of gear changes was reversed. The vibration caused by lugging at 1400 occurs when the tranny shifts up to the next gear in 4th, 5th, and 6th. The worst is when reaching around 50-55(I think) it shifts out of 5th to 6th.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
Hey guys, I must have got lucky or something but so far my 2013 Turbo Automatic with just over 35,000 miles has no drivetrain vibrations at any speed or gear. I have actually tried to replicate what you guys are talking about and have not been able to do it. Also, no humming that I can hear, but then again I have been accused of being half-deaf.

The only "annoying" thing I have noticed a couple of times is if when cruising at a relatively low speed.
Say 45 mph or less, and I step down fast and hard on the accelerator.
I will get what feels like some transmission slippage before it really engages and the car accelerates as it should.
And it's not Turbo lag, because the RPM's rev high the way you would expect, and then drop down a little as the trans. engages. Not a big deal, since I rarely drive the car like that, just something I noticed.

On a side note, I changed the oil in it this last weekend.
When I started it up, I heard the valves tapping for a good 15 seconds or so before the oil got pumped up to the top of the engine. I don't recall hearing it do that on prior oil changes, but maybe it did and I just didn't notice. Scared me a little for those 15 seconds.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
During my pre-purchase research, I read that both of the Verano's automatic transmissions (the 2.4L and 2L engines don't share) are designed to upshift as soon as possible for economy. On hills here, I often drop to fifth gear to keep the engine from lugging, which also minimizes unwanted vibrations.

The transmission's miserly aspirations run counter to my mileage experience but first-gen Veranos are heavy for their size (~3400 pounds), which accounts for much of MPG dearth. A heavy foot, especially on the turbo models, adds to the anti-frugality. My previous car, a Saturn Ion with the 2.4L, was ~2800 pounds.

The 2.4L is the more antiquated of the two first-gen engines. I had hoped the Verano would have launched in 2012 with the 2.5L as the base engine. If the hatchback came over now, IMO it should have the 1.6L turbo as the base with the current 2L turbo as the up-level option.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Hey guys, I must have got lucky or something but so far my 2013 Turbo Automatic with just over 35,000 miles has no drivetrain vibrations at any speed or gear. I have actually tried to replicate what you guys are talking about and have not been able to do it. Also, no humming that I can hear, but then again I have been accused of being half-deaf.

The only "annoying" thing I have noticed a couple of times is if when cruising at a relatively low speed.
Say 45 mph or less, and I step down fast and hard on the accelerator.
I will get what feels like some transmission slippage before it really engages and the car accelerates as it should.
And it's not Turbo lag, because the RPM's rev high the way you would expect, and then drop down a little as the trans. engages. Not a big deal, since I rarely drive the car like that, just something I noticed.

On a side note, I changed the oil in it this last weekend.
When I started it up, I heard the valves tapping for a good 15 seconds or so before the oil got pumped up to the top of the engine. I don't recall hearing it do that on prior oil changes, but maybe it did and I just didn't notice. Scared me a little for those 15 seconds.
I wonder if the oil change removed some material that prevented you from hearing the sound previously? I used to hear the valves on my previous car's 2.4L motor, especially in the fall or the winter but it never caused any damage while I owned it. So far, the Buick's been quiet at start up but I don't often leave my door open when I push the start button, especially not this time of year.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
I wonder if the oil change removed some material that prevented you from hearing the sound previously? I used to hear the valves on my previous car's 2.4L motor, especially in the fall or the winter but it never caused any damage while I owned it. So far, the Buick's been quiet at start up but I don't often leave my door open when I push the start button, especially not this time of year.
I never get any valve noise during a "normal" startup, even if the car has been sitting for a few days.
This time it was just due to the oil and filter change, which resulted in there being no oil in the top of the engine for that first startup. I have had valves tap a little on other cars with the first startup after an oil change, but it usually only lasts for 5 seconds or so. This just lasted a few seconds longer than what I expected.

The only thing different with this oil change, is that I switched from using an AcDelco filter to a NAPA Gold filter.
Maybe the NAPA Gold is a little more restrictive which caused a longer delay for the oil to get through the entire engine. I'm not worried about either way, since it went away and the engine is running quietly.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.