Door help 1999 Park Avenue

djcob

Buick Ownership
1999 Park Avenue
So I have a 1999 Park Avenue the only door that works is the passenger side door. We pulled the handle from the drivers side door and replaced it with an aftermarket and it still does not work. From what I can tell it seems it is not pushing the rod far enough down. After inspecting the old handle that was taken off I noticed nothing is wrong with it the plastic piece that connects to the rod is still in good shape. I can open the door from the inside fine just not the outside. Anyone have any suggestions?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The door rods or clips may not be correctly attached. Pulling the door panel and check all rods and clips which could be broken or loose, including the latch lock mechanism.

djcob

Buick Ownership
1999 Park Avenue
So went to a buddy who is a little handier than myself turns out the rod that opens the door with the outside handle was bent. Was able to straighten it out some and opens like a champ now to get the back doors fixed and will be in business.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Glad you got it fixed, for the rears you may want to try WD40 in the latch mechanism on the door and if the child door locks are not on.

djcob

Buick Ownership
1999 Park Avenue
I cant get the rear doors to open from inside or outside handles. Got to get my hands on a slim Jim

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
On other older ones, push button handle, spraying through the handle and working it got things moving, on yours ?. If can get the bottom of the back seat out you might be able to get the panel off, but slim Jim is a little easier to try first.

DieselDavy

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Once you get the new door handle installed and working (I've changed too many), how do you adjust the striker on the door frame? I know how to loosen it, but I can't seem find the 'sweet spot' where there is little resistance when opening like the other doors. This is on the driver's door and I'm sure there is some hinge wear, but so little compared to my other GMs that I can't feel it when trying to lift the door. I'm only sure that there is wear because of the extra effort to get the door to 'release' from the striker. (Yes, I have lubricated the parts associated with this function)
Thanks for any advice like procedures,
Dave

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.