Driver belt tensioner

luchito

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
My LeSabre serpentine belt was making a birp birp sound from time to time. After opening the hood it was hard to locate the cause. I pushed the belt and was a kind of loose, almost nothing but loose.

My first option was replacing the belt, which was not showing much deterioration but it had tens of thousands of running miles. It partially solved the problem. So I decided to replace the tensioner.

It is a Gates tensioner which comes with two metal elbows for the coolant.

My problem is to find the O-rings for the heater hoses. The heater hoses end with a kind of adapter which is connected to the tensioner. I have been looking for the size of those O-rings and can't find it everywhere. Even the service manual doesn't mention it.

I have found "kits" of these coolant O-rings online, but they also won't specify the sizes.

I check for the diameter inside the tensioner and is a little greater than 25mm. But I want to by the proper O-rings to avoid leaks.

Can someone give me a hand with this? If not AC Delco O-rings, then any brand as long is the correct diameter and thikness size.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Dorman or Rockauto carry both the inlet and outlet entire hose adaptors but no listing on the O-ring. It may be available at a Napa or GM dealer but more than likely you would need to bring it in and do a match.

luchito

Buick Ownership
Yup. I also found the end hose adapters.

It is kind of laughable not to have the description of the 0 rings "the easy way". Right now I'm looking for those "boxes" with all sizes of O rings.

The dealer will be another option, but I might have to prepare myself for prices like $4 each or similar.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
If not in bad of shape cracked or brittle and because of the tight fit with the hold down bolts you might be able to use them with some Permatex RTV on them if you can't find the O-rings as a option.

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
Unless you want to do this repair again very soon, do yourself a huge favor and go to the dealer and get the correct o-rings. The aftermarket ones leak, which could be due to slight under sizing, or second rate materials, or both. I paid close to $7 each, at the dealer, for my o-rings, but for the few dollars extra, I have a leak free cooing system.

luchito

Buick Ownership
I'm not in a hurry, but I went to the dealer for to buy them solely if they were in stock.

Sadly, the only service department which has one o-ring in stock is miles, but miles away from my place. The attendant, a nice guy, provided me the part number.

So, at home, searching here and there, the best deal was Rock Auto. $3 a piece.

The part number is AC Delco 24502375.

Thanks.

luchito

Buick Ownership
I would have just replaced the pulley.
I like smart people, I feel so dumb replacing the whole tensioner unit plus the headache of finding two ridiculous and expensive O-rings... all of this because the belt is kind of loose to make a birp sound. all the time.

Replacing the pulley could be the best advice... great input... wait... are you sure?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
If you did the elbows and replaced the tensioner it's prevent maintenance for the long term for the cost of the parts.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)
So this is a Series II 3800 with the plastic cooling elbows. Have they been replaced before? If not I'm actually surprised they've lasted this long! When I replaced them on a Series II car I used to have, I used Dorman Help! brand metal ones which include the o rings and are like $5 on the Dorman display at many auto parts stores. Might be easier and cheaper to just go and buy a pack of them. I would probably replace it all if you have the parts already, or in the interim you can remove the new pulley off the new assembly and put it on the car to curtail the noise until you figure out the o ring thing. The tensioner pulley is easier and cheaper to replace anyways and may just solve your problem.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
I think that the OP was looking for the heater hose O-rings as shown in post #8 in the link as item #9 & 10, not the coolant elbows?

luchito

Buick Ownership
That is correct, the heater hose O-rings is what I was looking for.

The belt tensioner I have received also comes with two metal -aluminum I guess- elbows. It's a Gates brand. A seller on eBay asked $40 for it, This task will cost me about $55 total, I Think the investment is worthy due to the vehicle is still behaving like a new car.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Doing it right the first time, all the parts are cheaper in one shot with not having to replace something later.

luchito

Buick Ownership
One of the engine holes for the elbows was dirty and the elbow came out with signs of leaking for a while. It is possible the leak evaporated with the heat of the motor.

The replacement has been successful, no more sound from the belt.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Good to hear and thanks for the follow up, happy motoring

Get your turbo buick badge right here!