Driver door module ? 2001 PA

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
2001 PA Ultra 111,000 miles. California car.

Driver door:
No lock control. No window control. No mirror control.

Removed door panel.

Getting steady battery voltage @ pin # 11 on 20 pin connector(C1) and pin A on 4 pin connector(C2) @Door module.

Im assuming this proves that I need to replace the module?
But I have questions:

Some with this problem have reported that replacing module didnt correct problem.

Can there be something else, beyond the module?

If it is the module, can the module be repaired?
If I need to buy, the best place to buy one?

It appears that moisture does get into window compartment(rust). I wonder if dialectric grease, or some such, in the connectors could help prevent failure?

Id love to find where the subject of windows for this car has been talked about in depth. They are problematic.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
Im hoping the lack of response means that this is not a common failure. That would be good news.

Since first posting this, I have obtained a replacement "used passenger door module". I installed the module and something interesting happened: With the original module I lost control of the driver door only(windows, locks, mirrors). After I installed the replacement module, no door would work. No window control, no door locks, no mirror control. I removed the replacement and reinstalled the original, and once again I have control over all doors except the driver door. The replacement module has the same model number as the original. Does this mean the module needs to be programmed(what Im thinking).

I want to remedy this situation DIY, but I also want to learn how this system operates, and hence know a little more about my car. I did check for voltages inputs and grounds and they are present. Does anyone know anything about this? Or can you point me to a good source.

Thanks.

Spriteman

Central Florida
Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue - Base - 103K Miles
You mentioned that the driver door was having a problem but then you say that you bought a passenger door module - what was the part number of the part you bought?

I'm pretty sure that the two modules are not interchangeable.

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
Contacted the part supplier waiting to see if they send another module.
Meanwhile I'm going over(and over)the schematics in the factory manual. One post I read suggested that a malfunctioning window switch complex could cause loss of control
in widows, locks and mirrors. Looking at the schematic, I can see that's possible. In the pinout for the window switch, there is no reference to the window. Geez. Instead there are pinouts for seats, locks, body control voltage(12v), and a serial data signal.
My former cars have been old school. (Hots and grounds). This is different.
But I get it. I've studied a bit about digital circuits etc . And I understand its a new day.
Having said that , I'm not ashamed to say that I could use a little help. I'm not just trying to fix this problem , I need to understand this.
Anyone know of inexpensive, or alternatives to the Tech 2?(reliable)Also, good books for the layman.
Thanks Ladies and Gents.

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
I pulled the wiring harness out, did continuity checks(Found no problems). I sprayed the connecters with electrical cleaner.
I pulled and reseated fuses. The following day the windows, door locks, and mirrors were all working flawlessly. That was about 10 days ago, and all still work. Im not sure if what I did fixed it, or if its an intermittent problem. Im telling myself if anything ,I did, fixed it, it would more likely be the electrical cleaner. But I have no way to verify. There is evidence of mositure inside the door.

Happy motoring everyone.

slantsix

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My problem was sudden loss of ALL DRIVER DOOR SWITCH functions, including door locks and trunk release. Functions at ALL other doors were fine. My advice for a free, quick test: Find ANYONE with the same or similar model car with the same driver door SWITCH module, and ask to temporarily swap it out. My mom's 2003 (or so) LeSabre switch matched mine, a 2000 LeSabre. The swap fixed the problem. Both Amazon and e-bay have replacements. I got mine for $35.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.