Driver Unknown / Electrical Issue

FiveNineMike

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Year: 2000
Miles: 511,000

Got an odd electrical issue with my car. About a week ago I was driving and the radio randomly would shut off with the lock mode turning on, the fuel gauge would drop to zero and the airbag light and service engine light turned on. About 30 seconds later, everything would resume to normal then the issue would repeat itself. I drove myself home, restarted the car and didn't have any issues beyond that.

Today after filling up my gas tank, my key fob wasn't working. I manually unlock the door and try to unlock the car with the button inside, nothing. Stick the key in the ignition, it says 'unknown driver'. When I try to start the car, i'd hear a click coming from behind me. Trunk release didn't work, manually opened with the key to grab my cables because someone was going to try to jump start me. About 30 seconds later before he could get his rig up, the doors unlocked and the trunk (that I had shut after getting the cables) opened up. The car started just fine without issue at this point.

My battery terminals have light corrosion, so i'll be giving them a cleaning. This type of issue is very foreign to me, is there something else I should be looking into that might need to be addressed possibly? Just trying to get ahead of this before it gets worse and leaves me stranded somewhere.

FiveNineMike

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Bump: Battery was bad so replaced it but the issue persists.

Cluster currently has no working fuel level and service vehicle soon with no codes and the airbag light. Radio is currently locked as well. Able to start the car though but the fob didn't work until I manually opened and shut the trunk hard enough to shake the car. Bad ground possibly?

Bonze72

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Bump: Battery was bad so replaced it but the issue persists.

Cluster currently has no working fuel level and service vehicle soon with no codes and the airbag light. Radio is currently locked as well. Able to start the car though but the fob didn't work until I manually opened and shut the trunk hard enough to shake the car. Bad ground possibly?
I just dealt with this issue there’s a module that goes bad in the dash I had this demon at my shop for a week I’ll try to find out the name of it

Calvin

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verona
I just dealt with this issue there’s a module that goes bad in the dash I had this demon at my shop for a week I’ll try to find out the name of it

Did u every find out the module

Bonze72

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Did u every find out the module
Ok this may sound silly but I got in touch with the tech at the local dealer that I was trying to help figure it out they unplugged my the radio and it has never did it again this car was doing the exact same thing as you describe I tried a new battery cleaned all the grounds even made another body ground from the battery just to be safe still problem always came back so I’d give that a try and see what happens for a few days

FiveNineMike

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Update: I replaced the battery due to it being bad apparently. Issue came back shortly after so my buddy and I cleaned the terminals which did have the light corrosion using the hot coffee trick. No issues for a week, the issues returned in varying order. However...

I had a new warning, saying "THEFT ATTEMPT DETECTED", which makes me suspect that its probably an issue with the key. I ordered two new keys through Amazon and will program to see if that resolves the issue. Given the vehicles age, it makes me wonder if the chip is going bad in the key I have currently.

Any other suggestions with this update are welcome though.

FiveNineMike

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Alternator tested as bad so i'll be replacing that later this evening. New keys are on the way in the mail. If all else fails, guess i'll need to do a bypass.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!