Drivers Door Rust?! :(

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
So with recent snow and salt on michigan roads, i have noticed bubbling paint on the bottom/corner edge of my drivers door. Very minor and is not noticable from a distance but up close it's ugly lol. I do wash my car about every two weeks to keep road grime and salt off the body but some days the weather doesn't allow for it. I also have a small dime sized spot of bubbling paint on the rear driver's side quarter panel where the bumper cover mates to the body. Given the car is 14 years old and was originally from ohio the car is about 98% rust free. Rust is inevitable on any car in the mitten state. Any suggestions on how to keep the oxidation at bay?? Atm i don't have any pics to upload but any help would be appreciated!

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Oh no! Again, my worst nightmare too. Some degree of rust is always developing on cars. My other car it's the brake rotors, don't drive it that much, never in winter.

On our '16 it has a protected rocker panel finish, only good for so much, doors- could be trouble. Worst scenario might be to spray bottom of doors and rockers with rust proof after cleaning rust. Do a straight taped off line along entire bottom edge. Respraying with color matching paint. Matching aerosols out there, tape that facet off also from existing (may not exactly match).

When I had my '69 road runner, typical winter daily driver...... Yup, had the rear 1/4's/rockers start to go, now what? Did my own patch'n repair and then striped the entire very low edges with semi-gloss black. Worked for me with hood blackout and deck spoiler (well it was 1969 lmao). See if I can locate similiarities: You do know it will all get much worse before it gets better? 1364313646

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
To quote Neil Young "Rust never sleeps" LOL, those surface paint bubbles are just the beginning of a rust issue that is somewhat bigger underneath. Good, better, best is really something that the owner needs to determine, their skill set and budget. I've seen nail polish clear coat used on pin holes, a roller and brush on a complete car, full rust removal, repair and professional color match. It's what the owner wants and feel the worth of the vehicle is to them.

Clear coat or a spay rust converter may be a quick temporary fix and could slow it down a little at best. If you see it on the outside of the doors it may be worth while to pop off the door panels and take a look inside at the bottom if more is present and make sure that the drains are clean. There's a lot of repair methods on the net so best bet is to find something that will work for you.

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
I'll have to explore my options and also to note i wipe down the bottoms of all 4 doors and dry them off around the drain holes to prevent further corrosion. 3 out of the 4 doors are in great shape! It's just odd that only one door has rust.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It doesn't take much in the rust salt states to get going, hope you find a solution that fits your needs.

Pops2010

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
I had an 03 Chevy Silverado that rusted from just sitting in my driveway for 3 months. It got driven until January and then I didn’t drive it until April and it rusted pretty bad.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.