Drivers Door Sticks

RevMac777

Thread starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 Buick Park Avenue Base with 195,000 miles. Runs great but I’m having a problem with the drivers door. Door opens but sticks when I pull on the outside door Handel. You have to give it a pull to open. I change the door striker but it still sticks. It opens fine from the door Handel inside. Any help on what needs fixed is appreciated.

George R.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Is there any “play” in the door hinges? In other words, any excessive wear that may be a factor in this issue. I had this on a Chevrolet at one time but have not experienced this on a Buick.

bigsky

5.7L LT1 Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
97 PA (salvage 185k), 99 PA (sold 140k-now 150k), 2K PA (sold 120k-now 170k), 03 PAU 162k, 04 PAU
Any help on what needs fixed is appreciated.

George R.
It could be the rubber strip that is on the back end of the window/door...the part that faces the back of the car. This rubber seal binds against the "black vertical metal piece" on the outside back door.

To check, close the front door slowly while holding up the outside handle. Watch as the rubber strip contacts the back door.

As mentioned, the door may be sagging due to wear, or for the more adventurous one can work on adjusting the door. If the back door could move back a bit...but I seem to remember that drilling an adjustment slot would be needed.

The easiest thing to do is just trim the rubber piece or even just part of the rubber piece. This can be done without removing the rubber from the door. It may not look that great. The rubber is in a loop; take a look on how it may be trimmed. I trimmed part of the rubber on my driver door with a scissors, and while it looks kind of jagged on the edges, I really don't notice it. AND...no more binding when opening the door. No water coming inside either.

If this is the issue, you would not notice the binding as much when opening the door from the inside.

Thread starter #7
It could be the rubber strip that is on the back end of the window/door...the part that faces the back of the car. This rubber seal binds against the "black vertical metal piece" on the outside back door.

To check, close the front door slowly while holding up the outside handle. Watch as the rubber strip contacts the back door.

As mentioned, the door may be sagging due to wear, or for the more adventurous one can work on adjusting the door. If the back door could move back a bit...but I seem to remember that drilling an adjustment slot would be needed.

The easiest thing to do is just trim the rubber piece or even just part of the rubber piece. This can be done without removing the rubber from the door. It may not look that great. The rubber is in a loop; take a look on how it may be trimmed. I trimmed part of the rubber on my driver door with a scissors, and while it looks kind of jagged on the edges, I really don't notice it. AND...no more binding when opening the door. No water coming inside either.

If this is the issue, you would not notice the binding as much when opening the door from the inside.
Thank you! I just trimmed the rubber and the door is working great. My wife strained her wrist on the door and she can easily open it now. I was thinking major door latch repair but the trim did the job. Thanks again!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.