Driver's is door is locked, won't open

Canada2

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Sorry I had this posted in another thread but will post it in here because this is a serious issue and this does affect all Buicks after 2002

Unfortunately it's not a problem in the DIC it's in the actuators according to a good source the actuators are only good for 77,000 cycles then they fail sometimes less than 77,000 cycles. Buick has known about this problem since 2003 and it affects all Buicks. To me this is a very serious safety issues. If in an accident with serious injuries or a fire was to happen and you can not get out of your vehicle your done. I have filed a complaint with the Canadian Safety Board that this should be a recall. and would advise all Buick owners in the United States to do the same. This issue affects all four doors, currently I have two doors that won't open on my Buick Allure, the same model as the Buick LaCrosse in the US. To fix all four doors will run you around a thousand dollars, Sorry for giving you the bad news.

Rossland

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse
I also had a failure of a door lock, but it was a different problem. The door would not unlock with the button on the outside door handle. I could unlock it with the key, and could always unlock it from inside. The dealer replaced the outside button under warranty.

08lacrosse

Buick Ownership
08 lacrosse
Hello BuickLacrosse,

We are terribly sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with the door of your Buick, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this concern has caused you. We understand that you are currently seeking advice from other users on the forum, however please know that our team would love the opportunity to look into these concerns further and help determine your best course of action moving forward. If this is something that would interest you, feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, vehicle mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership so that we can proceed. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Steven A.
Buick Customer Care
Steven A at Buick customer care. I am inquiring to see if you can assist me. I have a 2008 Lacrosse and had the door actuator fail on the drivers door several years ago. I repaired this and then about two years ago, the front passenger actuator began to fail. Unfortunately I did not repair it when I could open the door and am unable to open that door. I am hesitant to use the car in case the drivers door fails or in an accident on that side and can’t exit the car. This is a safety issue. Any help from Buick. Tim

Clydeman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
A couple pics. If your door won't open but you can get the panel partially off then you can reach in and unlock by moving the small lever up that is attached to the small rod which goes to the spot where the key goes into the door. In the first picture you can see the small rod that attaches at the top with a blue clip. That is the rod and lever that must be moved up to unlock the door. The rod which is in the yellow clip comes from the outer door handle. The cable which attaches to the latch with the blue collar comes from the inside door handle. The other rod with the four bends at the bottom is the door lock button. I'm not good at typing but I think if someone looks at the pics it becomes clear how this thing works.

Great job with the photos, having the same problem with my 07 Lacrosse

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Some great info here, again something I never gave a second thought about. The driver side lock should open with key, maybe it's a remote issue in some instances?

Last edited:

buicker

Buick Newbie
montreal
Buick Ownership
Buick regal
It just hapened to me tonight driver door does not open.allure 2008 110,000 km. Had to change right rear door actuator last year it would lock and unlock by hand but not automatically. Will have to check it this week-end.

oldschool

Barrie, Ont
Buick Ownership
'03 Buick LeSabre, '07 Allure CXL
These must be the worst door latches ever designed for a car. Once again I can't get the drivers door open from the inside. Will try lubricating the latch tonight when I get home but will probably have to replace it again. For the third time. Will never buy a GM again.

beaverplt

Buick Newbie
Sussex, Wi
Buick Ownership
2005 Lacrosse
Hello BuickLacrosse,

We are terribly sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with the door of your Buick, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this concern has caused you. We understand that you are currently seeking advice from other users on the forum, however please know that our team would love the opportunity to look into these concerns further and help determine your best course of action moving forward. If this is something that would interest you, feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, vehicle mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership so that we can proceed. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Steven A.
Buick Customer Care
Steven, I know this is an older post, but I have the same problem. My driver's door will not open from inside or out. Have you come up with a solution? My Lacrosse is a 2005 CXL

beer4meok

Buick Ownership
Buick
After reading all of the above, I have the same problem with an 09 Allure, rear drivers door and front passenger door ,
Bought my latches from Rock auto online,
This should be a recall. What a pain in the butt. never owned a car that the doors would not open this must be a safety concern

Fortunately both doors opened when my mechanic went to replace them (summer 2018)
hopefully I will not have problems with the drivers door.(touch wood )

Murderous_Kidneys

Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne
I accidentally ripped our drivers side door handle off this past winter. My husband tried to replace it and it locked up. Couldn’t open it from the outside or inside. We took it to the mechanic last Tuesday and got a call a week later that it was fixed. We got to a restaurant and my husband couldn’t get the driver door open...back to the mechanic it went.

Jesster925

Buick Ownership
2007 LaCrosse
Hi all, not a member as I do not own a Buick. My granddaughter does and the issue I am having is with the right/ passenger side. Some good advice and Oldschool did an awesome job with the pictures. Unfortunately there is no key o the passengers side so the lever is not there. I have been trying to get the darn door open for hours. Would rather not take it to the dealer so...... any one know how to get the front passengers side open. I have got the panel back far enough where I can get my hand on the lock mechanism but don't know what to push or pull to get it to open. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Jesster925

Buick Ownership
2007 LaCrosse
Hi all, not a member as I do not own a Buick. My granddaughter does and the issue I am having is with the right/ passenger side. Some good advice and Oldschool did an awesome job with the pictures. Unfortunately there is no key o the passengers side so the lever is not there. I have been trying to get the darn door open for hours. Would rather not take it to the dealer so...... any one know how to get the front passengers side open. I have got the panel back far enough where I can get my hand on the lock mechanism but don't know what to push or pull to get it to open. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

oldschool

Barrie, Ont
Buick Ownership
'03 Buick LeSabre, '07 Allure CXL
I'll add a bit more info to this topic.
For a while I would have trouble getting the front right side door open. I discovered if I give it two firm taps with my fist next to the latch I would hear something in the latch click and then the door would open. So I took it apart and there is a mechanism that was seizing up. A little lubrication and it's been good since.
This winter one day I got to work and the drivers door would not open from the inside. I believe this was caused by the exterior handle not being in the faired position. A liberal spray with the tiny red straw from a can of WD-40 or something similiar at the front of the handle where it pivots helped to get the handle to return to it's normal resting position. Since I've lubed the other handles as well.
Hope this helps. These are high maintenance latches to say the least.