Driving away without key fob

Black8

Western Mass.
Buick Ownership
07 Buick Lucerne CXS
I normally drive myself to my carpool lot. This past week my wife wanted the car, so she came with me. I got out of the Lacrosse, got into the other vehicle and drove away. Of course, very shortly, the Lacrosse decided to start flashing warnings on the DIC that the remote was not detected. I received a phone call and brought the key fob back.

Question: Does anyone know for certain how the Lacrosse would have behaved if I had not returned?

1.) Continue running until shut off.

2.) Unceremoniously shut itself off after a pre-determined time.

3.) something else.

The two different reps I spoke with via phone at GM customer care recently have been ZERO help to me on both occasions. so I'm looking for some assistance here. I checked the manual and did not find an answer there.

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
I normally drive myself to my carpool lot. This past week my wife wanted the car, so she came with me. I got out of the Lacrosse, got into the other vehicle and drove away. Of course, very shortly, the Lacrosse decided to start flashing warnings on the DIC that the remote was not detected. I received a phone call and brought the key fob back.

Question: Does anyone know for certain how the Lacrosse would have behaved if I had not returned?

3.) something else.

The two different reps I spoke with via phone at GM customer care recently have been ZERO help to me on both occasions. so I'm looking for some assistance here. I checked the manual and did not find an answer there.

I think it will go until it gets shut off. I tried it a month or so ago out west. ...Drove about a 1/2 mile to the post office and back. There were gremlins a foot though when I tied to lock it from the condo window with the fob. The nav display stayed lit no matter a lock/unlock/lock procedure. I went down and had to start the car and shut it off before it came to it's senses.

Another little foible that sometimes mixes up the brain is when one remote is left in the car. I get the 3 horn chirp, but it sometimes does not know how to dicpher it when it comes to locking/unlocking. We always take the spare fob when traveling. Used to be in a suitcase...now we have both out of the car when we exit it.

Bigdog9586

Buick Ownership
Buick
On the Volt it keeps going till shut off then you are out of luck. Lots on there have complained that it could be stolen if someone drives it away. The other arguement is what would happen if it shutdown in the middle of traffic. You could be hit, hurt, or worse. So I'm guessing the Buick operates the same.

duck

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2010 lacrosse after I first got it my brother came over and I said take it for a ride and see how you like it was running when he left he said he went
about 10 miles but I had the FOB in my pocket when he left car did not shut
off or anything?

H_Charles

Buick Ownership
2011 LaCrosse CXS, 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is, 2011 Acura MDX
Car won't turn off for safety/liability reasons, until the start/stop button is pressed.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
It is #1 and will always be #1. There is no way any company would accept liability for another option.

I'm surprised you were able to drive away. Whenever we've done similar the warning goes off before the wife can get 5 feet from the car.

This is why an extra FOB "without a battery" is hidden inside our car.
ANYTHING happens to your FOB when on a trip your toast. Search the forum for the lengthly prior discussion.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
it won't shut off - when you press the start button it will ask you if you are sure since it won't detect the fob

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
It is #1 and will always be #1. There is no way any company would accept liability for another option.

I'm surprised you were able to drive away. Whenever we've done similar the warning goes off before the wife can get 5 feet from the car.

ANYTHING happens to your FOB when on a trip your toast. Search the forum for the lengthly prior discussion.

My info center did tell me right away what was going on....I just wanted to see if it would shut down on it's own.

Excellent idea about removing the battery! I need to write that down. In fact, we may have done that last year...and I already forgot. One thing about getting older: Everything can be new again ;) ... not always a good thing!

Thanks for the tip.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD

I should probably pull the battery out of my hidden spare. It would be a shame if it corroded in there. I've checked it each 6 months since putting it in there and it seems fine but I probably should remove the battery.

I left it in knowing how terrible my wife is at gadgets and wanted to make it easy for her in a mini crisis :)

backupkey5.jpg

Black8

Western Mass.
Buick Ownership
07 Buick Lucerne CXS
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I like the aluminum foil and the spare FOB w/ separate battery options for emergencies.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
the FOB will still start the car without a battery when placed in the special center console location. Since we have both Onstar and the smart phone app, we wouldn't need the FOB to be able to open the door so I don't even keep a separate battery in the car. Just a 'dead' FOB.

verano4u

Buick Ownership
2019 Sportback
the FOB will still start the car without a battery when placed in the special center console location. Since we have both Onstar and the smart phone app, we wouldn't need the FOB to be able to open the door so I don't even keep a separate battery in the car. Just a 'dead' FOB.

A dead car battery will make it a touch more difficult to get in your car with this formula.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
If that's a real concern for you just move the FOB outside the car in one of those magnetic boxes.

buick26

A Regular
South Central PA
Buick Ownership
Buick Lacrosse CXS 2010
i drove away w/ o my fob too. car will not shut off. you will be alerted that key is not detected. if you shut the car off w/o the fob, you will get another alert. you only have a short amount of time to restart the car w/o the fob. trust me, i learned the hard way

Suej911

Buick Ownership
Encore

3.) something else.

Suej911

Buick Ownership
Encore

3.) something else.

We accidentally drove away without the fob today. we Did not receive any messages. When we shut the car off at our destination then it wouldn’t start and we realized we didn’t have a fob. That was ten kilometres away.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It could have been something worse that was forgotten
original-14524-1399310456-15.jpg

This is the Lacrosse forum so you may want to check the Encore or even post on that forum.

G-175356

We have 2016 Buick LaCrosse. Started it up in our drive to head out for a drive , remembered our picnic lunch was in the house, Husband left car running for me with AC going, and headed into house to get lunches. Quickly came back into car and backed it out starting our Sunday road trip. Got to our picnic destination 70 miles away and turned the car off. He went to lock it and realized he didn’t have car keys( key fob) . We could not start the car. We were stranded 70 miles from home. AAA said our only option was to get a tow....$340 and would only take one of us in the truck. Onstar said they could not help start our car. It was Sunday....so no dealers open. No rental cars near. Finally contacted a taxi service that would drive us home to get keys and then return to get our car then return home again!, ugh!, don’t lose track of your car keys, even when car is running fine..no warnings!!!!!!!!! My gas warning came on in my Kia Sportage and it was a big orange gasoline pump, warning me!!! Then pinging and blinking! No warning in my Buick telling me I won’t be able to start my car if I turn it off because the keys were 70 miles away?...... ridiculous!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!