Driving away without key fob

Suej911

Buick Ownership
Encore
We had same, luckily only ten km from home so had a friend bring spare key. I can’t figure out why so many feature, horn honking, cant lock door when you leave the kys inside but nothing for driving away without them!

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
We have 2016 Buick LaCrosse. Started it up in our drive to head out for a drive , remembered our picnic lunch was in the house, Husband left car running for me with AC going, and headed into house to get lunches. Quickly came back into car and backed it out starting our Sunday road trip. Got to our picnic destination 70 miles away and turned the car off. He went to lock it and realized he didn’t have car keys( key fob) . We could not start the car. We were stranded 70 miles from home. AAA said our only option was to get a tow....$340 and would only take one of us in the truck. Onstar said they could not help start our car. It was Sunday....so no dealers open. No rental cars near. Finally contacted a taxi service that would drive us home to get keys and then return to get our car then return home again!, ugh!, don’t lose track of your car keys, even when car is running fine..no warnings!!!!!!!!! My gas warning came on in my Kia Sportage and it was a big orange gasoline pump, warning me!!! Then pinging and blinking! No warning in my Buick telling me I won’t be able to start my car if I turn it off because the keys were 70 miles away?...... ridiculous!
If you turn it off without the fob present then it will give you a warning and ask if you still want to turn off the car.

ebartlet123

Buick Ownership
2018 Enclave
Almost exactly the same thing happened to us. Cleaned the car out because it was packed with teenagers. Took the wife's purse in the house after the car was running. Drove 60 miles into a very remote part of the state and shut the car off. Did not know we were missing the Fob until we wanted to lock the doors. No cell signal on our phones but managed to find another tourist that had 1 bar on their phone. Had to get a friend to pick me up and drive me back home to get the fob.

NO WARNING from the vehicle to let me know I didn't have the FOB. How about a warning when you push the stop button with a couple of confirmations prior to shutting down the cars. Or a warning light on the dash that will not go out until a fob is in the vehicle. Called Onstar and they would not help.

FD611V

A spot somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
Reading all these stories on driving a Lacrosse without the FOB, concerns me driving the 2006 Lacrosse without the FOB. My wife is the main driver of the '06 Lacrosse. She has the FOB and key in her purse. I have the other key to the Lacrosse....without the FOB. When we bought the car new I didn't won't the FOB and key in my pocket... just removed the key and attached it to the key ring that has the Tahoe and 1933 Pontiac keys. NOTE: I have driven the Lacrosse several hundred times and few times 50 miles or more to another town without the FOB in the car. And not one time has the Lacrosse shut down or started up. So, this matter the FOB has to be in the car at all times when it is driven pertains to the later Lacrosse models.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This thread got me thinking about doing something to avoid the problem. Not just the problem of driving off without the key-fob, but the problem of locking yourself out of the car.

The idea of hiding a key inside the car is ridiculous. That won't get you into a locked car. The idea of hiding a fob (with a battery) somewhere outside the car is no good either. Anyone can gain entry to your car that way by simply pressing the door handle buttons. The only possible solution is to hide a dead key-fob somewhere on the exterior. You'd be able to use the key in the driver's door key slot to unlock the door. Once inside, you're supposedly able to start the car, even with a dead key-fob by placing it in the appropriate console slot.

So, bright and early this morning I thought I'd give it a try and take the process through a dry run. I removed the battery from my spare fob and found a nice, safe place to hide it under the car. After retrieving it, I unlocked the driver's side door with the metal key wondering if the car would actually start with a dead fob in the appropriate slot. I didn't get a chance to find out.

After a few warning chirps, the alarm went into full bore horn blasting. All I could do was run and grab the live fob to kill the alarm. I'm sure my neighbors are all thrilled with my little experiment.

So the question is... if you're able to get the dead-fob into the dead-fob slot and start the car, does the alarm stop???

FD611V

A spot somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
From all reports here regarding this matter....starting the Lacrosse without a active Key-FOB in hand. It appears this matter (problem) depends on what model years of Lacrosse's. I would guess it pertains to GM models from 2009-2021 years and is a security issue built into the electrical system. Those owner's here that have these models years should read their owner's manual, as GM should explain in detail on "what if" and "what not" to make sure the key-FOB is always carried by the driver.

This key-FOB all started many years ago as a convenience item on vehicles. A added option for the owner's to use in opening and locking car doors. And when GM came with the "remote start" feature, that was somewhat a "fun" thing for some to show-off that one could start their car without being in the vehicle. I would all this is now something to do with "security" for insurance companies to add to their insurance policies.

Last edited:

Skregal1

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
i can confirm that using a dead Fob key to open the door on a 2015 will make the alarm
go off. Always keep a spare battery in the glove box. Hopefully you can get it changed in the Fob and shut off the alarm before someone calls the police. I never liked the push start system.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
i can confirm that using a dead Fob key to open the door on a 2015 will make the alarm
go off. Always keep a spare battery in the glove box. Hopefully you can get it changed in the Fob and shut off the alarm before someone calls the police. I never liked the push start system.
But does the alarm turn off when you start it with the dead fob?

Skregal1

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
But does the alarm turn off when you start it with the dead fob?
You can’t start the car with a dead Fob if it has push to start. The car needs to read a live fob inside the car. So you can’t shut off the alarm. You can open the door using the pop out key on the side of the fob. The alarm will eventually shut off by itself. I can’t understand why this system is designed this way.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
You can’t start the car with a dead Fob if it has push to start. The car needs to read a live fob inside the car. So you can’t shut off the alarm. You can open the door using the pop out key on the side of the fob. The alarm will eventually shut off by itself. I can’t understand why this system is designed this way.
You are incorrect, the fob will work even without a battery if you put it in the slot beneath the cupholder. You an check your manual to make sure the 2015 has in the same location as my 2010.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Maybe your Buick won't start with a dead key-fob. Mine (2015) will.
I have yet to discover if the alarm turns off. My neighbors are in no hurry for further research.

Skregal1

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
Ha Ha I didn't get a chance to read the manual when I was running around trying unsuccessfully to get the alarm to go off, but
I looked it up now, and it says it will start with a "low" fob battery if you put the fob in that slot. So I know next time. I still don't understand the point of the alarm going off when you use the actual KEY in the door. Of course those new designed pop out keys on these fobs are junk, which is probably why. My son lost his keys for his 2014 Malibu (same style fob, but the ignition also uses the key, no push start). I just ordered one off the internet and the vendor cut the key using a picture I sent him of the spare key. Now how secure is that?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!