Driving Range on your Buick Century

century101

Buick Ownership
century 2001
Hi everyone! New to the forum. I'm considering buying a 2001 Century as my daily driver, but i'm wondering what the driving range is like. I see that it has a 17.5 gallon fuel tank, so how many miles can i expect out of a full tank of gas? How many much driving range do you guys get? Any insight on this would be great! Thanks

hitshane

Buick Newbie
Saint Petersburg, FL
Buick Ownership
2005 Century Custom
A quick Google search returned

20 city / 29 highway, 17.5gal tank...

350 city / 507.5 highway

Probably somewhere between 300 and 400 miles with properly inflated tires and no engine problems.

Just remember you're getting into a 20 year old vehicle it's going to need gaskets, hoses, vacuum lines, filters, tires, brakes. It probably needs a coolant flush and a oil change. The catalytic converter is most likely shot. The fuel pressure regulator is about to go. The thermal bypass pipe is probably rusting through. The air conditioner is going to need a resistor pack. The power windows are going to stop working if they haven't already. The speakers are probably dry-rotted and the stereo most likely doesn't work.

Unscrew the oil fill cap off the engine and the radiator cap before you buy it. Make sure there's no white looking goop on the oil cap and make sure there's no oil looking goop in the radiator cap or that means it needs a new intake manifold gasket and that job costs almost $1,000.

Now it's a pressure system so once you remove the radiator cap you're going to have to find the coolant bleeder it's a little screw, then you're going to have to run the motor and open the bleeder up carefully to let the bubbles out. Once the engine gets up to temp you close it off when water starts coming through and the bubbles stop or you're going to have overheating issues.

The relay boxes in these cars if you live in a hot area the relays tend to separate from the plastic inside the box and the first issues you normally get is the cooling fans not turning on and engine overheat problems. Mine was like this so I would have to drive with the AC on all the time because having the air conditioning on forced the fans to turn on because they wouldn't do it by themselves.

I'm not trying to discourage you I'm just telling you what you have to look forward to so unless you're buying this from Grandma and it only has 20000 miles on it then you need to be ready to take care of it. Now if you go through and replace all the hoses and vacuum lines and fuel pressure regulator and all of the various filters all over the engine and give it some fresh coolant after draining all the twenty-year-old stuff out of it then it will probably be a good car.

I would also like to add that for about $3,500 you could find a 10 year old Corolla that gets double the gas mileage and is a lot cheaper to repair.

I currently have a 2000 Buick Regal LS in my driveway as a backup vehicle for my wife and I when we are servicing our other vehicles. I had a 2005 Buick Century that I completely fixed up which of course someone hit me in an accident and totaled it right when I got it to tip top shape.

century101

Buick Ownership
century 2001
Wow. Thankyou for the detailed reply. I am aware of the intake manifold issue. The particular vehicle I'm looking at is a 2001 with 124000 miles on it and comes with 6 months warranty. The exterior and interior is in excellent shape (from the photos I've seen). I am going to test drive it this saturday and I will make sure to look at oil cap and radiator cap for any signs of contamination. I drive 97 miles a day to work, so I'm looking for something comtorbale on the highways, thats why I'm considering this buick. Thanks again!!

ceTNury

Buick Ownership
2003 century
The relay boxes in these cars if you live in a hot area the relays tend to separate from the plastic inside the box and the first issues you normally get is the cooling fans not turning on and engine overheat problems. Mine was like this so I would have to drive with the AC on all the time because having the air conditioning on forced the fans to turn on because they wouldn't do it by themselves.
I've been going crazy trying to chase down this fan issue for a couple years. If it's the relay box I owe you a beer.

mabmac20

Buick Ownership
2002 Century
i dont know if anyone else has this problem, but my fuel reserve light comes on when i have about 3-4 gallons left. but if it seems like youre running out of gas quickly, you still have about 100-120 miles left

ledzilla

Buick Ownership
2001 Century Custom
I can confirm the range. When my 01 is in proper running condition, I can go at least 500 miles for straight highway driving with the cruise set to 65mph. When I was doing a lot of mixed driving, predominantly city, I was getting about 300 miles per tank. These days with a bit of a mix I'm getting something like 350-400 commuting with my 30-mile trip to work, about 25 of it highway if I take it easy on the car.

And yeah, bleeding air out of the cooling system is probably the biggest PITA on these cars, especially if you have a coolant leak like I do. But, with 212K on the clock, it's still running great even though the rockers have almost rusted away. Mine has been mostly rebuilt over the last five years with new emissions, completely new brakes (entire system between rusted lines, maintenance, and things I just do anyway), new suspension, most of the ignition system replaced (chasing down a misfire erroneously reported by a bad fuel tank pressure sensor).

They're pretty decent cars if you happen to like them or getting a good deal on one. Kind of hard to recommend getting one due to their age, though.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.