• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

DSP Setup without CD Player?

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
I‘m looking at buying a DSP that requires a CD player for setup. Anyone know if I can rip the CD to high res flat and play from a flash drive? Surely these manufacturers know that many people only have digital media head units?

jclin4

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
Do you mean FLAC files (lossless digital music format)? If so, yes, I play FLAC files from a UBS drive in my TourX. FLAC files will only play at original resolution, so for CD's it's 16-bit, 44.1kHz. Not sure what you mean by 'high res'?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Assuming you are referring to a ISO type file that mimics a disk CD or DVD on a HD or flash?
If so there is a Window based program called PowerISO that can make a bootable flash drive and phantom disk drives on HD's so disks are no longer needed to launch programs.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
I‘m looking at buying a DSP that requires a CD player for setup. Anyone know if I can rip the CD to high res flat and play from a flash drive? Surely these manufacturers know that many people only have digital media head units?
Which DSP? Most likely the DSP unit you are considering uses mic input to build the tune based off the output of a set of know tracks from the CD. Just rip them to FLAC files and play them through the factory head unit via USB.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Do you mean FLAC files (lossless digital music format)? If so, yes, I play FLAC files from a UBS drive in my TourX. FLAC files will only play at original resolution, so for CD's it's 16-bit, 44.1kHz. Not sure what you mean by 'high res'?
You mean a USB drive (Universal Serial Bus)? If so, yes I will use a USB drive to store the FLAC files I rip from CD. My original post was a type-o.

You know exactly what I mean by high res files. You’re trying to put me on blast like I don’t know what I’m talking about. It was an honest mistake, as I realize that high resolution audio is considered to be anything above 16-bit and 44kHz, usually at least 24-bit and 96kHz. However, 24-bit and 44.1kHz is also considered high res.

I also know that a true high res file has to be created from an original master recording and that you can’t create something from nothing, meaning you can’t enhance a CD recording by ripping it with a lossless codec.

You see, back when mp3 files became mainstream, CD quality was considered to be 128kbps at 44.1kHz, but people still insisted 192kbps/44.1kHz was a better rip. Then they said 320kbps was a better rip. I bet you ripped all of yours at 128kbps because you’re smarter than everyone else.

You got something smart to say now?

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Which DSP? Most likely the DSP unit you are considering uses mic input to build the tune based off the output of a set of know tracks from the CD. Just rip them to FLAC files and play them through the factory head unit via USB.
It’s the Fosgate 3Sixty.3.

And I’m glad you spelled FLAC correctly otherwise jclin4 would let you know about it. :LOL:

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I have files on the phone of full tone testing, sweeps, white noise etc, not as good as dedicated equipment but a heck of lot easier to carry around.

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
On here or maybe the Cadillac forum someone used a usb CD drive and it worked plugged into one of the USB ports in the console.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
You mean a USB drive (Universal Serial Bus)? If so, yes I will use a USB drive to store the FLAC files I rip from CD. My original post was a type-o.

You know exactly what I mean by high res files. You’re trying to put me on blast like I don’t know what I’m talking about. It was an honest mistake, as I realize that high resolution audio is considered to be anything above 16-bit and 44kHz, usually at least 24-bit and 96kHz. However, 24-bit and 44.1kHz is also considered high res.

I also know that a true high res file has to be created from an original master recording and that you can’t create something from nothing, meaning you can’t enhance a CD recording by ripping it with a lossless codec.

You see, back when mp3 files became mainstream, CD quality was considered to be 128kbps at 44.1kHz, but people still insisted 192kbps/44.1kHz was a better rip. Then they said 320kbps was a better rip. I bet you ripped all of yours at 128kbps because you’re smarter than everyone else.

You got something smart to say now?

Yes, I meant USB. Anyone can make typos, so asking for clarification and follow-up helps. And sorry, I had zero intention call out lack of knowledge, on anyone's part. Forum's like this help to share info.

Good luck with your project.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Thanks for the tip! I’d much rather download the files.
I'm don't know anyone using the Fosgate DSP. The vast majority of my car audio friends (and myself) use the Helix models with a few using the Zapco, Arc Audio or AudioControl units. I looked through the owners manual and it appears the files are setup files, not tune files. I didn't dig deep enough to figure out if it has an auto setup feature via a mic. I'm sure there is a group somewhere in social media or the web for the Fosgate DSP where you could get help with your setup and tune if you don't have a local shop. Good luck with the project.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I'm don't know anyone using the Fosgate DSP. The vast majority of my car audio friends (and myself) use the Helix models with a few using the Zapco, Arc Audio or AudioControl units. I looked through the owners manual and it appears the files are setup files, not tune files. I didn't dig deep enough to figure out if it has an auto setup feature via a mic. I'm sure there is a group somewhere in social media or the web for the Fosgate DSP where you could get help with your setup and tune if you don't have a local shop. Good luck with the project.
I’ve seen a lot of people using Helix and Audison. Personally, I like miniDSP and was pretty much set on getting one until the Fosgate showed up brand new for $275. It has been discontinued, but Fosgate said they will continue to support it. It’s actually the first DSP that I wanted, before I started doing research.

I figured it’s worth a try for $275. It’s got all the features you would need for creating a top notch sound stage and there’s a couple of Fosgate shops in town where I can get local help if needed.

I’m still putting components together and I’ll be sound proofing in two weeks, so I’ve got some time to get familiar with it. Thanks for the encouragement!

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
On here or maybe the Cadillac forum someone used a usb CD drive and it worked plugged into one of the USB ports in the console.
I’m sure they were talking about the GM CD player that fits in the glove box or console on some vehicles. It makes me wonder though. I have a USB Blu-Ray burner. I wonder if that would work?

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
This is from the link you posted:

“The USB CD player is formatted for playing WMA and WMA audio formatted CD’s. We cannot guarantee all other audio formats will function properly.”

I’ve been in IT for 25+ years and I’ve never heard of a WMA audio formatted CD. It’s either an audio CD that’s created from WAV or CDA files, like any audio CD you’d buy at the store, or is a data CD with WMA files on it.

I forget where I saw the discussion, but it was talking about some of the GM infotainment systems running on Windows CE. I’d be willing to bet that’s why they reference WMA specifically.

I’ve got both a USB BD-RW and a USB DVD-RW that I’m gonna plug in and see what happens. If it’s Windows CE it should already have universal drivers for a CD drive. I’ll let u know.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Leftover of the digital audio format era war before iPod when MP3 became the default. Yes you probably would have to go back 25 years to even know about it lol.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Leftover of the digital audio format era war before iPod when MP3 became the default. Yes you probably would have to go back 25 years to even know about it lol.
These young bucks have no clue what we used to go through to make a custom mix CD.

I downloaded my first mp3 file in 1994 on an ISDN connection, which had a synchronous transfer rate of 128Kbps (yes that’s kilobits). Then we used Winamp (“It really whips the llamas @$$”) to convert the mp3 file to wav. Winamp had an output plugin that you could select. Once we had our 10-15 wav files we would burn them to CD using Roxio Easy CD Creator. I had a Plextor 2X external CD writer with a CD caddy. We couldn’t just slip the CD in the drive, it had to be placed into a caddy tray first. The whole process from start to finish took about 60-90 minutes.

Around the time CD writers got up to 4X speed, a new software package came out that would convert mp3 to wav and burn the CD on the fly. This cut the time down to about 30-45 minutes. That software package was called Music Match Jukebox.

Sorry... just wanted to take a little stroll down memory lane.

One correction... Roxio Easy CD Creator was originally produced by Adaptec and it was called Adaptec Easy CD Creator.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I guess Ensight could have made it worse by making it a Zip drive instead of just a WMA CD, then GM engineering probably wasn't involved. Still a strange format to pick as a default considering that it appears to have somewhat limited use in the everyday world.

Yes know the joy of every software mentioned and probably forgotten more what a PITA. Then again I'm backwards compatible as I know how much change I should be getting back without looking at the registrar or cracking out a phone app.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
These young bucks have no clue what we used to go through to make a custom mix CD.

I downloaded my first mp3 file in 1994 on an ISDN connection, which had a synchronous transfer rate of 128Kbps (yes that’s kilobits). Then we used Winamp (“It really whips the llamas @$$”) to convert the mp3 file to wav. Winamp had an output plugin that you could select. Once we had our 10-15 wav files we would burn them to CD using Roxio Easy CD Creator. I had a Plextor 2X external CD writer with a CD caddy. We couldn’t just slip the CD in the drive, it had to be placed into a caddy tray first. The whole process from start to finish took about 60-90 minutes.

Around the time CD writers got up to 4X speed, a new software package came out that would convert mp3 to wav and burn the CD on the fly. This cut the time down to about 30-45 minutes. That software package was called Music Match Jukebox.

Sorry... just wanted to take a little stroll down memory lane.

One correction... Roxio Easy CD Creator was originally produced by Adaptec and it was called Adaptec Easy CD Creator.
Memory lane? I bought a 1200 baud modem when everyone else had 300 baud. Within 3 years that was outdated and I needed to buy a 9600 baud one. A professor in a Uuniversity networking class I took claimed that we would never see anything faster than 9600 baud because that was the limits of phone line’s and that CPU speeds would never exceed 100 MHz because the support chips and RAM could never keep up. Boy was he wrong. He obviously didn’t think about compression or alternate mechanisms for internet beyond telephone dialup and levels 1-3 CPU caches that are common today. This next gen of CPUs with HBM will make another leap forward in compute speed assuming the hardware lives up to the marketing hype.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners