• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

DSP Setup without CD Player?

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
LMAO my first network, videos took forever to download!
View attachment 31824
bringing the thread back to the original topic (sort of), my original method for ripping songs was playing an FM radio in a crappy clock radio and pressing record on a mono cassette recorder putting both inside of a small box, and the audio quality was horrible. Eventually my father bought a boom box where I could record directly from FM to a cassette. Eventually I got a turntable wi a decent stylus and component audio equipment to really make nice recordings, and it wasn’t until 1985 when I purchased the original Sony portable CD player which had a giant battery pack that held 3 C Dell batteries. So MP3 today through AirPods far exceeds even any of those setups.except the CD player. Anything more to me is just people paying a lot to go that extra mile. But I get it, my dad eventually got a set of Bic Venturi speakers which sounded really nice. Today’s subwoofer/satellite home systems might sound close, but those old-school 3 way speakers with a really big woofer are hard to beat.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
LMAO my first network, videos took forever to download!
View attachment 31824
It’s fun to look back and see how far we’ve come. Remember Bill Gates famously said “I can’t imagine computers will ever need more than 128K of memory”?

I still have a working parallel port Zip Drive. I don’t know why.

Back on topic... sort of. I love the sound of CD’s on a good system. I bought a used, mint condition Onkyo single CD player last year. I still own about 300 CD’s.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Zip, Jazz and 5.25 drives, 30 CD jukebox and toss in a Pioneer laser disc., oh the crap to have just for good quality.

But it's looking at the automotive manufacturers trying to make everything proprietary and unfortunately the world is making changes faster than they will ever be able to respond. Can't say I've seen anyone mention if they ever tried to sideload apps on GM systems or if possible, have seen a few techy posts that seemed to go nowhere or just lost interest. But it appears that they are heading towards a single failure point, sort of like the all in one turntable, 8-track and radio units that if one goes down it all needs replacement.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
It’s fun to look back and see how far we’ve come. Remember Bill Gates famously said “I can’t imagine computers will ever need more than 128K of memory”?

I still have a working parallel port Zip Drive. I don’t know why.

Back on topic... sort of. I love the sound of CD’s on a good system. I bought a used, mint condition Onkyo single CD player last year. I still own about 300 CD’s.
I also have over 300 CDs, and I’ve ripped most of the good songs I wanted into a huge hard drive, then put all the 5 stars onto a 30GB iPod with a HDD. Amazing that now I could just get a tiny USB key as a way of bringing my music library with me. I know my 2013 Chevy a volt can play MP3s from a flash drive, so I’m guessing the Buick can do the same. That said, today I don’t bother carrying media around, I just stream off of pandora or Spotify for free and deal with the commercials and the limitations that comes with the free service.

Turning back time some more, anybody use an old Apple II system or TRS 80 where your primary mode of storage was to convert bits to a modem noise and record those bits on audio cassettes? Even further back, in high school I took a programming class at a community college where my Apple II with floppies was light years ahead of them. In that class we were forced to use punch cards. I did all of my programming on my computer, tested it, then recoded my stuff into punch cards to turn in my assignments.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Sorry to say but in my HS day's a word processor was a pen and paper, typing class was about the highest level of technology being offered LOL.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I also have over 300 CDs, and I’ve ripped most of the good songs I wanted into a huge hard drive, then put all the 5 stars onto a 30GB iPod with a HDD. Amazing that now I could just get a tiny USB key as a way of bringing my music library with me. I know my 2013 Chevy a volt can play MP3s from a flash drive, so I’m guessing the Buick can do the same. That said, today I don’t bother carrying media around, I just stream off of pandora or Spotify for free and deal with the commercials and the limitations that comes with the free service.

Turning back time some more, anybody use an old Apple II system or TRS 80 where your primary mode of storage was to convert bits to a modem noise and record those bits on audio cassettes? Even further back, in high school I took a programming class at a community college where my Apple II with floppies was light years ahead of them. In that class we were forced to use punch cards. I did all of my programming on my computer, tested it, then recoded my stuff into punch cards to turn in my assignments.
I had a Radio Shack Tandy Color Computer 2, which took cartridges and you could add a cassette drive. I worked on the Apple IIe in my 7th grade Computer Literacy class in 1986-87. We wrote programs in Apple BASIC and I still have printouts of all the code.

Some friends down the street had a Commodore 64 that we used to play games on. Man the games looked so sweet on that machine. I thought that was IT!

Got my first modern day PC in 1992. It was a 486SX/25 with 1MB RAM, 128K video card and a 1200 baud modem. That same year at college we were using 386DX/16 computers in the lab.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Oh and yes, your Buick will play MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC from USB. Just make sure your ID tags are consistent so the Infotainment system will catalog them properly.

Oh how I wish our cars would play video as easily as music. At some point I’m going to have mine modified to mirror my iPhone. Not that I watch video while driving, but I do play movies and use the DirecTV, Netflix, and Prime Video apps when I have passengers.

My main client is an hour drive away and my family is 4 hours away, and it’s nice to play video for a change sometimes.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
Oh and yes, your Buick will play MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC from USB. Just make sure your ID tags are consistent so the Infotainment system will catalog them properly.

Oh how I wish our cars would play video as easily as music. At some point I’m going to have mine modified to mirror my iPhone. Not that I watch video while driving, but I do play movies and use the DirecTV, Netflix, and Prime Video apps when I have passengers.

My main client is an hour drive away and my family is 4 hours away, and it’s nice to play video for a change sometimes.
Other than the fact it would be illlegal in most states to be play a video that the driver can see. Passenger, back seat riders are OK. Again, every family member has their own IPad so video is not a problem.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Other than the fact it would be illlegal in most states to be play a video that the driver can see. Passenger, back seat riders are OK. Again, every family member has their own IPad so video is not a problem.
Of course, but it’s perfectly fine to sift through touchscreen menus while driving.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I had a Radio Shack Tandy Color Computer 2, which took cartridges and you could add a cassette drive. I worked on the Apple IIe in my 7th grade Computer Literacy class in 1986-87. We wrote programs in Apple BASIC and I still have printouts of all the code.

Some friends down the street had a Commodore 64 that we used to play games on. Man the games looked so sweet on that machine. I thought that was IT!

Got my first modern day PC in 1992. It was a 486SX/25 with 1MB RAM, 128K video card and a 1200 baud modem. That same year at college we were using 386DX/16 computers in the lab.
I actually have an Apple museum in my basement with the Apple ][ Apple ][plus Apple//e, Apple //c, Apple IIgs as well as over 90 Apple devices (Newton’s, iMacs, Quadras, Centrisis, etc.

In college, I took an assembly programming glass which had a z80 CPU, the computer cabinets were home made out of plywood, and the floppies were 8 inch floppies (looked just like the 5 inch ones, just bigger). They were big enough that I had to wedge them between two pieces of cardboard and put them in my trapper keeper to keep them from getting bent. Plus, the OS was so crude that the file system was not random access, you treated the floppy like a big tape using the UNIX tar O(tape archive) command to append, rewind, overwrite data. So many people lost their programs because they accidentally wiped out other files they had created. One thing for sure, people who learned to write code during this era knew how to preserve memory and disk since my first computer had 8KB or RAM, not 8Mb or 8GB

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National

I have well over 3000 CDs and SACDs. I have a 14TB drive over half full of music. I remember the old days of getting CDs ripped. And as new, better tech came out I would re-rip into a higher resolution or better format for resolution. Now the majority of my ripping is of SACD to DSD format when it is not available for one of the various online HiRes stores.

The old days of PCs were fun. I enjoyed the research and building machines. Now it just too easy to buy almost exactly what I want and add the super nice sound card. I'm at a point that I need to upgrade my Home Theater to take advantage of HiRes streaming and playing the HiRes files I have ripped.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I have well over 3000 CDs and SACDs. I have a 14TB drive over half full of music. I remember the old days of getting CDs ripped. And as new, better tech came out I would re-rip into a higher resolution or better format for resolution. Now the majority of my ripping is of SACD to DSD format when it is not available for one of the various online HiRes stores.

The old days of PCs were fun. I enjoyed the research and building machines. Now it just too easy to buy almost exactly what I want and add the super nice sound card. I'm at a point that I need to upgrade my Home Theater to take advantage of HiRes streaming and playing the HiRes files I have ripped.
Not sure how high you’re wanting to go, but the new Denon 8K receivers are super nice!

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
Not sure how high you’re wanting to go, but the new Denon 8K receivers are super nice!
Still using an old Pioneer Elite 5.1 Home Theater Receiver. I like the Denon and Marantz units. I have a soft spot for the Pioneer Elite and the hi end Sony units. I don't have a need for any more channels than the 7.2 units provide, so the 9.2, 11.2 and 13.2 units aren't needed (other than some cool features). I've mainly been looking at the 4k and 4k Ultra HD AV units since the pricing on them has dropped drastically with the release of the 8k units.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
Still using an old Pioneer Elite 5.1 Home Theater Receiver. I like the Denon and Marantz units. I have a soft spot for the Pioneer Elite and the hi end Sony units. I don't have a need for any more channels than the 7.2 units provide, so the 9.2, 11.2 and 13.2 units aren't needed (other than some cool features). I've mainly been looking at the 4k and 4k Ultra HD AV units since the pricing on them has dropped drastically with the release of the 8k units.
I have a 2 channel Sony receiver that I've been using since college still in the basement. But my kids bought me a newer Sony HD receiver with a mix of Bose and Polk Audio 7.2 speakers one Christmas as my current home theater system. I doubt I will need anything new for the rest of my life unless we buy another vacation home or something. Even then, I could get by with a set of wireless Bluetooth speakers. I guess I'm not that much of an audiophile.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
I have a 2 channel Sony receiver that I've been using since college still in the basement. But my kids bought me a newer Sony HD receiver with a mix of Bose and Polk Audio 7.2 speakers one Christmas as my current home theater system. I doubt I will need anything new for the rest of my life unless we buy another vacation home or something. Even then, I could get by with a set of wireless Bluetooth speakers. I guess I'm not that much of an audiophile.
My 1st Home Theater receiver, from the early 90's, is in my office (that I haven't worked out of in 16 months) with a nice set of Mission bookshelf speakers. My 2nd Home theater receiver is in my garage running an old pair of 6x9s for when I'm working my vehicles. The 3rd is in my shop running another old set of car audio speakers to provide entertainment while I'm working on my bicycles, bows, etc. I don't throw stuff away, I repurpose until it's no longer useful.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I used to do electronics recycling on the side, properly disposing of TVs and computer screens while repurposing anything good that came in. My daughter received a nearly perfect set of 4 huge pioneer speakers and a receiver. I also have a matching dual tape deck but she didn’t see the need for it. Her husband added a bluetooth adapter and now they stream music from their phones/computers through the system. With 12 and 15 inch woofers, it’s more than enough for what they are using it for. Prior to receiving this, they were using ear buds, wireless headphones, and Those cheap JBL Bluetooth speakers you can find at Target and Walmart.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
I picked up an old Marantz SR9300 receiver recently from eBay. I don't use it for HT, but use the multichannel amp for DSP home audio, powering DIY open baffle 3-way speakers.

The DSP is DIY as well, software-based (Linux and open source software). Cheap(!) and works well for IIR filtering/crossover.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Sony KP-5020 5 FT screen, Panasonic NV-8200 industrial VHS, Marantz 2285B receiver, Pair of Seeburg DDS-1's Altec H-811 horn with dual 15" Utah Drivers and 2 Utah 2 way rear speakers. L&R TV center and rear speakers with delays was a faux surround sound. No remotes so it had some draw backs as a home theater but the people who got to experience it back then still comment on it today. This was 1979 so most people had a 25" tube TV, mono VHS player coming out of a speaker from the TV.

Funny thing I was always asked about the Intellivision game was playing football "Do the player run slower because of a bigger screen?".

My dad had a new 1967 Buick LeSabre and after a while he had a rear speaker installed with reverb which had a little knob under the dash to adjust the amount of delay. Granted it was mono AM radio but still cool compared to stock, so that was my first introduction to audio output modifications.

Off topic I know, but this post has been interesting on various electronics that may or may not be useful for automotive applications.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners