eAssist Benefits, Operation, & Warranty Coverage

12eAssistGLJ

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal Premium 2 eAssist w/ Nav - Smoky Gray Metallic
I am seeing questions about eAssist scattered across multiple threads and so I am taking the time to answer as many as I can here. I own a Premium 2 with eAssist; if anyone has questions about how it performs or how the fuel economy is, please post here.

eAssist Auto-stop and Restart Operation:

While brakes are applied, as soon as the vehicle reaches a full stop, transmission shifts to neutral, combustion ceases, and the e-assist electric motor takes over (auto-stop). This all happens very quick and is seamless to the driver. As soon as you release the brakes, the crankshaft spins back up and the vehicle seamlessly resumes gear. To prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards, if you are slow to hit the accelerator after releasing the brake, "hill-assist" engages automatically, and keeps the brakes fully applied up to two seconds between release of the brake and acceleration.

Auto-stop will end and resume the combustion engine if you release the brakes, shift out of drive to manual mode, park, or reverse, the e-assist battery is exhausted, or if you change the climate control to where the AC compressor is immediately demanded.

Auto-stop will not occur if the engine has not yet warmed.

Concerns about Wear from Auto-stop:

There is no risk of wear on the starter -- The engine starter is not used in the auto-stop restart process; torque from the electric motor is responsible for spinning the crankshaft up to speed before combustion begins. This is why you will notice that resuming from auto-stop is silent, no "cranking" is heard.

There is still a conventional starter motor that engages when the vehicle is cold-started. Hence, you will hear and feel the traditional cranking during a cold-start. The vehicle needs this motor because when the vehicle is off, the eAssist generator motor is not running and will not have the capacity to spin the crankshaft to full speed.

Additional Benefits:

When in gear and moving, automatic louvers in the grille close and the e-assist motor will aid the combustion engine during each acceleration; you will see "Hybrid Power" appear on the status monitor initially every time you accelerate.

When coasting (foot completely off the accelerator) fuel injection is cut-off (instantaneous MPG in the DIC will display 99 MPG when this occurs).

When braking, the regenerative braking system steps in to help slow the vehicle and charge the battery; this results in less use of the brake pads and longer life.

The vehicle has a conventional battery that runs the conventional starter motor and all accessories (the eAssist battery is not utilized to power anything other than the eAssist electric motor, unless jump-starting). An added benefit to eAssist is that it provides the ability to jump start the conventional battery through the DIC if it runs down. Simply press and hold the engine Start button to enter service mode and toggle through the driver information center until you see the option to begin the jump-start operation.

Other Differences:
  • Smaller fuel tank to conserve on weight (15.8 Gal)
  • No spare tire, tire sealant and compressor kit instead
  • There is no alternator; the eAssist electric generator motor takes the place of this and is covered by the eAssist warranty
  • Electric power steering
  • Extra underbody paneling to help with aerodynamic efficiency
  • 17" Alloy Low-roll Tires are the only factory option (You can change after market)
Warranty Coverage:

The 8 year/100,000 mile warranty covers all eAssist components (Not Just the Battery), I pulled out my warranty book as I know many in the forum have had questions on this -- It lists specifically the following as being covered: Energy storage control module, eAssist battery, eAssist battery disconnect, powerpack assembly, eAssist battery cooling fan, starter generator unit, starter generator cooling pump, high voltage 3-phase/12-volt cable assembly, and the auxiliary transmission pump.

jrfeine

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo TO4
It's like you are speaking directly towards me... You sir have provided a great service to the community. We thank you!

Lacross

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thank you for your comprehensive explanation of this subject. That is indeed a great service to owners like me and others.

Mine is a 2012 LaCrosse with eAssist and 48,000 miles. I have a question about how one knows when the lithium ion battery needs replacement. Will there eventually be a check engine light /trouble code that indicates when the battery needs to be replaced?

My symptoms are: 1) poorer gas mileage than the first 3 years of operation, 2) a 50% or less battery charge showing on the indicator, 3) slower acceleration than the first 3 years, 4) auto stop/start still functions correctly, 5) Regen braking still feels good and charge-back still indicates on the engine display.

I took it to the dealer complaining of a dead eAssist battery. The reply was that since there is no check engine light or trouble code indicating a problem, then there is no problem. Will there eventually be a check engine light /trouble code that indicates when the battery needs to be replaced?

G-257706

Thank you for your comprehensive explanation of this subject. That is indeed a great service to owners like me and others.

Mine is a 2012 LaCrosse with eAssist and 48,000 miles. I have a question about how one knows when the lithium ion battery needs replacement. Will there eventually be a check engine light /trouble code that indicates when the battery needs to be replaced?

My symptoms are: 1) poorer gas mileage than the first 3 years of operation, 2) a 50% or less battery charge showing on the indicator, 3) slower acceleration than the first 3 years, 4) auto stop/start still functions correctly, 5) Regen braking still feels good and charge-back still indicates on the engine display.

I took it to the dealer complaining of a dead eAssist battery. The reply was that since there is no check engine light or trouble code indicating a problem, then there is no problem. Will there eventually be a check engine light /trouble code that indicates when the battery needs to be replaced?