• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

eAssist Wiring Schematics for an odd project.

invalidusername

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Good morning/evening/night/afternoon! To make a short story shorter: I am looking at trying to retrofit the eAssist setup on an older vehicle (73 datsun wagon) for testing a little concept I've played around with for a few years. Once I realized GM already had something I started looking into the feasibility of it being retrofitted onto older small displacement vehicles. In order to continue my research (more like extreme hobby hacking) I just need to get the factory service manual for an eAssist vehicle with schematics and signals.

Goal: I want a way to add power for better acceleration, that's the primary goal. This would be an alternative to figuring out a carbureted turbo setup or converting to FI then going turbo (already in the plans anyway). The ~80ftlbs of torque would help immensely.

Reasoning for using eAssist
: It already exists and has been engineered to do all the things I would hope to get working (regen, power assist, act as an alternator etc) and is actually cheaper to piece together than an AC motor/inverter/battery pack setup that I would then have to figure out. The controller is separate from the cars ECM (as far as I can tell) and seems to be it's own self contained setup (cooling systems, controllers, batteries etc). It is also in a relatively smaller form factor than I most AC motors I came across for EVs.

How will I do this? I hope to get the wiring schematics and figure out all the inputs/signals etc, coming from the Nissan/Datsun world factory service manuals are easy to obtain and have every single little piece of info you need....except exact canbus signals (which can be figured out) so I was hoping to get something similar for any vehicle that uses eAssist. I am well aware of the differences between a carbureted vehicle and OBD and that I will most likely have to find a way to convert signals (though if it takes in analogue signals that would be sweet). In the long run I think this will be completely feasible and is already being done by companies (Hline eharger for example). I think a lot of people would be interested in doing something like this if there were an interface that helped install it. If I could get all the functions to work, that would be great, but my main goal is the assist. I purchased the motor/generator, I want to hold off on the controller/battery pack until I have drawings to better understand what I'm getting myself in to. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated but saying "it won't work" or "it's not possible" will be ignored as they add nothing to the conversation and definitely are not true since the system obviously exists.

Sorry for writing a book. I look forward to any information you can help me with or contacts etc you can point me to. If I overlooked something incredibly simple (I did use the Search function) feel free to berate me....constructively.

yesthatsteve

Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse eAssist
The eAssist technology is still new enough that very few FSMs for models using it are reaching the secondary market. You'll see them pop up on eBay for $200-400. You can also try a subscription at alldatadiy.com - that might have what you need, as well. There are discount codes available online for alldata subscriptions.

Be sure to check for other models that use various generations of GM's BAS hybrid system - Saturn Vue Greenline & Aura Greenline, Malibu, Regal, Impala. You might be able to find low-cost service manuals for the earlier model years.

invalidusername

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Cool, thank you for the input. I was going to reach out to the manufacturer of the two controllers built into the battery unit (the name escapes me at the moment) as well, since they seem to be relatively "off the shelf" parts. I've given the BAS system some thought, finding information on that is difficult as well plus I am unsure of ALL of the differences between the two (voltage and motor/gen being the obvious ones). The Lacrosse kept popping up above other models for some reason in my search, so I figured I would start there. Once again, thank you for your input, I'll check that link out.

winreboot

Buick Ownership
buick
Hi invalidusername, how did it go? Did you got it figured out and running? I'm trying to do the same, retrofit the motor on a project car, and have more questions then I can find answers for starting with wiring diagrams. alldata.com have some available online for DIY but they are not complete.

invalidusername

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi invalidusername, how did it go? Did you got it figured out and running? I'm trying to do the same, retrofit the motor on a project car, and have more questions then I can find answers for starting with wiring diagrams. alldata.com have some available online for DIY but they are not complete.
Sorry for the late reply, I don't own a Buick so I'm never on here. I did not find the information I was looking for but am still actively searching. I have several car projects and home projects that have taken all my time and monetary resources but I plan to jump back in to this soon. Since it has been a few months since you asked, have you come across any useful information? I found nothing on alldata.com when I last looked.

winreboot

Buick Ownership
buick
Sorry for the late reply, I don't own a Buick so I'm never on here. I did not find the information I was looking for but am still actively searching. I have several car projects and home projects that have taken all my time and monetary resources but I plan to jump back in to this soon. Since it has been a few months since you asked, have you come across any useful information? I found nothing on alldata.com when I last looked.
Hi, yes I got a hold of the wiring diagrams. I went to local shop and they were nice enough to access their online system and do some print outs. PM me directly if you need more info. I had to pull back on this project as it looks like it needs can bus access to ECU. I googled and there are some controllers out there that even can use gps signal to push over can bus as car speed, but this will get more involved then need to be. I think the best way would be to get after market inverter controller but they are alone over $1k. This is great idea and cool project but would eat a lot of time to figure out. Since then I moved to research on Tesla drive units, since people already crack the code and it's the best electric motor out there at current time. Will most likely go with Tesla small motor 294HP (220kW) over their large one 636HP (475kW)

Pedal Commander