Edited: What Are Your Favorite TourX Surprises?

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
1. Okay - so I traded in my faithful RDX after 12 easy years of ownership for an '18.5 TourX on Friday. Thanks everyone here for the great info, and to our forum sponsor - I'm gonna take out a membership for at least a year. Essence in Smoked Pearl Metallic.

I was detailing it yesterday and noticed something very interesting in my left front cupholder. Was gonna post a pic but didn't want to spoil the surprise. Does anyone else notice anything interesting in the bottom of that cupholder? Why is it there? Any clues? I'm guessing it's an Opel thing, but maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

2. What are your favorite TourX surprises? Above is one of my mine. Also, man but I love the night lighting in my TourX interior. Wow. I didn't know a car could look that cool on the inside. Super impressed with the great job GM did on this ride. I hope they keep making them. Even if not, right now sure is the perfect time to get one.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
1. Okay - so I traded in my faithful RDX after 12 easy years of ownership for an '18.5 TourX on Friday. Thanks everyone here for the great info, and to our forum sponsor - I'm gonna take out a membership for at least a year. Essence in Smoked Pearl Metallic.

I was detailing it yesterday and noticed something very interesting in my left front cupholder. Was gonna post a pic but didn't want to spoil the surprise. Does anyone else notice anything interesting in the bottom of that cupholder? Why is it there? Any clues? I'm guessing it's an Opel thing, but maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

2. What are your favorite TourX surprises? Above is one of my mine. Also, man but I love the night lighting in my TourX interior. Wow. I didn't know a car could look that cool on the inside. Super impressed with the great job GM did on this ride. I hope they keep making them. Even if not, right now sure is the perfect time to get one.
Shark in my car

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Thanks and dang...knew I shoulda' searched! Oh well. Question still applies...what are your favorite surprises / things about your TourX?

capitalpyro

Buick Ownership
Tour X
I haven't found too many surprises but I did have an experience with the sound system that may fit the topic.

While test driving the car I eventually bought, I was somewhat disapointed with the sound from the radio. The car did have the Bose system and I had expected a little more. I was happily surprised after I bought the car and played music through Bluetooth or Apple play. The sound was much better than the radio. Also a little surprised at how well this car passes on the highway. Pretty impressive for a stock 4 cyl.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

Interior lighting at night for me as well. I watched many a YouTube review, but none of them recorded at night, so it was a pleasant surprise.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Is the "headlight dance" thing only on LED headlights or all of them? I haven't noticed anything like that on mine, but the lights are usually still on when I walk away from it at night.
There are quite a few things that I don't care much for- the Bose stereo, for one. The HVAC controls are bizarre- buttons and the touch screen required to find all the settings one wants. The 2015 Impala and 2015 Camaro we have both have touch screens which can control HVAC, but the "real" buttons have all the vent selection etc in one easy to use spot without having to use the screen. The location of the power plug is odd- making one cup holder not available when the plug is in use.
We love the car, but there are a few things on it that make you wonder what they were thinking.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Is the "headlight dance" thing only on LED headlights or all of them? I haven't noticed anything like that on mine, but the lights are usually still on when I walk away from it at night.
There are quite a few things that I don't care much for- the Bose stereo, for one. The HVAC controls are bizarre- buttons and the touch screen required to find all the settings one wants. The 2015 Impala and 2015 Camaro we have both have touch screens which can control HVAC, but the "real" buttons have all the vent selection etc in one easy to use spot without having to use the screen. The location of the power plug is odd- making one cup holder not available when the plug is in use.
We love the car, but there are a few things on it that make you wonder what they were thinking.
That’s more of a ‘least favorite surprises’ list right there.

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
In no particular order…
  • Performance of the Aisin 8 speed transmission – despite repeated warning here on this forum and in numerous trade reviews, I’ve found that the transmission tuning is acceptable and translates into useful power when needed. Shifts do come early, but the transmission is in synch with available engine torque to move forward without lugging. As doesn’t hurt that gas mileage remains in line with posted ratings.
  • Sound insulation – this was a very big surprise. Just my impression, but to my untrained ears this vehicle is just as quiet at 90 mph as it is at 55 mph. Can’t pinpoint the exact reason why, most likely a combination of good insulation, foam-insert tires, and the noise cancellation system. Very different than my Chrysler 300C 5.7L where you clearly know/hear acceleration is occurring at a rapid pace…TourX goes about it in a quiet, dignified manner with no fuss. No appreciable turbo boost-bump or spool-up delay, just firm, linear power delivery.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
+1 on the quietness.

I have my 2008 Honda Accord up for sale which I had considered to be a pretty smooth and quiet car. After driving the Regal then getting back into the Accord, its very noisy.

I'm now a believer in those foam tires. I want to get summer tires next and most of the major tire brands have some form of foam. But there are not many choices yet. Hopefully as we see more EVs we will see more higher performance tires engineered to be quiet.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
In no particular order…
  • Performance of the Aisin 8 speed transmission – despite repeated warning here on this forum and in numerous trade reviews, I’ve found that the transmission tuning is acceptable and translates into useful power when needed. Shifts do come early, but the transmission is in synch with available engine torque to move forward without lugging. As doesn’t hurt that gas mileage remains in line with posted ratings.
I don't want to argue in reference to the transmission but are we driving the same car? At 40 mph in automatic, I'm in 7th gear and lugging. I shift to manual to bring it down to 4th gear so I feel like I can move. I live in a rural area with speed limits right around 35-45 on local roads and If I get behind someone driving at the speed limit I can't punch it, so I need to downshift more than I've ever had to before. Just my experience.......

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
The majority of my travel (commuting) is spent on multi lane highways in central NJ (Rt 287).

I’m fortunate in that I can set my own schedule, so I leave the house early/leave the office early so that I don’t get stuck in big time traffic. I can assure you that in this type of environment, 70 + mph pack driving, my vehicle performs just fine. When I need to scoot, a quick punch of the go pedal drops the tranny down 2 gears and away I go.

Of course, it can’t be compared to the conditions you describe, where more effort would be required to wake up the beast.

As with any driving experience, YMMV.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I don't want to argue in reference to the transmission but are we driving the same car? At 40 mph in automatic, I'm in 7th gear and lugging.
I agree that 40mph is lug zone, but I still find everything quite responsive when I put my foot into it.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Couple of other surprises I like:

--The sunglass holder is an appreciated touch; no more shades taking up my cupholders, getting scratched up in an armrest or sliding across dash

--Night reflection of the hvac control panel on the front cupholder door; I've seen reviewer complaints about shiny surfaces. That shiny surface looks classy by day and bejeweled at night.

Little things all make up the big picture.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Couple of other surprises I like:

--The sunglass holder is an appreciated touch; no more shades taking up my cupholders, getting scratched up in an armrest or sliding across dash

--Night reflection of the hvac control panel on the front cupholder door; I've seen reviewer complaints about shiny surfaces. That shiny surface looks classy by day and bejeweled at night.

Little things all make up the big picture.
What sunglass holder? My Essence has an unmovable plate over what is a sunglass holder area, however I have the moon roof and figured that must get in the way of a working sunglass holder???? I should pop it off to see whats under there.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.