• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Electrical problem on '99 Buick Century Limited

wmkellettjj3

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Century Limited
I have a 1999 Buick Century Limited 3.1 which has been sitting for a few weeks since the last time I started it. The battery (Walmart Everstart Maxx) is only a few months old. I went out and tried to start it and got nothing when I turned the key (no lights on the dashboard, no response from the starter) I hooked up a jumper box, which is fully charged, and the starter barely turned over, only about one turn, followed by a rapid clicking. Any ideas?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Dead battery! You may have a voltage/battery drain while the car was sitting so long. What are the volts on the battery when testing? Have you had a load test done on the battery?? A lot of unknowns here!

wmkellettjj3

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Century Limited
I'd disconnect and charge the battery. Then I'd check for parasitic drain with everything off. Finally I'd check the voltage whilst charging. Should be 14ish.
This is a maintenance free battery (no posts, no caps, side terminals) Are they safe to charge?

Waiex191

Poplar Grove, IL
Buick Ownership
2000 Century
Yep! They charge every time you drive if the alternator is working. Besides, maintenance free batteries are really the same technology as the old batteries with caps. They just have excess electrolyte above the plates so as it is lost you still have enough - for a while anyway.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
No report from voltage or load test from the battery?

Pedal Commander