Emergency Brake Question

Prox

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Dumb question here that I almost accidentally answered.. Does the electronic e-brake activate at any speed? This the the first car I have owned with this feature and I'm not used to it. I miss my levers!! Anyway, I was tooling along on the highway and my hand was hovering over the switch. I sometimes mindlessly fidget with stuff like pushing the shifter button (obviously activating the front facing machine gun) and I almost pulled the the e-bake switch up. Will this fully activate the brakes on the rear wheels at speed? If so, does anyone else think this is a hazardous and easily triggered catastrophe?

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo

This may or may not apply but my Verano's manual says the following about applying the electronic parking brake while in motion:

"If the EPB is applied while the vehicle is moving, the vehicle will decelerate as long as the switch is held up. If the switch is held up until the vehicle comes to a stop, the EPB will remain applied."

While I'm guilty of occasionally fidgeting with my car's gear shift button at a long stoplight or while waiting for a freight train to pass, I've never thought about playing with the EPB while driving, so I don't think the switch's placement is a hazard. I don't miss parking brake levers at all; they took up too much console space in my previous cars.

Last edited:

Jack GS

Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
"If the EPB is applied while the vehicle is moving, the vehicle will decelerate as long as the switch is held up. If the switch is held up until the vehicle comes to a stop, the EPB will remain applied."
It applies. This is exactly what is stated in the Regal manual as well.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I risked my life and tried it in the parking lot for your curiosity prior to arrival at work :).

When the EPB is pulled up while the car is moving, the car will immediately decelerate and there is an ABS sound, but it is nowhere near as the braking force for an actual ABS-situation. I am not sure which wheels does this brake action apply on.

Considering it is still a significant deceleration to happen on any public road, please do not do it while driving.

Last edited:

Prox

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I risked my life and tried it in the parking lot for your curiosity prior to arrive at work :).

When the EPB is pulled up while the car is moving, the car will immediately decelerate and there is an ABS sound, but it is nowhere near as the braking force for an actual ABS-situation. I am not sure which wheels does this brake action apply on.

Considering it is still a significant deceleration to happen on any public road, please do not do it while driving.
Thank you for your selfless and heroic actions furthering the pursuit of science! I'm still not gonna try it.

Prox

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Should have looked first, of course someone has filmed this:

I'm guessing the functionality is an industry standard.

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
On my 2018 TourX if it is pulled up and released it gives an audible tone and a "parking brake deactivated" in the DIC, you can hear the parking brake actuator operate in the rear but there must be some interaction with the BCM/ECM to tell it that the vehicle is moving faster than it should be for operation. If you pull it up a second time that is when the magic happens. It stops... fast.

I haven't held it up to see if that gets it to engage.

It is no more dangerous than any other emergency stop.

I was driving a Subaru a while back and did the same process and after discussing with an engineer he said that the parking brake with call up 100% braking force, if that is unavailable through a loss of fluid or other factors then the vehicle will "feather" the parking brake to bring the vehicle to a stop. It felt virtually identical to the operation in the TourX.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I have a question. Living in Florida, and having my cars registered in Florida, we have No State Inspection every year, however,,, when I lived in NYS, part of the inspection process was to pull Parking Brake, then with car in Drive or Reverse, push on gas to see if car would move.

With our present cars, EPB deactivates when you step on gas.
How do the inspectators do it?

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I had a heck of a time getting used to the electronic brake, not sure why except pulling up on a handle made it easier for me to remember that was how to apply the parking brake. I guess the full brute force motion of pulling up was ingrained on my brain more than pulling up on a button with my finger and pushing down with the same finger to release.

I never considered trying to engage the parking brake while driving any more than I do with pulling up the parking brake handle on my other car. But now you've triggered my brain to consider fiddling with it while driving. Stop messing with my head, I'm still trying to figure all of the software nuances of this vehicle. ;-)

FavaBean

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Hmm. Maybe I can teach my 16 yr old to learn how to counter-steer in the snow.

It was so easy (and fun!) to get my 98 Corolla to swing its ass around by yanking the hand brake in the snow.

Prox

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Hmm. Maybe I can teach my 16 yr old to learn how to counter-steer in the snow.

It was so easy (and fun!) to get my 98 Corolla to swing its ass around by yanking the hand brake in the snow.
That has me thinking now, how does our e-brake know when the vehicle is stopped? Because when it is stopped, the rear wheels lock up and you have to lift the switch up while pressing the brake pedal. If the sensor is on the front wheels, then e-braking in a slide turn is possible (Sweet!). If the sensor is on the rear wheels, then once the wheels lock up, you will be cursed with a continuous skid until you can deactivate the switch and press the brake pedal. By then, your awesome slide will be corrupted for sure.... Someone try this where there is still some snow!!!!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.