Encore 2014 Road Noise

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2014 White Encore Premium FWD
I have just received my brand new 2014 Encore Premium. The car is great.... as many of you have already testified in this forum....Except for one issue.
My car seems to have a relative high level of road noise coming from the front floor pan. The noise level is comparable to the one you get from a cheap Hyundai Accent ( wife's car ).
It is definitely road noise as it varies with the type of pavement I drive on ( summer tires ) . I have taken the car to the dealer and following different tests the car seems to be okay. The dealer's answer is that all Encores are like that!
Do any of you experience this unusual level of road noise starting at approx 30mph. I thought the Encore was supposed to be a quiet car.

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2013 model. Yes, the road noise is greater than I hoped it would be. One thing I do wonder though is how can you be sure that the noise cancellation system is working? There is no off/on switch. Can the dealer test it?

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
I have a 2013 model. Yes, the road noise is greater than I hoped it would be. One thing I do wonder though is how can you be sure that the noise cancellation system is working? There is no off/on switch. Can the dealer test it?

Donniejt...I did not ask the dealer how to check if the noise cancellation system is on or not. I trusted him when he told me he tested the car ( maybe I shouldn't have ). He also told me the noise cancellation system only works when the radio is on. If what he said is true ...why would I need active noise cancellation?. The music from the radio, by itself will drown the noise.

R&L's Encore

Buick Ownership
Buick AWD Encore
I would take a couple of other Encores for a test drive so you have something to compare yours to. At least you would know if yours is normal or not.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
You could shift it into neutral to eliminate drivetrain noise. Also ocsilating the steering wheel(when no one is around) to see if frequency changes. Tire pressures play a big rol also.

At highway speed you can test the Bose ANC by putting two hands over the microphones above the front seats. The feedback creates weird noise and you'll know it is working.

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
The Encore manual says that the radio does not have to on for the noise cancellation system to work. Is this really true?

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
The Encore manual says that the radio does not have to on for the noise cancellation system to work. Is this really true?

The Bose site ( https://globalpressroom.bose.com/us-en/pressrelease/view/39 ) explains the ANC system and quotes:

"When targeted frequencies are identified, an acoustically opposite signal is produced by the audio speakers to cancel the unwanted sound. And it operates continuously, whether the audio system is on or off. The result is a quieter ride, with a signature sound only found in the Encore."

Unfortunately, it does not explain how to test if the system is operational or not. I will try NormT's method by covering the roof microphones while driving.

weekend_drive

BC
Buick Ownership
Encore AWD Leather
2013 here.

Only noise complaint I have would be the open sunroof at highway speeds ... I was hoping for a much better designed system (quieter).

No "funny" noises near the floor boards here.

Could a piece of noise insulation be missing/damaged?

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2013 here.

Only noise complaint I have would be the open sunroof at highway speeds ... I was hoping for a much better designed system (quieter).

No "funny" noises near the floor boards here.

Could a piece of noise insulation be missing/damaged?

Can you confirm that the road noise is very minimal even under different pavement conditions? Mine is relatively quiet if the pavement is smooth as silk. As soon as I get on normal pavement the rumbling sound start.
I have checked the Bose ANC system by blocking the microphones and different noises do appear. So ANC is working

Get your turbo buick badge right here!