Encore Bose Active Noise Canceling System

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Wanted to start a Thread on the Encore’s “Bose Active Noise Canceling System” – looking to better understand just how it works… (and how we’d know if it wasn’t) J

I read up on what I could find...

The graphic I found only adds more questions…. Is it for Engine Noise only? Road Noise? Pumped through all Speakers? Does it matter where you sit? Does it matter what speed? Just wondering and not surprising, all questions the Dealer (who I really liked) had no idea of.

I see how it has 3 mikes, listens to the cars inside space and places an out of phase signal though the speakers to cancel out any road noise. And where I fairly well understand speaker phasing / polarity / ohms and such along with having a good general knowledge of Stereo, Surround Sound and some Pro-Audio knowledge, I’m just not all sure how the system works in our cars. And so I dig deeper the only way I know....... take it apart! ;)

I’ve noticed regardless of whether you have the STD Radio or Premium package, that the Spare Tire area has a speaker box (made by Bose #95941989 assembled in USA.

Prior to purchase, I listened the best I could to the Rear Box to see if any Radio Audio ever comes out of it and could not hear anything. Also noticed that it was very light weight for its size and must not contain much of a Driver in it?? ) I’m going to make the assumption that it is mostly tied into the Noise Canceling and not the overall Speaker system for our radios

I took the box out the other day and opened it up (followed ever so swiftly by a “What are you doing with my car” from my lovely wife. To which I could only quote from the first Dirty Harry movie “I got’s to know”

Inside I found a Bose 4 ½”? 5”?

(all depends on where you measure from) 1 ohm Driver # 309118004255576 assembled in Mexico, date code: 11/13/12 07:15.

Verified the impedance and reassembled the unit. I gave a few light taps to the dust cover (for there is no cone per-say) and heard a nice lil’ thump out of the box’s only port. J

Again, I cranked up the Radio, placed my ear right beside the port and heard nothing. Once again, assuming that it’s only used for the Active Noise Canceling system.???

I quickly took the car for a short ride on a controlled trip, first with the box plugged in, then with the box un-plugged. Thought I‘d hear a difference, heard none. So I’ll continue to wonder just how the system is supposed to work and just how would we ever know if it is NOT working?

Any insight / findings from other owners? – Please jump in.
joe

Last edited:

adrunk

Silicon Valley
Buick Ownership
1-16-1992
“I got’s to know” .... reminds me of the 1971 Clint Eastwood classic movie Dirty Hairy.

The only on topic comment I have is that the system does a very good job of suppressing road, wind and cruising noises, so once you're up to speed it's great ... but does little to lessen the buzzy, little engine especially during brisk acceleration.

:roadkill:

Last edited:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
More on youtube about anc in Bose's headphones.

There is some more general info on AutoNetWork's youtube channel including details on the design, all weheel drive system...

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Thanks for the reference NormT.

It is indeed a nice general / overall introduction to some of the car’s systems. He really didn’t spend much time on his “sound bite” of the Bose Noise Canceling. Perhaps like all “Bose” stuff, they just don’t give you specifics.

slukster

Northern NJ
Buick Ownership
Encore (first Buick)
I believe this page should explain the technology and has a video which explains how it works.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/automotive/innovations/asm.jsp

I believe the doohickey in the spare tire is a sub-woofer and since all of the speakers are used for the ANC system, it would be apart of it as well. With such a small speaker I wouldn't expect a ton of bass. Try cranking up the bass and lower the highs and mids and see if you notice a difference when you unplug it.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Thanks for the reference slukster… I have a lot of Bose Speaker Systems in the house along with some Bose Pro Sound equipment. I’m always amazed at how much info they “kinda” give you.

Did you happen to read the portions on the Bose Suspension Systems?

How Cool! But I do wonder what they cost and how they’d hold up over years and miles
?

adrunk

Silicon Valley
Buick Ownership
1-16-1992
Yea, took my spare tire speaker/ woofer box out last night and blasted the stereo and like you couldn't hear anything.

All I know is that it's very quiet at cruising speed.

:icon:

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
From what I keep reading, it’s only to counter the Engine Noise and not road / tire noise? Not that I’ve any intention, but I guess that it would be really counter intuitive to hop up the exhaust if your intent was to hear the Motor?? :)

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Do you think it's engine noise? This lttle iron block is not thw quietest compared to my Verano and is almost similar noise as my Saab, just at a lower volume.

I'm guessing the ANC is working againist certain wave length that can be wearing on occupants. Something like the drone of being in a steel cage that fatigues over time.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I put both hands over the front mics over the front seats at about 65 mph....weird, increasing humming comes through out the car.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Interesting… least you know it does something :sad:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!