Encore GX Loud Bang

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX and 2017 Encore
Hi
I had a GX since March 2020 and in 4,000km have heard a loud bang (4 times in 4,000km, about once a month or so) coming from the drivers side dash area when slowing down to a stop, but before the car totally stops. Almost like a hammer hitting metal or a gunshot, very loud, it's that loud it makes you freak out for sure. Anyone else had similar?, it's odd for sure.
Had a 2013 Encore before and still have a 2017 Encore my wife drives, no issue's at all with them. No codes found on the GX and still being looked into by dealer. OnStar scanned for fault codes also immediately after it happened 3rd x, nothing found.

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
I have had my Encore GX since May - I to have heard this bang about once every 3 weeks. No codes and dealer says nothing found. I suspect some kind of actuator/solenoid opening/closing an AC or or heater vent that is sticking but it does not seem to affect the drive characteristics. It occurs as I slow to stop or as I go forward from a stop. Although it is very loud I notice no tremor or vibration accompanying this bang.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I say it's unacceptable as it's that loud (like a backfire or a hammer hitting metal) and freaks you out when driving. It should not be the case in a car, in 40 years of driving never experienced this ever. Had 5 GM's prior no issues great cars.

Dealer looked at my car 3 x cannot find a fault.

How many km / miles on your car and how many times did you hear it?

The dealer did say this is maybe related and going to replace the radiator mount bushings.

Maybe it's also this harness?

I have turned off the start stop now every time I start up as maybe related? Could be the starter motor engaging, my noise is only when I slow down to almost a stop, but your happens when pulling away too? Have you tried turning off the start stop?

Blaine

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
I have 5000 km on the odometer in 3.5 months. I have heard the bang 4 times but I have heard a weaker click sound many more times all from just behind the dash. My wife only has hearing in one year so she is unable to determine where it comes from. The most recent loud bang occurred when she was driving (I was in the passenger seat) and certainly appeared to be coming from driver side dash. Although I have occasionally toggled off the stop/start function it is always on by default - I don't know if there is a correlation.

I am somewhat skeptical of the two possible causes you offered as the sound is quite sharp, not muffled by the firewall and insulation.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
It happened again today while coming to an almost stop 5th time in 4,700km, so loud! I also hear the weaker click sometimes, that I can live with but the loud bang no way.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Did you make an appointment to have the lower radiator support bushings replaced?

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
Did you make an appointment to have the lower radiator support bushings replaced?

Part is on order, but as you say sounds like right in the dash is the source of the bang. Not muffled by the firewall at all. It's not something I can simply live with, way too loud.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
Part is on order, but as you say sounds like right in the dash is the source of the bang. Not muffled by the firewall at all. It's not something I can simply live with, way too loud.

Do you have an Encore GX with the same problem?

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I once had a loose steering rack that occasionally made a loud bang. Took almost a year to figure it out. Actually we didn't, my trusted mechanic just went over the suspension and re-torqued the nuts and bolts. Came back and said one of the bolts on the rack was looser than others. Never heard the bang again that was coming through the column. I'm not saying this is your problem but it doesn't take much for a noise to travel to the cabin. Look at when an end-link goes bad, you'd swear somebody was hitting your spine with a hammer.

OldWhiteChevy

It happened again today while coming to an almost stop 5th time in 4,700km, so loud! I also hear the weaker click sometimes, that I can live with but the loud bang no way.
I could be wrong, but if the click you hear occurs just after you start up and drive a few feet or so -- that could be the ABS doing a self-test. My '12 Cruze has been doing that since new, and the dealer says it's normal. But it's not even close to the gunshot-like sound you're describing.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
I could be wrong, but if the click you hear occurs just after you start up and drive a few feet or so -- that could be the ABS doing a self-test. My '12 Cruze has been doing that since new, and the dealer says it's normal. But it's not even close to the gunshot-like sound you're describing.

No it happens when car if fully warmed up, always when slowing down, although yesterday I was basically stopped and the bang occurred.

SR1945

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX Sport Essence
This hasn’t happened to my GX, but please keep us informed just in case it happens to others and you happen to get it fixed somehow. Mine has been picture perfect for over 4 months now.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
This hasn’t happened to my GX, but please keep us informed just in case it happens to others and you happen to get it fixed somehow. Mine has been picture perfect for over 4 months now.
Glad to hear as one would expect a new car to be :} Had a 2013 Encore before no issues, my wife still has a 2017 same - great cars. Plus 2 Pontiac Vibes before and a Saturn SL2 also great.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
I have 5000 km on the odometer in 3.5 months. I have heard the bang 4 times but I have heard a weaker click sound many more times all from just behind the dash. My wife only has hearing in one year so she is unable to determine where it comes from. The most recent loud bang occurred when she was driving (I was in the passenger seat) and certainly appeared to be coming from driver side dash. Although I have occasionally toggled off the stop/start function it is always on by default - I don't know if there is a correlation.

I am somewhat skeptical of the two possible causes you offered as the sound is quite sharp, not muffled by the firewall and insulation.

Does you can squeak (from I assume the brakes) on the left front side as you back up? Not sure if related to this bang, but interested to know if your car squeaks as well.

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
I don't think it squeaks while backing up but I may have been ignoring it as I have come to expect some transient brake squeak after any heavy rain and seems quite common with today's brake pads.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
I don't think it squeaks while backing up but I may have been ignoring it as I have come to expect some transient brake squeak after any heavy rain and seems quite common with today's brake pads.
You agree that this bang is not acceptable on a new car ? I would like an exchange of the car / buy back. Its a nice car just want one without this intermittent bang. We must be the unlucky two owners?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!