Encore Ride & Noise Comparison

mshultz

2019 Encore Essence AWD
How does the Encore compare to the rest of the Buick models? How does it compare to the Chevrolet Trax? I had a 1978 Chevrolet Malibu that was quiet, but the rest of my vehicles were much noisier. I really appreciate that Buick makes a subcompact CUV that is quiet and rides well.

Riz

2017 Encore AWD
How does the Encore compare to the rest of the Buick models? How does it compare to the Chevrolet Trax? I had a 1978 Chevrolet Malibu that was quiet, but the rest of my vehicles were much noisier. I really appreciate that Buick makes a subcompact CUV that is quiet and rides well.
I have a 2016 Lacrosse (sport touring) and a 2017 Encore AWD. The road noise is slightly quieter with the Encore mostly due to the ANC system but both are good in my opinion. We also test drove the Trax before purchasing the Encore and the noise was significantly louder with the Trax and really the deciding point to go with the Encore.

poncho167

2019 Essence
The Encore is and is supposed to be quieter than the Trax mostly because of the additional insulation including the thicker windshield and front windows. Premium cars are generally quieter and you pay a more premium for it.

mshultz

2019 Encore Essence AWD
Thanks for the responses so far. I rode in a Cadillac Escalade many years ago. It had wind noise from the mirrors at highway speed, which I do not experience in my Encore.

DocBrown

2016 Encore Sport Touring
The Encore is and is supposed to be quieter than the Trax mostly because of the additional insulation including the thicker windshield and front windows. Premium cars are generally quieter and you pay a more premium for it.
If I recall all the windows in the Encore are designed to minimize sound.

Also the Encore has microphones in the car that read the ambient noise and adjust a white noise pattern to further minimize noise. There is, next to the spare tire, a box that looks like a subwoofer. That's the noise suppression amplifier.

mshultz

2019 Encore Essence AWD
Yes, I have to wrestle with it every time I check the spare tire pressure, which is at least twice a year. The high-pressure spares lose air quickly.

Since my car came with a second cargo mat on top of the one that covers the spare tire compartment, I've been wondering if that affects the subwoofer and noise cancellation. I need to remove it and see what happens some day.

Riz

2017 Encore AWD
If I recall all the windows in the Encore are designed to minimize sound.

Also the Encore has microphones in the car that read the ambient noise and adjust a white noise pattern to further minimize noise. There is, next to the spare tire, a box that looks like a subwoofer. That's the noise suppression amplifier.
The ANC system in the Encore also has a vehicle RPM input as well to help with periodic engine noise cancellation in addition to the microphones for road noise cancellation.

DocBrown

Since my car came with a second cargo mat on top of the one that covers the spare tire compartment, I've been wondering if that affects the subwoofer and noise cancellation. I need to remove it and see what happens some day.
Most likely not. It's the microphones in the car that affect it. There was a post here last year where someone who packed for a trip literally packed the back area up to the ceiling. They noticed a marked increase in noise levels because they were blocking a microphone.

Still, if you do this let us know what happens.

mshultz

2019 Encore Essence AWD
I removed the cargo cover today, and folded the back seats down so that I could carry 4 sheets of 2'x4' plywood, a new push mower in its box, and a new bathroom sink in its box. I also had a few groceries on the passenger seat. Unlike previous vehicles, removing the cargo cover and folding down the rear seats did not increase the noise level.

DocBrown

I removed the cargo cover today, and folded the back seats down so that I could carry 4 sheets of 2'x4' plywood, a new push mower in its box, and a new bathroom sink in its box. I also had a few groceries on the passenger seat. Unlike previous vehicles, removing the cargo cover and folding down the rear seats did not increase the noise level.
If I recall the mic is somewhere in or near the headliner. So if you still had that exposed I'd think your noise suppression system would be good.

poncho167

2019 Essence
They actually carry a decent amount of stuff. I saw a picture on another forum where an owner had several clothes dressers loaded. It has over 48 square feet of storage with the seat flat not to mention the front seat goes flat enabling 10' objects. Other than groceries my longest object was a 4' shelf.

DocBrown

That's a clever idea. I'd never do this because I have both a truck and a wagon also but this could be useful for some people.

mshultz

2019 Encore Essence AWD
I rode in my nephew's 2020 Ram Pickup truck last month. If you are taking a cross-country trip with the family, a crew cab pickup truck is the way to go. 5 people could ride comfortably. He's a big boy, so the front seat was all the way back. There was still room to set the urn box containing my parents' cremains on the center floor in the back between my sister and me. I think the urn box was about 12" by 17".

The Ram pickup truck with the 5.7L V8 would be much quicker than my Encore, but I think my Encore is quieter and rides better. The Encore direct injection engine is much quieter at idle, a real advantage at the fast food drive-thru.

OldWhiteChevy

I've test driven several different Encores and a Trax, and I didn't see too much difference in noise levels. The ride quality was another story...the Trax was not uncomfortable, but the Encore definitely had that cushy Buick "feel" to it, almost like the Electras and LeSabres of my youth. :D

Get your turbo buick badge right here!