Encore stock Audio Mods Get most out of sound for cheap!

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey just wanted to share a simple upgrade to sound system. I got convenience package with stock radio (Not Bose) and did not like dynamic range and general sound quality right away. Decided to do simple DIY upgrade to sound system speakers. When I took door trim panels off it was obvious why they sounded sub par. My Buick had paper cone speakers in it! Its hard to find those in store nowadays.... It was just as cheap as it can be.... I don't blame GM for this since the vehicle cost was low and it makes sense to cut costs if results are acceptable to most people.
To cut story short I used 4 POLK Audio DB651S coaxial speakers that I had (6.5") diameter. Removing stock speaker was easy (they held with one screw) then I had to drill 4 new holes to hold Polks to the door frame. The original speaker opening was not a true circle, it had side tab cutouts for original plastic shell speakers, so I closed those tab openings with aluminum strips, glued to backside of the door. And after installing round Polks, I used clear silicone to go around speaker and make sure there is a seal between new speaker and door frame. Now, there was a concern that coaxial speaker may be too tall to fit and will interfere with door trim, but because the original speaker has tall plastic shell itself, and sealing new speakers was done flash with the door frame, there was no issues with door trim at all on all 4 doors of the car.
The connector that GM uses on speaker wire harness was something I kept. Then using 1.5V AA battery you verify + and - position on Polks, compare to original speaker polarity and soldered cut off connector to POLK speakers, that allowed for seamless harness connection to new speakers.
after doing same thing to all 4 doors, The result was immediately obvious.
All my friend who got into the car were WOWED! High frequency was very precise (it was absent with stock setup) Low frequency got deeper and very accurate not muddy rumble bass as it was. Now when I play CD everyone understand how nice the sound is and how bad it sounds on Sirius satellite! New speakers increased dynamic range drastically and makes me now enjoy the sound even on FM when I drive to work.
Side note I personally dont like BOSE systems. I dont care for their sound quality , but more important is that BOSE uses proprietary setup amplifiers and wiring that may make it very difficult to upgrade to newer speakers and/or radio if you wanted to. So I like to get basic setup and them modify it to my liking.
Original speakes were 4 Ohms, Polks were 4 Ohms, so it was electrically transparent setup to do. I would recommend speaker upgrade to anyone who enjoys great sound quality. Stock radio is more than capable to give you that (not the stock speakers unfortunately).

Last edited:

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Nice upgrade !!

I wonder what the Bose speakers are made of? I'd like to take a look at mine. I hope they aren't just paper with a bigger amp, like the ones you found.

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2014 White Encore Premium FWD
Nice upgrade !!

I wonder what the Bose speakers are made of? I'd like to take a look at mine. I hope they aren't just paper with a bigger amp, like the ones you found.

Well...Here's the Bose speakers and they are made of a paper-like material, DSCF2058.jpg DSCF2059.jpg

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Well...Here's the Bose speakers and they are made of a paper-like material, View attachment 6570 View attachment 6571

Wow, they look cheap. I wonder if that is polypropylene on the Bose speaker? Then I wonder what the difference in the stock system is, other than the sub in the trunk, and the Bose stickers on the doors?

Maybe the original poster, GoMich, could post up a picture of the stock speakers for comparing.

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Well, here are speakers from front and rear door. The connector on backside is cut off and re-used as per my post.
The fact that BOSE uses paper speakers in Auto and Home so-called "PREMIUM" systems is well known and as you guys mention -cheap.
I find that definition of "PREMIUM" sound system that has paper speakers from last century and that you have to pay extra to get it - an oxymoron. There are plenty of information on what BOSE does in terms of sound and paper speakers online if you are interested.
Let me know if you have more questions.
FrontDoor.jpg
RearDoor.jpg

adrunk

Silicon Valley
Buick Ownership
1-16-1992
i totally understand the need/ desire to make something good enough >>> better

great job !

i was just blasting some led zep the song remains the same from 1976 last week on xm 70s

the encores sound system was totally adequate ...

although, i wouldnt have said that then !

:headbang:

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Well, here are speakers from front and rear door. The connector on backside is cut off and re-used as per my post.
The fact that BOSE uses paper speakers in Auto and Home so-called "PREMIUM" systems is well known and as you guys mention -cheap.
I find that definition of "PREMIUM" sound system that has paper speakers from last century and that you have to pay extra to get it - an oxymoron. There are plenty of information on what BOSE does in terms of sound and paper speakers online if you are interested.
Let me know if you have more questions.
View attachment 6581
View attachment 6582

Wow! Thanks for the picture, and the time to post them.

Does the non-Bose system have the sub in the spare tire? Or the microphones in the roof liner? Or the quiet technology?

Or did I just pay extra for two little metal "Bose" placards on the door speakers?

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes stock system has a BOSE branded insert in spare tire as well and 3 microphones in roof liner. However I did some testing with that thing being disconnected and re-connected and listened to it close by- its useless. No audible sound comes from it to any discernible degree. I am thinking of using it as a Frisbee with my kids, would more use out of it!
Active Noise Cancelling is done on both Stock and BOSE systems, however there might be differences between them since BOSE has more speakers and uses BOSE brand speakers not generic ones. Bose is known to use proprietary equalization in their amplifiers to get a "different" sound feel.
If you want to get a decent sounding sub, without a doubt BOSE Frisbee needs to go. I am questioning why GM spent money on that "SUB WOOFER" that is not a SUB WOOFER?! Something can be engineered in garage to be placed into spare tire with 8-10 inch driver. That will also require separate Sub Amplifier and wiring.

Last edited:

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
I found the difference between Bose and Stock audio systems and sub woofer usage in spare tire, that explaines my early observation.

On stock system, the subwoofer is used only to reproduce engine noise cancellation tones. On BOSE speaker system, the subwoofer is used for both reproducing audio and the active noise cancellation.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I found the difference between Bose and Stock audio systems and sub woofer usage in spare tire, that explaines my early observation.

On stock system, the subwoofer is used only to reproduce engine noise cancellation tones. On BOSE speaker system, the subwoofer is used for both reproducing audio and the active noise cancellation.

Interesting.

Another note on the spare tire "Frisbee".

I tried to remove my spare to check the air pressure in it, and when I removed the Frisbee, I found the power wire to it was plastic tie wrapped to the car body so short that I could not set the Frisbee out of the way enough to get the spare tire out of the well.

So I cut the plastic tie wrap and went up to the kitchen and found one of those Glad bag twist ties. I replaced the plastic tie wrap with that so now if I have to get to my spare, at least I won't damage that "expensive" audio equipment.

texasmartins

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore Base, Cocoa Silver
GoMich can you discuss removing the door trim panels? What are the challenges in getting the trim panels off? Also, were the stock rear and front speakers each 4 ohms? I may end up just replacing the door speakers so I would probably try to use the existing plastic enclosure and finding high quality speakers that would fit in place. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

texasmartins

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore Base, Cocoa Silver
GoMich, are the stock front and rear speakers the same size? Looks like the fronts are woofers and the back are two-way coaxial speakers.

Glenn

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes both fronts and back are same size 6.5" but in custom plastic shell. Both are non coaxial single band paper cone speakers. Rear one have an extra cone in center, however its not a separate speaker in the center, just a paper cone.
Front ones are intended to reproduce base sound more than rear. Also the radio itself has a preset bias toward front speakers where most of volume comes from front, not rear even if fade is set to center. When I put Polks in front and rear, front ones do most of Base reproduction, rear produce Mid range to hi band the sound on hi notes was greatly improved since Base tweeters in the A Pillars are not capable to fill the whole vehicle cabin with Hi band sound- they are too weak to do so and point only slightly inward. They were almost useless in my testing.

Last edited:

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hiya,

I'm reposting this from a related thread.

"I'm getting stuck with installers who are guessing how the system is set up instead of knowing, which is nerve wracking. If anyone can help --

1. The base Encore has the non-Bose system. However, it does have subwoofer on the rear tire. What is hard to determine is how and where that 'frisbee' is powered. There appears to be a little amp to the right of the tire behind some plastic. If that is true -- do all the speakers get amped through there or just the subwoofrisbee?

2. Sound cancellation. One of my installers says it can result in a rumble. Like I'll suddenly hear that system loud and clear. He also said that once you connect better speakers to system, the car chimes get much louder. Any of this true?"

What I'm attempting to do (based upon a Crutchfield conversation) is add a Kicker component system to the front tweeters and front door speakers. Crutch has assured me the 6 & 3/4 size will fit in 6.5 doors. The rear two doors are getting these --

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CRT672/Kicker-40CWRT672.html?tp=111

I know, a bit pricey, but thanks to Amazon points I got this small Rockford Fosgate amp for free. I'm not looking for BANGING BASS but a nice warm system.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PBR...arch=Rockford_Fosgate_PBR300X4_Punch&skipvs=T

So the potential expense I'm bumping into is if the Rockford can juice everything up front... or... if it has to be installed in the back where the sub is.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!