engine alternatives for 2011 3.6L?

jdekroon

Buick Ownership
2011 LaCrosse CXS
My daughter drove our 2011 LaCrosse CXS with only 95k miles in 1st gear at redline (she couldn't understand why it was so loud and wouldn't go faster than 40 mph) until the engine gave out catastrophically. So I am looking for a replacement engine. It seems the 3.6L LLT that this car comes with is so much more expensive ($2.5k+) than other newer 3.6L engines like the LFX. Are there any other engines that will work? Thanks in advance for helping a new forum member!

FD611V

A spot somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
My daughter drove our 2011 LaCrosse CXS with only 95k miles in 1st gear at redline (she couldn't understand why it was so loud and wouldn't go faster than 40 mph) until the engine gave out catastrophically. So I am looking for a replacement engine. It seems the 3.6L LLT that this car comes with is so much more expensive ($2.5k+) than other newer 3.6L engines like the LFX. Are there any other engines that will work? Thanks in advance for helping a new forum member!
What gives you the idea the engine is beyond trying to get it fixed? Have you tried to get it to run? First, check the oil and give it a smell...does it smell it is "burnt" oil? Here is a way to get the damage. Remove the fuel line to the injectors. Also, get you a "remote starter button" ...you may buy one from auto parts store if you don't have one, and connect it to the starter Bendix and the other cable to the positive battery cable to turn over the engine. If there is a lot of internal noise like rod knocking/banging, and just noise from a damaged engine you will know it is beyond you doing the repairs. If all appears normal by turning the engine over with the remote way, I would change the oil and filter and see it starts by the ignition key way. If it runs and sounds normal I would drive it a short distance and it it idle to get the engine temp up and see what occurs.
Get back you what you find.

Last edited:

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You have more than one thread on the same topic

Get your turbo buick badge right here!