Engine Mods?

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
2018+ Regal has nothing available for mods. I don't think there will b any aftermarket performance mods for this generation Regal due to the low sale numbers.

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal 2.0L Turbo
I purchased a new throttle body and have enlarged the venturi, using my Fordham. My son and I used to race a two-cycle go-kart many years ago, we were governed by rules created by the FIA. The modifications we made to the carb, which were permitted, made a lot of difference to the performance. I have to remove the cool air charge supply tube that feeds the original throttle body, but I have not been able to find out how to remove the tube. Went to a Buick dealer the other day and they had no idea what I was talking about. Where can I purchase a workshop manual??

Buick Ownership
I covered part of the exhaust with header wrap tonight. The heat generated in the engine bay is scary. I have removed the plastic cover from the top of the engine to try and cool down the engine bay. I have wrapped some of the hoses with aluminum foil to prevent melting the hoses and some of the wiring. I have covered some of the exposed wirings with that flexible corrugated hose stuff.

Buick Ownership
I have replaced the spark plugs and was surprised to see that the plugs seem to be burning rich. I don't know if that is normal with the turbo engine??

I have been looking for performance ignition coils, but have not found any yet??

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I have a HPTuners scan of a 2017 Regal GS AWD down the 1/4 mile and it does look like AFR is a little rich here and there.

From the scans I converted Equivalence Ratio command to AFR ratio.
ECM uses EQ ratio for fueling,... ( Same thing as Lambda, but opposite lol. ie... 1 = 14.68..., 0.9 = 13.2, ie 14.68 x 0.9 = 13.2,... 0.8 = 11.74 and so on. )

First gear - 2,750 to 6,000 rpm = 14.0 to 12.5 afr
Second gear - 4,400 to 6,375 rpm = 12.1 to 12.0 afr
Third gear - 4,400 to 6,350 rpm = 12.1 to 11.3 afr
Fourth gear - 4,900 to 5,450 rpm = 11.3 to 10.8 afr

Going by the AFR command in the scan is as follows....

1st = 13.0 to 10.95
2nd = 11.45 to 10.95
3rd = 11.45 to 10.70
4th = 10.7 to 10.30

The Actual AFR is unknown because this car does not have a Wideband 02. So I would have to install one to verify the true AFR.

My 2018 Sportback has Factory Widebad 02 sensors, so It shows me exactly what it's commanding and exactly what the real AFR is in the exhaust. And it's nice to see in the scans the Actual AFR in my 2018 Regal is identical to the AFR commanded. With very tiny discrepancies here and there.

Buick Ownership
I have a HPTuners scan of a 2017 Regal GS AWD down the 1/4 mile and it does look like AFR is a little rich here and there.

From the scans I converted Equivalence Ratio command to AFR ratio.
ECM uses EQ ratio for fueling,... ( Same thing as Lambda, but opposite lol. ie... 1 = 14.68..., 0.9 = 13.2, ie 14.68 x 0.9 = 13.2,... 0.8 = 11.74 and so on. )

First gear - 2,750 to 6,000 rpm = 14.0 to 12.5 afr
Second gear - 4,400 to 6,375 rpm = 12.1 to 12.0 afr
Third gear - 4,400 to 6,350 rpm = 12.1 to 11.3 afr
Fourth gear - 4,900 to 5,450 rpm = 11.3 to 10.8 afr

Going by the AFR command in the scan is as follows....

1st = 13.0 to 10.95
2nd = 11.45 to 10.95
3rd = 11.45 to 10.70
4th = 10.7 to 10.30

The Actual AFR is unknown because this car does not have a Wideband 02. So I would have to install one to verify the true AFR.

My 2018 Sportback has Factory Widebad 02 sensors, so It shows me exactly what it's commanding and exactly what the real AFR is in the exhaust. And it's nice to see in the scans the Actual AFR in my 2018 Regal is identical to the AFR commanded. With very tiny discrepancies here and there.

Buick Ownership
Wowser, you have me totally confused. You are speaking Greek to me. I am 71 years old and have no idea what to do with anything electronic, I wish I did. When my son and I used to race with the two-cycle engine from Italy, we were presented with the engines and they came without any form of instructions. We would take the engines apart and measure clearances and did our best to record the
torque settings. I would take one of the engines and polish and port the passageways when they looked good we would go and race. Nothing exotic. The other engine was left completely stock. We were sold various carburetors from Europe and told that this or that was the best carb or the best pipe. We were sponsored at one point in time by a motorcycle shop, the owner was a wiz with two cycle stuff, he had a dyno, we tested our machine with various components and did find the "fast" pipe or carb, we also knew a gentleman who used to be a team mechanic who tuned a motorcycle for the race in Ireland. I have polished the inside of a new throttle body and will install it once I discover how to remove the pipe that comes from the turbo and goes to the throttle body. I am amazed at how much power the engine can produce in my 2017 Buick. My goal is not to go faster, just trying to get better mileage by tuning the throttle body, if that is possible. It seems to me that the stock machine when we buy it is put together by a person on the factory floor, who is not very interested in what he is doing. I have always felt that if a person has a desire to get better performance out of a car, all we need to do is take apart the car and put it back together with care and attention to detail. I believe that is what they do with the Mercedes AMG, whatever it is called. Just having fun. I have difficulty in believing that it is possible to tune the engine by using a computer program.

If anyone has any idea as to how the hard plastic tube can be disconnected from the throttle body, I sure would like to know how.

Most of the mechanics or technicians that work at dealerships have no idea how the machines they sell or service work.

fng

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
When I tried to select a vehicle at alldatadiy, it didn't even offer 2018 as a possible selection. I was not impressed, since 2019 vehicles are already at the dealerships. I understand that the 2018s are under warranty (and typically have a year or two of scheduled maintenance covered by the manufacturer), so the independent shops aren't going to do much work on them.

IL
Buick Ownership
none
It looks like the Regal TourX and Sportback use the GM Ecotec LTG engine, also used, with various tunes, in the ATS, Malibu, CTS, CT6, Envision, Equinox, the low-end Camaro.

There must be plenty of people experienced with this engine, if not the particular hull in which it sits.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
It looks like the Regal TourX and Sportback use the GM Ecotec LTG engine, also used, with various tunes, in the ATS, Malibu, CTS, CT6, Envision, Equinox, the low-end Camaro.

There must be plenty of people experienced with this engine, if not the particular hull in which it sits.
Exactly; that was one of the many things that drew me to this car.

If you buy a performance part from one of those other applications, you might have to alter it in order to get it to fit in our cars. There should otherwise be plenty of aftermarket engine support even if the 2018+ Regals become sales duds.

Philadelphia, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The big flash tuners support this engine, I would reach out for status on the buick implementation:

Trifecta Tune
IPF

They claim some crazy whp/wtq numbers on stock cars.

I’ve seen sport exhausts for the opel insignia touring on ebay, so there is probably support thru opel/vauxhaul/holden (and bonus: you get rid of the fake exhaust tips haha).

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have 2 Kappa platform LFN 2.0 Ecotec Turbo cars that have been upgrade tuned. The Solstice Coupe has the GMPP tune. Our Saturn Sky RL has an aftermarket tune. The Coupe was supposed to be base 260 hp/260tq and 19mpg city/28mpg highway. With the GMPP tune it took the power to about 290hp/340tq. In over 40k miles I have averaged over 28.3 mpg.
I'll be acquiring our 2018 TourX next weekend.
I would like to see if better Hp & Torque could be attained from the TourX's 2.0 Ecotec to also get better fuel economy? Hope GM offers dealer or aftermarket tune available soon! The GMPP tune for the LFN was a different chip and tweaking to the ECM. More Power, More Fun, Better Mileage. In the Kappa world that's known as PermaGrin!

Buick Ownership
Would anyone have an idea as to what are the differences between ignition coils? I have been looking around looking for an aftermarket set of ignition coils for my 2017 Buick Regal 2.0L Turbo. I have asked Jegs, Accel etc where I could get a set. Not for performance just to dress up the engine compartment. No one has been able to give me direction.

Still asking if anyone can tell me how to remove the supply tube from the top of the throttle body??

Who are the Buick aftermarket suppliers??

Best Regards

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Would anyone have an idea as to what are the differences between ignition coils? I have been looking around looking for an aftermarket set of ignition coils for my 2017 Buick Regal 2.0L Turbo. I have asked Jegs, Accel etc where I could get a set. Not for performance just to dress up the engine compartment. No one has been able to give me direction.

Still asking if anyone can tell me how to remove the supply tube from the top of the throttle body??

Who are the Buick aftermarket suppliers??

Best Regards

I've never taken the charge piping off, but looking at this picture, the wire must be removed. Where the blue marker is, that's the direction towards it would be removed. For the wire doesn't encompass the whole pipe, but it ends on each side where those 2 back ears are.

GM-charge-pipe-clamp.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.